RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to adjust Slide Stop Rod

I put the LR slide out today and about 1/3 the way I heard the loudest crunch. I managed to push the slide stop switch immediately but too late the slide came to rest at an angle. Upon inspection the left side slide lock arm (which I had released) bound up and caused the problem. I witnessed first hand just how strong the Newmar slide motor and gears are as the lock arm bent (bowed) and they look to be made from 1/4" thick steel.

To make a log story short, I removed and straightened the lock arm and loosened the torque bushings and managed to even up the slide.
I ran it in and when it was fully closed the slide motor continued to run which I shut down immediately. I ran out the slide and same thing....the motor continued to run when fully extended.

My guess is that the stop rod needs to be adjusted but I cant figure out how to do it. I can see it and the nuts on the rod but don't see the switch and I have no idea how to adjust it. I'm also wondering if the slide controller which is located in a cabinet under the kitchen sink needs adjusting.

I looked at all the Newmar tips here at IRV2, read several previous posts but still not sure what to do next. I'm hoping I can get some advise here.

I will be attending the Newmar Int'l rally in couple weeks in Escanaba and if I find this is above my pay grade I can have it serviced there but would like to save the $ and do it myslef.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you run slide out does the slide stop or still at angle?
This is the slide stop nut rested against the stop plate inside the compartment.

This is how the stop rod looks with it attached to outside slide wall metal bracket.

Check the two plates the one where the rod travels through and the one attached to the square D with the holes for cog wheel that the plates have not broken there welds to metal that they are attached to. Your looking out under the slide opened.
What you may have heard was the cog wheel jumping the holes in slide rail and you need to loosen the nuts on shaft to get everything back in line with slide closed.
The slide when brought in should stop when the outside slide wall hits the recessed main wall of coach and it should stop, the control will sense the higher current draw and cut off power to motor.
Here is the old slide spec which you would have.

Here is the new slide spec which will have better pictures of the stop rod info and explaination of operation starting at page 26 read that information about the hardware of slide and its operation to understand how your slide works.
If nothing is broken and no adjustments have been made to the control pot the slide should close normally until you can have someone look at it unless you can see what has happened under the slide.
If you released the drive shaft nuts with help you can push in slide with out the motor, I would use motor to get slide up the ramp first than use the help to push in slide. Trans torque bushings
Here is a old thread on same subject.
Make sure you have all fingers clear when operating the motor it can crush body parts.
Slide info can be found in QT's 1 & 2.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks 007 for the reply and helpful tips. I now understand how the rod stop works. I checked the bracket and the welds are good. Also opened and closed the slide checking the nuts and they were tight against the bracket.

As stated the slide motor continues to run when the slide is fully closed or open and makes loud clunk noises like the cogs skip a hole. I also adjusted the pot on the controller but it did not fix the problem. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Everything was working perfectly until the lock arm hung up.

Fortunately I can open and close the slide, I just have to push the switch at the right moment to turn the motor off.

I will be at the Newmar Int'l rally in a couple weeks and hopefully can get a Newmar tech to look at it.

Thanks Again for your support.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you over adjusted the pot motor will keep running may need to back off some should only adjust in very small increments.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good point. I read that in some of the info you sent to me previously. I moved it maybe a 1/16" both CW and CCW when I adjusted it. At one point the voltage was so low it would not move the slide so I had to adjust it back and when I did so the slide came in but again the motor would not stop.
Do you think my 1/16" adjustments were to much? I'm kinda nervous because we are scheduled to leave this coming Tuesday and I'm afraid that if I zig when I should have zagged I may not get the slide in. Do you think I would be better off leaving it as is and have the Newmar techs look at it?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as it will get up the ramp and you than stop when it hits the main wall you should be OK.
The adjustment may have over heated something in control board and may need replacement.
Let the Tech's figure that out.
Control units.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Slide adjustment

Are these adjustments same on an 03 Mountainair 40 DP ? Have the same problem, rear of Living room slide stops about 1 - 1 1/2 in from being flush with wall when fully extended. Same scenario lock arm was not release when room extended bent lock arm but I was able to remove it and straighten it.

Thanks for any reply
BudL
BudL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It can be if you heard maybe the cog wheel pop you may have to release the drive bar bushings and with help get your slide flush into the wall recess.
Yes to your question.

Tags
slide