Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to best protect carpet in driver area and kitchen slide?

Baystar motorhome still have carpet on the floor in the drivers area and slides. What is the best way to protect the carpet from wear and dirt in these areas. The driver floor and kitchen seem to be the most problematic.
macnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #2

Same issue in our 2022 Super Star.

We purchased some runners (about six feet long, maybe 18 inches wide) and put those down over the carpet in vulnerable areas. I'll shoot some photos and post them.

In the driver/passenger area, our coach came with a custom mat made out of the same carpet that's in the rest of the coach. I purchased a second one from the Newmar Parts Department, which we'll keep in storage until we sell the coach at whatever point in the future. You might call and see if they offer something similar for your coach.
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45B
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, good ideas!
Old 06-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In a prior coach with carpet, we bought runners for use when it was rainy and muddy. Otherwise, I shampooed the carpets once or twice a year and that kept them nice for the ten years we owned it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We employed a little different strategy. Our best efforts at keeping the high use area rugs clean just didn't seem to work as well as we wanted and started searching for replacements of the various OEM rugs.

What has worked well for us has been to do a Google search for "rug binding near me" to find carpet companies who could cut a remnant piece of carpet that was of a sufficient quality and fit our decor. We found most of the rug binding places had a wide variety of available remnants; many different colors, textures and qualities making it not too difficult to find something suitable. It seemed like the process of setting a price for the carpet and binding was more of a negotiation than X yards at $Y price.

We took the entry/cockpit area rug to one of the rug binding places which was happy to cut our chosen remnant to match the size/shape of the OEM rug and then bind the edge. It's been a couple of years since we last did that. IIRC, we replaced the entry/cockpit rug and three other (rectangular) rugs for ~$300.

One caution, it's difficult to find carpet that's rubber backed, making the rugs likely to slip on the tile floor. The solution for that is to run numerous thick beads of silicone caulk on the back side of the rugs. Before the silicone cures, spread it into ~2" wide bands using a putty knife. Let it cure and it's been adequate to keep the rugs from slipping on the tile floors.

That's what's been working well for us.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-05-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Baystar motorhome still have carpet on the floor in the drivers area and slides. What is the best way to protect the carpet from wear and dirt in these areas. The driver floor and kitchen seem to be the most problematic.
NO SHOE'S............ sock's on feet.........only way to prolong carpet life......
Old 06-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
777 Driver, interesting idea! I’ll check into that! I saw a YouTube video where Andrew Steele replaced his carpet with a bamboo type mat. Expensive but very good looking and durable.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
NO SHOE'S............ sock's on feet.........only way to prolong carpet life......

I would agree, except I wouldn’t drive in socks. I know a fireman that strongly advised against it, as he’s rescued people from many wrecks. Also, for the slid out carpets, I was more concerned about things from the kitchen counter spilling on it. Carpet in the kitchen seems like a bad idea. I wish Newmar could figure out a way to remove the carpet on the slides they use in the Baystar.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #9

Lowes has a rubber mat, I think 4' x 4'. Fairly inexpensive.

When I changed my floor from carpet to vinyl plank, I ran it under where the rubber mat would be. I secured it to the floor near the pedals and under the dash and just let the rest lay on top of the vinyl.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduemig View Post
Lowes has a rubber mat, I think 4' x 4'. Fairly inexpensive.

When I changed my floor from carpet to vinyl plank, I ran it under where the rubber mat would be. I secured it to the floor near the pedals and under the dash and just let the rest lay on top of the vinyl.
Edit. "When I changed my floor from carpet to vinyl plank, I ran the planks about 2" under where the rubber mat would be. I secured the rubber mat to the floor . . ."
Old 06-06-2022, 06:33 AM   #11

So i have an older DS. The previous owner actually used a thin sheet of clear plexiglass (maybe 1/4"). They made a perfect fit piece for the driver area then put a simple mat on top.

The wife wasn't too keen on it so we have since lifted it out. But, the carpet underneath is still perfect.

As for the other part of the problem... they had a clear runner going down the middle of the coach (also came out). We are going to be re-carpeting anyway.

Just some thoughts on other options....
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Personally I would drive barefoot before with socks. I don't want something that could slide off the brake easily. And before anyone post it, the statement that it's illegal to drive barefoot is a myth. In fact, in all 50 states, there are no barefoot driving laws that prohibit this particular practice.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #13

We cut a remnant (cheap - less than $20) to fit the entry and even added a throw rug at the door entry. When the remnant got too dirty to clean we got a new one. We didn't have it bound. Having that extra washable throw rug at the entry saved a lot of dirt elsewhere, especially when raining. We also had carpet in the living room so added a runner there. It was simple to roll up when traveling. After 8 yr. our original carpet was immaculate and we had never had to clean it. I will say that we took our outdoor shoes off at the door. When one of us was driving we put on our indoor slip-on shoes. Even in a home we had indoor and outdoor shoes. It sounds like a lot but it seemed like no effort doing these things once you're used to it. Newer motorhomes with tile are great!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Really appreciate everyone’s comments!

Tags
carpet, driver, slide