Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #15

Labor rates are regional. The only relevant labor rate is for the place you are thinking of having service at.
I managed all warranty labor rates for Fiat / Chrysler back in the DCX days....We added Automatic Labor Rate Increase program which upped the dealer's warranty rate equal to the change of CPI (consumer price index). The dealer could apply for a manual review to have their warranty rate match their customer pay labor rate. But in general, the rates changed close to CPI with a small percentage requesting more.

California historically had highest regional rates, followed by New York (city / 5 boroughs).

Yes, they have increased. Like everything else including wages. Fixed incomes are the ones that take the bath.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
I would love to see a $1K bill. Just did a 6 month/6,000 mile maintenance service…..$2.7K!!!
What did they do for $2,700 which is roughly 15 hours of work? I can't imagine routine maintenance being that high.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Van View Post
What did you have done and where?
The maintenance followed Freightliners recommendation. At 6 months or 6,000 miles. Alot of inspection items along with oil, oil filter and fuel filter change, Complete chassis lube job. Freightliner also recommends mechanical fan drive gearbox oil change, oil filled hubs oil change, axle lubricant changing.

All work performed at selling dealer in Lewisville TX. Selling dealer also tells me that the 12 month/15,000 mile service is due 6 months after the 6 month service. Not sure I will do this again in May or June. We will be close to Gaffney SC at the 15,000 mile point I will have them perform that service at that time.

My previous coach was also on a freightliner chassis and I had the oil, oil filter and fuel filters changed with chassis lube every 12 months. I would go to SpeedCo and cost about $400 per service. Had complete 48 month 60,000 service done at Gaffney and cost was $2,000.

Dealer is very respected on this forum so I am sure they performed all work as dictated by Freightliner. Just not sure everything Freightliner recommends needs to be done, but they built it so I am sure most of it needs performed.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #18

$195 per hour authorized Spartan shop, $150 private diesel mechanic, Long Island NY.
eng309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #19

I use a place in SoCal that services RVs, has a great reputation, always done right by me, and charges $160/hr.... but.... there is usually a 2+ month wait for an appointment...
Old 12-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #20

Columbus Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We are about 100/hr.
I'm in the Columbus area too. Where do you go for around $100/hour? RCD?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Learn how to do the fluid changes and inspections. It's not that hard, everything is just bigger than a car. I learned and are saving a grand each time. In 10 years that's $10,000 or more.
Read your service manual or get one or get help the first time.
It's done right.
You can do it in your own yard.
Do it when you want, no calling for date/time.
No waiting.
Save thousands.