Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

When looking at a coach in the 43 to 45 ft range such as a DSDP or a MADP, I know 2 is usually standard, but the 3rd is a frequently selected option. I suspect 3 are needed since that is what seems popular. But my question really is from the perspective of if I am looking at coaches should having only 2 be a deal breaker.

The obvious first question is probably where do I want to use the coach and I suspect the worst case would be the fact that I would like to be in Las Vegas for the WSOP in July/August every year if I can. I would also like to go to Mexico, but that would be in the winter.
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

When looking at a coach in the 43 to 45 ft range such as a DSDP or a MADP, I know 2 is usually standard, but the 3rd is a frequently selected option. I suspect 3 are needed since that is what seems popular. But my question really is from the perspective of if I am looking at coaches should having only 2 be a deal breaker.

The obvious first question is probably where do I want to use the coach and I suspect the worst case would be the fact that I would like to be in Las Vegas for the WSOP in July/August every year if I can. I would also like to go to Mexico, but that would be in the winter.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #3

Las Vegas-3, Mexico-3, Wyoming-2, Florida-3, Gulf Coast-3....it should be a deal breaker.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I know opinions are like....oh never mind, but my opinion after over a year with a 45 footer is.....THREE!!

I may the exception rather than the rule,but more is better in my book...I have two in the salon area of the coach and one over top the bedroom area and here in Florida there are times I use ALL THREE.

With the front AC running most of the time in sunlight and with the benefit of a common plenun for all three, I think you're better off.

Sure, you could "get by" with two, but who wants to get by?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #5

How do you use all 2 or 3 air conditioners at the same time.
38` ds with 2
Thanks, Rich
Rich Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #6

3 without a doubt. We run 3 with 50 amp shore power or the 8KW genny-no problem.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #7

Hey Bruce,
I would agree with all the suggestions and go with 3. Some times in extreme heat three can had a tough time keeping the coach driver's area cool. 2 Definitely a deal breaker.
Thanks, Daryl

2008 MADP 4521
2006 Acura TL Toad
Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I was just in Vegas in August with my DSDP with only two. Absolutely THREE and it would be a deal breaker if I was looking for a new unit.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harm:
I was just in Vegas in August with my DSDP with only two. Absolutely THREE and it would be a deal breaker if I was looking for a new unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can a third AC unit be added. If I found a coach of interest and it has only two is this fixable assuming the price on the coach is good otherwise.
I seem to recall that the 3rd air unit as a factory option was about $1500. To install an additional one would we be talking close to that 1500, or more like 3000, or even 6000. Also would I be exposing myself to future leaks?

Based on the answers to this thread I know I want 3, the question is if it is fixable if a coach does not have 3.

Thanks for all your helpfull answers so far.
-- Bruce
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had some interesting discussions with my friend over the subject of "cutting holes in the roof of a motor home" over the years. He says "Heck NO"! I say there are a large number of holes in the roof of every motorhome, going back many, many years. If properly installed and sealed, I see absolutely no reason for concern, However he is not impressed. It won't lower the value of the rig one penny-- they depreciate fast enough on their own-- I'd vote for the install of # 3, Especially if they "sweeten the pot",
Max H
'02 Mountain Aire, 37', W-22 (gasser)
Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can a third AC unit be added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bruce! What brand, model, and floor plan?? Paul
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can a third AC unit be added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bruce! What brand, model, and floor plan?? Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No specific unit yet, but based on the conversation above I see 3 as required. Through online adds only (so far) I have identified a couple of MADP and Travel Supreme units that the only shortcoming (on paper at least) is 2 AC units. So I am just wondering if it is correctable.
Hope you had a good trip up to Indiana, Since I know you are visiting the factory maybe you could ask the question there and see what they think.
I have even seen some DSDP units in dealer inventory with only 2 AC's. The real question to ask the factory is if it was a deal breaker on a new in stock unit and the dealer offered to install the AC would they stand behind the warrenty and reccomend it or not.

Besides, if I just wait for you to trade up I will have a well equipped debugged unit to consider.

Bruce
Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe all 40' DSDP's have 2 ACs, and do not have roof framing for a third unit, whereas 43' models have a third AC as an option.

If the roof is not framed for a third unit it could be quite expensive to add one after the fact.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if I just wait for you to trade up I will have a well equipped debugged unit to consider </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bruce! There is a nice black colored King Aire on the other side of the fence. Rear Bath floor plan. Anyway Dirk has answered your question. If you find a specific unit that meets your needs, you can call the factory with the Serial Number and they should be able to tell you if that unit can be modified. Keep in mind what Dirk said. I don't know anything about Travel Supreme. Paul