Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

How Much Customization ????

I am ordering a new Mountain Aire and am glad that I didn't rush as fast as I was going to as I keep learning. After reading running posts on here and doing searches in older posts I am learning that Newmar does a lot of customization if the customer wants to pay.

I thought about buying an Essex but it would work out to approx. an extra $200K the way I had them both optioned out and I like the 4330 floor plan of the Mountain Aire better.

Question: What are Newmar's limit's with respect to customization? I was blown away when I read in a post that someone even got them to do a custom floor plan? One of the thing's that I really like about the Essex is it's beautiful dash? Will they tile the front entry step's and sidewall's beside the entry step's?

What are some stories of the most customization on a Mountain Aire?

Thank you,

Adam
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar is not always consistent on what they will do as a special and the floorplan will affect what specials they may do.

Always ask the factory rep to check on something you want and ask what specials they have done that may be close to what you want.

Also Carlyle Lehman does excellent work and he's a few miles from the factory. I had him do several things for me.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Newmar is not always consistent on what they will do as a special and the floorplan will affect what specials they may do.

Always ask the factory rep to check on something you want and ask what specials they have done that may be close to what you want.

Also Carlyle Lehman does excellent work and he's a few miles from the factory. I had him do several things for me.
Exactly! We spent two days in an identical coach(factory spec) to the one we were ordering before ordering our specials. Out of 30, two were turned down.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnny View Post
I am ordering a new Mountain Aire and am glad that I didn't rush as fast as I was going to as I keep learning. After reading running posts on here and doing searches in older posts I am learning that Newmar does a lot of customization if the customer wants to pay.

I thought about buying an Essex but it would work out to approx. an extra $200K the way I had them both optioned out and I like the 4330 floor plan of the Mountain Aire better.

Question: What are Newmar's limit's with respect to customization? I was blown away when I read in a post that someone even got them to do a custom floor plan? One of the thing's that I really like about the Essex is it's beautiful dash? Will they tile the front entry step's and sidewall's beside the entry step's?

What are some stories of the most customization on a Mountain Aire?

Thank you,

Adam
While Newmar did allow us to roughly design several changes to a King Aire standard floor plan, they would never allow me to design my own complete floor plan, but one can only hope.

The following link shows the modifications Newmar did for us:

Flying, Diving, Cruising, and RVing! » Interior Shots

Sue
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

I know everyone likes to have a new RV but you could take what you are going to pay for a new Mountaire and buy a good 1 to 3 year old Essex. That's what I did. All the new bugs are run out of it. Ask new buyers how much time is spent running back to dealer or factory the first year getting things fixed. PLUS++I paid around $85,000 less almost 3 years ago what NADA says it's worth today. You might not have all the options you'd like but you would have a load of bucks to play with. I'll bet you can almost pick up a good used King Aire.

Besides ,the reason I found mine is Newmar didn't want to customize a new '08 Essex for the original owner so he was going to trade it in on a $1.4 mill foretravel. Which he did.

Besides, a Mountaire needs at least a 500HP.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I know everyone likes to have a new RV but you could take what you are going to pay for a new Mountaire and buy a good 1 to 3 year old Essex. That's what I did. All the new bugs are run out of it. Ask new buyers how much time is spent running back to dealer or factory the first year getting things fixed. PLUS++I paid around $85,000 less almost 3 years ago what NADA says it's worth today. You might not have all the options you'd like but you would have a load of bucks to play with. I'll bet you can almost pick up a good used King Aire.

Besides ,the reason I found mine is Newmar didn't want to customize a new '08 Essex for the original owner so he was going to trade it in on a $1.4 mill foretravel. Which he did.

Perry White,

I hear ya. I already know what you are telling me but I am a new kinda guy. I am way to picky and fanatical to buy used. After walking through the 4330 floor plan I don't think I could go back to a closed in dark kitchen floor plan with the dinette facing my neighbour. If I am going to buy used it would be a used Prevost XLII conversion. I actually got close on one but even it would require too many modifications such as adding an Aquahot system to make it work so I abandoned the idea. I also know what you are saying about the first year bugs to work out as I had a lot of really bad experiences with my Allegro Bus to the point that it would almost be technically impossible to get any worse.

Adam
Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had them remove two walls and two pocket doors around the commode then substitute a vanity from a MA in our DSDP. The next year they offered that same floorplan option. In fact it came to over $35,000 in extra's and options (in 2002 $$) and we didn't get the real tile floors. The only thing they wouldn't do was put the hydro hot in. Even got MA countertops.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

We looked at the new King Aire and Essex, but, if were ever need to buy another rig I think we'll look more closely at used ones. We got kind of close on a '06 Essex but it would have taken a rebuild of the dinette and tires all the way around. I just put new tires on the DSDP and didn't want to go that route again so soon.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #9

Remember that the new Mountain Aire is on a Freightliner chassis. Not a Spartan K2 no more.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

Be very, very careful, and make sure everything is in writing and/or in pictures. I ordered an Essex with custom carpet under the sofa, Mountainaire Dinette (squared corners keep the cats in sight), and King Aire finished cabinets; thanks to another member of this forum who saw it being built and sent me pictures, I was able to catch the mistakes before they shipped it out. Then, both the dealer and Ken W. said they had no recollection of my ordering those specials. Needless to say, it was not much fun!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi hellojohnny,
Newmar's motto is "We mass produce in quantities of one". The only way one can tell if Newmar will do the special request is to ask. The answer all depends on the behind the scenes work that needs to be done and if Newmar feels Brand separation is being retained. Lastly, get what you want in a single list. Do not continue to ask one or two requests at a time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Remember that the new Mountain Aire is on a Freightliner chassis. Not a Spartan K2 no more.
I don't know if that's bad or not though. FL has more service places than Spartan but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me even though I'd prefer the Spartan.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi hellojohnny,
if Newmar feels Brand separation is being retained.
That's why they wouldn't put the Agua Hot in our 2002 DSDP when we ordered it.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
Be very, very careful, and make sure everything is in writing and/or in pictures. I ordered an Essex with custom carpet under the sofa, Mountainaire Dinette (squared corners keep the cats in sight), and King Aire finished cabinets; thanks to another member of this forum who saw it being built and sent me pictures, I was able to catch the mistakes before they shipped it out. Then, both the dealer and Ken W. said they had no recollection of my ordering those specials. Needless to say, it was not much fun!
Don't understand, as "specials" are signed off by Newmar and the customer.