Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #1

How long do the Oasis AC I & II last

I had a 2004 diesel coach for 11 years with a propane water heater that had an electric heater element also. We used the electric heater most of the time except when hot water was needed quickly. Never had to replace the electric element.

Considering how quick the Oasis summer pumps are going bad, mine included twice, I was wondering how long the Oasis I & II electric heating elements can be expected to last.

Any experience from users on replacement schedules?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I had a 2004 diesel coach for 11 years with a propane water heater that had an electric heater element also. We used the electric heater most of the time except when hot water was needed quickly. Never had to replace the electric element.

Considering how quick the Oasis summer pumps are going bad, mine included twice, I was wondering how long the Oasis I & II electric heating elements can be expected to last.

Any experience from users on replacement schedules?

Interesting question, will stay tuned for replies.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Glad I have company. Afraid some of my questions might seem a little newbe.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think the pump issue is it’s own problem....as I have not heard of many other problems with the Oasis besides the pumps. And electric elements should last a long time...as they do in propane/electric water heaters.

Will be curious what others have seen.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following...

I just had the same thought cross my mind.

We had the combustion fan go out while staying in cold temps...like too cold for heat pump cold. So...without having the diesel burner...I turned off the rear zone...but kept the front zone on furnace. It was only getting heat from AC1 + AC2. We purchased a ceramic heater for the bedroom...which I power from a outlet I have added which runs off of main AC...not the inverter.

We managed to stay very warm.

It did make me wonder...using the two electric elements this much, when can I expect a failure? Do I need spares?

My combustion fan comes in sometime this week. I will install it before we head up to Georgia next month.

You really don't think too much about Oasis...until it's cold out, and you don't have it.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have regularly ran the Oasis furnace and water heater on the electric heating elements. There is sufficient heat to have a nice hot shower even running only one element. Similarly I have heated the MH using the electric elements but realize the two elements do not output near as much heat as the diesel burner. So don’t expect the system to adequately heat the entire MH in 10 degree weather.

We recently traded our ‘13 Essex for a ‘19 MA and before that we had an ‘07 MA with the HydroHot system. Again I regularly used the electric heating element and I have never replaced them.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
They should last much longer given the fact that the elements are immersed in the glycol solution, rather than straight water. That's my assumption and not based upon any facts.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

Before I list my problems, I have to state I really like the Oasis and I won't say this is normal or indicative of the majority.
Now more to the point, AC 1 went out about a month after I bought the motorhome new in 2016. Since I was new to the oasis and the AC 2 worked I really didn't know I had something wrong for a while. As everybody has listed I had one of the pumps go out which they sent a replacement at no charge. I went this way for a while until I finally realized AC 1 was not working and waited until I had other issues to bring it in to the dealer at three years old. Just used the burner to supplement showers.
When I got it to the dealer they replaced the element and did a three year maintenance (that was pricey) while they were working on these things the tech found the control board fried and had to replace that also. Thank goodness I had an extended warranty that paid for everything. Works as intended now.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A quick way to check the AC1 and AC2 is to look at the Precision Circuits Electrical Managment panel. If the air conditioners aren't running...before you flip the Oasis switch pull up the Leg 1 and Leg 2 current draw. Then turn on AC1 + AC2... each element is connected to a separate Leg...so both current readings should bump up an equal amount. If one doesn't move...it's probably a goner.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #10

We use our coach about 6 months a year and use AC1/2 all the time. I only turn on the burner to exercise it a few times a year. Original elements still in place after 7 years . We stay in warm weather places, so the oasis is used only for water heating. Heat pumps provide interior heat.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
They should last much longer given the fact that the elements are immersed in the glycol solution, rather than straight water. That's my assumption and not based upon any facts.
This is correct!

The elements aren't subject to minerals like the elements in standard water heaters.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #12

Appreciate all the replys, makes me feel a little better about using them all the time. About the only time we use the burner is if we've been gone all day and the coach is cold needing quck warm up, or taking a shower using real cold ground water.
I always watch the Energy Management Control when turning on AC I then II to be sure each one is drawing current.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I look at all the coach components this way......I take good care of my equipment, I service it regularly and I use it as intended. If I worried about everything that MIGHT break, I would quit camping. I try to carry enough tools and equipment to fix things on the road, if needed. Even though something may break, it's not always a trip stopper.

I'm not necessarily a smart guy when it comes to repairs, but I spend a LOT of time reading the repairs that others do. I try to place all those little repair tidbits in the old memory bank for future use. I don't read books and I like to watch a lot of TV, when I'm not busy. Reading and typing here is something I do to stimulate my mind and beat back future Alzheimer issues by keeping my mind working. I even read threads that I don't have much interest in and often pickup new information.

So...…...don't fret over what MIGHT break, enjoy your RV and know that if you take good care of your equipment, you limit the chance of it failing. Whenever I start to worry about breakdowns, especially when traversing a desolate area, I always spot some old beater RV and know that if he can make it, I can make it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As a sperate post....here is what I do with my Oasis unit. At the beginning of a trip, I turn on the Oasis unit at the outside main control panel. When I arrive at a campground and I'm operating the slides and satellite at the front control panel, I turn on whatever system I think I will need depending on the shore power source and the weather. Typically, in the winter, I turn on AC1 and AC2. In the summer, AC1 only.

When I break camp and I'm bringing in the slides and lowering the antenna, I turn off the AC elements and or the burner.

If I'm on the last leg home, I turn off the Oasis system completely, at the outside control panel, as I'm disconnecting shore power and water for the last time.

Even though people say you can leave these systems on, why take the chance a pump is running unnecessarily or have units turn on when you plug into shore power. I wait until I know the power is on in the coach and then turn units on and off.

I also do the yearly service of the Oasis unit, changing the external fuel filter every two years.

Knock on wood, but I've had the Oasis unit in my 2014 for 5 years and in my 2019 for a year now. In six years, I had one igniter start to sputter and quit. I carry a spare service kit (which I swap with a new kit when I do the service each year) and replaced the igniter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis