Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to add bleach to the fresh water tank

We only use our fresh water tank for toilet flushing and hand washing while traveling, but after several years, I think I need to add some bleach to kill any bacteria.

As my only way of filling the tank in my 2007 KSDP seems to be with the hose connection, I was wondering what is the best way to add bleach, and how much.

My first thought is a short hose and funnel.

Is there a correct way, and how much should I add?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
That's what I did.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I use the clear hose used to winterize the tanks. Fill a bucket 7/8 with water 1/8 Clorox. Turn the valves and the pump and suck into the tank. I worry about 100% Clorox on seals, valves, and pump.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
You can just add to your hose and connect it and fill the tank. Or if you have a whole house filter just remove filter and add there.
You want around 50 ppm chlorine to properly sanitize.
If you have 100 gallon tank it is about 1/2 cup of concentrated bleach (8.25%)
Or 1-1/2 cups if not concentrated (5.25%)
Fill tank run till you can smell at each faucet. Let sit for 6-12 hours.
Drain, fill with fresh flush out lines. Repeat till chlorine smell gone.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

1/4 cup per 15 gal.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

All you need to know about ratios from the folks who know:

https://www.cscinc.org/wp-content/re...ip%20Sheet.pdf

Pour enough bleach to match your water tank capacity into your water hose then connect it to the spigot and fill your tank. Run all your faucets until the bleach/water mix comes out. Let it soak for longer than the minimum time and then drain your tank and refill it. Run the faucets again to get the lines clear.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #7

I use this thing, and I suck up the appropriate amount of bleach for my tank size diluted into about a gallon of water.

Jacks Classic 70010 Hozon Brass Siphon Mixer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPBF1Q..._jUGfBbEFG9YG6
Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig - agree with the other comments that you need to pour the chlorine into the fill hose, then run water through it.

Rather than liquid bleach, we've used the "dry" swimming pool granules for years. Same drill, pour them into the end of the hose then hook up the hose and run water. But being dry, they take up a lot less space in your storage and (at least in my opinion) less likely to spill and less dangerous to you and your clothing if they fall on your pants/shoes etc. You can buy the granules anywhere in the "spa" or "swimming pool" section of a hardware store. A little goes a very long way. Just an option to consider
Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
I pull the filter from the housing, add the liquid bleach to that, then add the appropriate amount of water.
Don't forget to shut off/bypass the hot water tank and the ice maker if you have one before flushing the system.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneelock View Post
I pull the filter from the housing, add the liquid bleach to that, then add the appropriate amount of water.
Don't forget to shut off/bypass the hot water tank and the ice maker if you have one before flushing the system.
In the past I have used a pump attached to a drill to pump water/bleach from a bucket to get the mix into the tank, but like this idea better!
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
It's a good idea to replace the filter when doing tank maintenance so I'm already opening it up anyway.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
You can just add to your hose and connect it and fill the tank. Or if you have a whole house filter just remove filter and add there.
You want around 50 ppm chlorine to properly sanitize.
If you have 100 gallon tank it is about 1/2 cup of concentrated bleach (8.25%)
Or 1-1/2 cups if not concentrated (5.25%)
Fill tank run till you can smell at each faucet. Let sit for 6-12 hours.
Drain, fill with fresh flush out lines. Repeat till chlorine smell gone.
Did this for years most easiest cleaned the hose and plumbing system, also feed through the HWH so you do not get the egg smell during warm months. Her is a link with it all which ever way you wind up for winter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #13

We have used the following technique to clean our boat freshwater tanks for decades and now our RV tanks. This was written by Peggy Hall, an expert in all things marine sanitation. The recommendations for adding bleach to fresh water is 1/4 teaspoon or 8 drops of regular, unscented chlorine bleach per gallon. Let sit for at least an hour before using. Hope this helps...

Peggie Hall has the 8 ounce solution

Fresh water system problems–foul odor or taste–are typically caused by allowing water to stagnate in the tank and especially the lines, creating the ideal environment for molds, fungi and bacteria that thrive in damp dark places. Here’s the recommended method for recommissioning fresh water systems; this should be done at least annually:

Fill the water tank with a solution of 1 cup (8 oz) of household bleach per 10 gallon tank capacity. Turn on every faucet on the boat (including a deck wash if you have one), and allow the water to run until what’s coming out smells strongly of bleach. Turn off the faucets, but leave the system pressurized so the solution remains in the lines.

Let stand overnight– at least 8 hours–but NO LONGER THAN 24 hours. Drain through every faucet on the boat (and if you haven’t done this in a while, it’s a good idea to remove any diffusion screens from the faucets, ‘cuz what’s likely to come out will clog them). Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat, repeating till the water runs clean and smells and tastes clean.

Cleaning out the tank addresses only the least of the problem…most of the problem occurs in the lines, so it’s very important to leave the system pressurized while the bleach solution is in the tank to keep the solution in the lines too.

People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, the effect of an annual or semi-annual “shock treatment” is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. Nevertheless, it’s a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach in a few gallons of water before putting it into either a stainless or aluminum tank.

Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you get ready to fill the tank, dump about 1/2 cup of bleach into the hose, connect the hose to the MH and fill up the tank.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water