Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How to change PCM in 2012 Newmar 2901

I need to have the PCM changed in my 2012 Newmar 2901 on a Ford chassie. The firewall seems to be built AROUND the PCM. How do we gain access to the mounting bolts? I would think there is a safty issue in cutting the firewall.
GIZZMO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
My mind is drawing a blank, the PCM, what else may it be called the ECM or TCM are you getting it upgraded, Brazels maybe able to help you can get a link in this thread.

FORD CHASSIS ----Looking at the front of this chassis you may have to come down from the dog house opening.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a 2012 wouldn't the chassis still be covered by the Ford warranty?
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Can't decide if it's Ford or Newmar. The firewall was installed by Newmar--The PCM is supported by a structural member installed by Ford.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1672764]Welcome to the forum and irv2.
My mind is drawing a blank, the PCM, what else may it be called the ECM or TCM are you getting it upgraded, Brazels maybe able to help you can get a link in [URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/brazels-ultrapower-tune-is-awesome-156323.html
this thread[/URL].

FORD CHASSIS ----Looking at the front of this chassis you may have to come down from the dog house opening.
PCM---Preformance Control Modulater??? It's the computer that controls EVERTHING!!! Ford recommends trying to "unbolt" and "slide" the firewall that was installed by Newmar. The ford dealer will try tommorrow. Might have to cut and rebuild the firewall. Hope this is not an issue later!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ECM & TCM on a Workhorse can be removed from a cut out through the fire wall they are stacked over one another.
Looks like air filter maybe blocking your entrance through firewall, try removing the air cleaner.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know if this will help, but found following pic of PCM location on F53:

Click image for larger version

Name:	zz2a27dd54-2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	43653
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should be easy to find, thanks Dave.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Here it is 9-23-2013 and still have not been able to use our motorhome because of the PCM or PCE what ever. Ford from Dearborne is sending another PMC, preprogramed, with the understanding to NOT check or verify any settings untill Oct. 2 , 2013. This is a MAJOR problem with this chassic. They though that we where making this up. Now Ford is saying that there is 5 to 7 more chassis with the same problem. Just NO answer. We have not been able to use the motorhome from 6-6-2013. Just hoping this will fix it. We missed 2 trips that we had to pay for in advance. I am getting VERY frustrated.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

I think Ford should reimburse you for those trips. If they know it's their problem then they owe.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to agree with John seems like they are using your chassis for trouble shooting their, Ford, problem.
Going to place this thread in Ford Chassis Forum since you mentioned other chassis's are involved with this same problems.

GIZZMO51 is this a problem with just operation with engine control or also the transmission shifting also?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the problem you are having with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)?
What is the RV doing?
Engine will not start?
Transmission will not shift?
No Power?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZMO51 View Post
Here it is 9-23-2013 and still have not been able to use our motorhome because of the PCM or PCE what ever. Ford from Dearborne is sending another PMC, preprogramed, with the understanding to NOT check or verify any settings untill Oct. 2 , 2013. This is a MAJOR problem with this chassic. They though that we where making this up. Now Ford is saying that there is 5 to 7 more chassis with the same problem. Just NO answer. We have not been able to use the motorhome from 6-6-2013. Just hoping this will fix it. We missed 2 trips that we had to pay for in advance. I am getting VERY frustrated.
What is wrong with the PCM. I ask because most of the newer PCMs are all the same just with different base programming. Also 99% of the time techs say PCM because they are lost and the PCM does not actually fix the concern. We have a PCM guru here that never fix's a vehicle with PCM replacements but he still does. I guess it just buys him more time to make money on something else. The last actual PCM issue I had was several years ago.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I am curious on the drivability concerns you are having. What are the symptoms? PCM's are rarely the cause of an issue, but there are still some that fail. The PCM's are all pretty much the same, have to be flashed with the proper information acquired using the vehicles VIN. The later model vehicles I have seen alternators do weird things to PCM's also.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar