Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How sufficient is the solar roof panel

Parked my 04 mountain aire at the MIL's and will not return for another 2 weeks. It has been sitting there with only the furnace on 50 degrees and the fridge on low. No other things on but the LP gas leak indicator. I am wondering if the solar charging panel on the roof (factory installed) will keep the batteries charge enough to start the gen or engine when I return? If the batteries go dead, can they be jumped easily? Please advise. I'm hoping I don't have to ask the MIL to go out and figure out how to start the rig or the generator. If you knew her, you would understand my concern in asking her. Thanks for any help you can give me.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO It would of been better to of emptied the refrigerator of spoilables, turned off and left door ajar. Don't know how long your propane will last. Rate of solar charge is based upon how many panels you have on the roof. If refrigerator is working off of 110v invertor, I doubt solar power can provide enough energy. I am hopeful the engine batter would be fine with generator and solar feeding it.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am afraid Doggy Daddy is correct in his posting that 12" square solar panel you are to rely on is only to help the chassis battery not be drained by ECM,TCM, RADIO AND LP Detector.
It has nothing to do with the House batteries.

If you connect your shore power cord into a 110 outlet, some where, than your Bird System would maintain all your battery systems both house and chassis batteries.

It would be best to remove all batteries, check water levels, and put them on a stand alone battery charger to keep charged at your home.

At the very least operate your battery cut off switch to off,your LP Detector switch to off because it feeds of your chassis battery, with batteries off, fridge will not work so clean it out, if it were to run and a Norcold you may not have a MH to come back to.

Can run no furnace no battery's, if its that cold need to winterize plumbing system.

If you cut off all switch's the batteries may have enough power to start your engine and Gen to get all battery's recharged after your two weeks away..after you have taken care of the MH than you should not have any sleepless nights away from your MH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the good advice. I did switch the fridge to LP gas and the ac converter was turned off. The only thing I forgot to turn off was the LP gas indicator. I hope there is enough battery power to either start the generator or the chassis engine when I get back. The weather is mild only down in the low 50's at night so hopefully the furnace shouldn't run much since I set it on 50 degrees.
If nothing starts, guess I'll have to jump start it. I hope that is possible. I'll probably call Good Sam for that.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

When both my chassis and house batteries were dead I jumped the generator from two lug connectors in the front drivers side bin put there for that purpose. Just like jumping a car at that point. Once the generator was started the rest came on line and I could start the engine. That was in a 2010 Ventana, don't know about other models.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I finally got back to my RV in Oregon and both house batteries were dead. Switched the battery boost switch and the generator came to life and charged the house batteries. After about 4 days they held the charge to the max. Headed out to drive my motor home to Boise (where we just bought a new home) and stopped in at les schwab and they checked all batteries. All are in perfect shape. That was peace of mind. They said they were newer batteries by all indications. I didn't know since I bought the rig last October second hand. I finally discovered to use the disengage all batteries switch so when I leave it any length of time that I'm not in it, I just disconnect everything. That really helps to keep the house batteries ready for when I need them. Still a newbie here. LOL

Tags
roof, solar