Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #15

Grand Design Owners Club
How to ADD Hydraulic Fluid

I use a small hand pump I got at harbor freight for under 9 bucks. I only use it for transmission fluid so it was equally handy for the transmission or filling the jack reservoirClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	299811
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
GKU

After checking the fluid level in the tank properly. (Jacks Up -- Slide Out). I added 2 quarts of ATF.

The coach is garaged at our house in an attached garage with concrete floors, I found no leak.

This was another great learning experience with spot on help from members of this forum....Thanks!!!
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #17

...all is well that ends well...am still of the "opinion" that only uni-directional rams [eg jacks] have an impact on fluid levels.....hard to see how bi-directional slide cylinders being open or closed, would have an impact.....just an old farm kid's opinion....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #18
GKU

Old Scout your "Opinion" might be correct. As I went through ALL options of Jacks up/down slide in/out the only one that made a difference as to the fluid level in the tank were the Jacks!!

The Jacks MUST be up when checking fluid level in the tank.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...all is well that ends well...am still of the "opinion" that only uni-directional rams [eg jacks] have an impact on fluid levels.....hard to see how bi-directional slide cylinders being open or closed, would have an impact.....just an old farm kid's opinion....
A retracted, double acting cylinder will hold less oil, because the piston rod is in the same side, displacing the oil.

A double acting cylinder will have more power pushing, then pulling, for the same reason.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #20

TB--excellent point...never considered the displacement volume of the slide ram rods in the equation...guess you are also saying the dia. of the rod also has to be subtracted from the lbs/sq inch pressure equation for retracting too... extended/retracted rod position for a typical slide mechanism is pretty obvious, may be not so obvious for a scissor mechanism?
Sorry, not very technical here but what happens on the retract side of a leveling jack ram? Realize the springs retract the piston and fluid is pushed/returns to the reservoir, and piston/ram dia. is very close to the cylinder inside dia, but it seems like there would be a vacuum or displacement issue between the ram o-ring seal and lower scraper seal?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
TB--excellent point...never considered the displacement volume of the slide ram rods in the equation...guess you are also saying the dia. of the rod also has to be subtracted from the lbs/sq inch pressure equation for retracting too... extended/retracted rod position for a typical slide mechanism is pretty obvious, may be not so obvious for a scissor mechanism?
Sorry, not very technical here but what happens on the retract side of a leveling jack ram? Realize the springs retract the piston and fluid is pushed/returns to the reservoir, and piston/ram dia. is very close to the cylinder inside dia, but it seems like there would be a vacuum or displacement issue between the ram o-ring seal and lower scraper seal?
Single action cylinders don't have seals on the moving piston, only a guide bushing.

The oil seal in just inside the wiper. The oil fills against that seal and pushes the piston out of the cylinder.

If a double acting cylinder is used in a single acting position, the other port has a filterd vent in it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
After checking the fluid level in the tank properly. (Jacks Up -- Slide Out). I added 2 quarts of ATF.

The coach is garaged at our house in an attached garage with concrete floors, I found no leak.

This was another great learning experience with spot on help from members of this forum....Thanks!!!
I remember when we took delivery there were several low fluid levels - hydraulic and coolant I remember for sure. You would think Newmar would include this in a quality check! We now have 19,000 on our 2019 and I’ve not added any addition fluids.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, hydraulic