Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
G'Morning NEWMAR Gang:
Does anyone have instructions, suggestions and/or precautions to follow when pulling out full sized Maytag front loading washing machine from cabinet in our 08 Essex? This unit sits in a cabinet behind double (approx. 5 ft. ea.) louvered doors which I'll remove along with hardware and latch clips. Also plan to remove toilet compartment angled door & hinges located directly acoss from laundry cabinet to facilitate extraction of washer. Beyond that I don't know what I'm getting into behind the washer. Ofcouse I'll turn the water off and unplug the machine, but, for example, I don't know where the drain hose exits the washer and where it runs to after passing through a partion wall next to and forward of the washer. Refrigerator is on the other side of this wall. Does drain run directly to gray tank or to some other sink drain first...can't see it in basement beneath. Also, I plan to pad well the tile floor outside of this cabinet to avoid cracking tile. Washer sits in cabinet in a plastic/vinyl square tray with a minimal lip and so, do I leave the tray in the cabinet and try to lift washer out of this tray or use the tray to slide machine out or does this tray have a drain connection to worry about?? BOY!...sure wish Newmar provided better directions for us dummies!! Any ideas for lifting, sliding, tipping, etc. this heavy machine out of this pretty tight space? Thanks ahead of time for ANY tips you might be able to offer. THANK YOU. Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
G'Morning NEWMAR Gang:
Does anyone have instructions, suggestions and/or precautions to follow when pulling out full sized Maytag front loading washing machine from cabinet in our 08 Essex? This unit sits in a cabinet behind double (approx. 5 ft. ea.) louvered doors which I'll remove along with hardware and latch clips. Also plan to remove toilet compartment angled door & hinges located directly acoss from laundry cabinet to facilitate extraction of washer. Beyond that I don't know what I'm getting into behind the washer. Ofcouse I'll turn the water off and unplug the machine, but, for example, I don't know where the drain hose exits the washer and where it runs to after passing through a partion wall next to and forward of the washer. Refrigerator is on the other side of this wall. Does drain run directly to gray tank or to some other sink drain first...can't see it in basement beneath. Also, I plan to pad well the tile floor outside of this cabinet to avoid cracking tile. Washer sits in cabinet in a plastic/vinyl square tray with a minimal lip and so, do I leave the tray in the cabinet and try to lift washer out of this tray or use the tray to slide machine out or does this tray have a drain connection to worry about?? BOY!...sure wish Newmar provided better directions for us dummies!! Any ideas for lifting, sliding, tipping, etc. this heavy machine out of this pretty tight space? Thanks ahead of time for ANY tips you might be able to offer. THANK YOU. Steve & Lynette
Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have never removed your Brand of washer. I have removed (twice) our Splendide combo W/D. For me, the following is true:
1. The tray has no drain. It is to hold minor water leaks/disasters.
2. The unit may be fastened to the tray/floor. This is only via the front feet.
3. The unit may need to be tipped top to the rear and slid forward to get the rear feet out of the grooves they are in to hold the unit in place during it's spin cycle.
4. Once free of the hold down groves/bolts the unit can be lifted out. If you tip the washer, water may pour out of the unit. For me this was about a gallon.
5. I have removed my unit by myself, but only after some creative leverage with two appropriately cut boards. My recommendation is get a friend to help.
5. My unit drains into the grey water plumbing and into the grey water tank.
6. There may be a "trap" door to allow you to get to the drain hose.
7. I remove the tray after the washer is out. This is only for cleaning.

This is a very challenging DYI job. I've seen the dealer do it and they always use two techs. Good luck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone have instructions, suggestions and/or precautions to follow when pulling out full sized Maytag front loading washing machine from cabinet in our 08 Essex? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! If you don't mind me asking, why are you doing this?? Paul
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi: Well, had local authorized Maytag Svc. tech. here this a.m. and we simply lifted (to loosen) front of this washer to release it's front from a little adhesion with that drip tray. Then we tipped the machine forward to again release rear bottom edge from similar adhesion to tray. We could then slide the machine forward (leaving drip tray in position) as if to pull from cabinet, BUT, we didn't have to take it all the way out. Once we had enough clearence (ie., machine about 1/2 way out of cabinet, with all connections still attached), we tipped the top of the machine back into the cabinet on it's rear edge so tech could access a panel on the bottom surface of this machine by laying on floor and observing bottom of machine. Within this panel is located the drain pump which wasn't pumping out the water. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Jetsmania, this was the problem.</span> Tech said that when pump failed to evacuate water in the "spin" cycle, the machine sensed too much water and imbalance due to water, so machine shut down!! Anyway, after simply removing pump from bottom surface panel, removing in and out flow hoses being careful to catch a little water, and opening pump housing,..... there was the problem....a quarter lodged vertically in the inflow port AND, the main issue was a toothpick which was jammed in along side of impeller. We cleared debris, put pump back in, started machine....no growling heard...so replaced all, slid machine back into position, and ran cycle with water on. IT ALL WORKED WELL. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Gary, thanks for the help.</span>. It all sounds simple, HOWEVER, for those of us who don't really know how these rigs are designed and put together, it sure would be nice to be able to get detailed, over the phone, assistance from "the shop" (Nappanee) when we have to get into parts and systems we don't know about for sure. Many of us wouldn't mind working on our own rigs but, at least in my case, I scared to death I'm going to foul something else up while getting to root of the immediate problem. (Oh, I did call Newmar, but no one there really knew the rig details and were kinda VERY vague and general. Really no help at all. Oh well, ENOUGH. I'll have clean underwear for awhile anyway!!! Steve & Lynette
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there was the problem....a quarter lodged vertically in the inflow port </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the important issue here is Who kept the Quarter?

Sorry... couldn't resist.

I'm glad to see it ended on a good note for you and a bit saddened that Newmar wasn't more helpful.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #7

I am a little perplexed by the Maytag engineers. You mean the drum/drain/pump is designed such that an intact toothpick AND a quarter can all make it all the way from the drum into the internal plumbing and lodge in the pump inlet? Talk about poor design! Yikees! Maybe a bored Maytag assembly line worker dropped those in there at the plant so the bored Maytag repairman would have something to do!

BTW - Who did keep the quarter?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We are having a problem with our Maytag washer. It seems all the water is not getting pumped out and creates a mildew smell. This started about four months ago. There is no visible water left in the machine after washing. I have pulled the washer to make sure there is no leaks. It seems contained in the washing machine. When we were at Newmar they looked at it and could find anything wrong and had not seen this problem before. They thought water was getting trapped in the door gasket, but that was not the problem. I think I will go back and check the pump and line for any restrictions. Thanks for the information.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems all the water is not getting pumped out and creates a mildew smell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a problem with many frontloaders, as the door forms a tight seal as opposed to top loaders and mildew forms.

The manufacturers recommend 2 things, leave the door open, and/or run the machine through a cycle with some Clorox added.

Not great options, IMHO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi: Hey, ET & RVdude: We were so happy the machine could get fixed that we offered the quarter to the repair tech as a finder's fee (in addn. to $63.00 svc. fee), BUT, he left it with us to add to our park laundry quarter cash in the event we're unable to use our on-board washer....nice guy!! With regard to the "mildew smell", we have learned and believe that we MUST leave the front loading door ajar (using small towel draped over the door edge) when we're done using the machine. As long as we are parked, we keep the door ajar, but, if we get underway we then close this door until again parked somewhere. This practice has (so far) prevented that mildew odor and it's something we learned when we used to live in our house which had a front loading washer as well. Keeping that door ajar really seems to preclude mildew issue. Again, just to emphasize for the record, we sure wish the shop in Nappanee had a better system for us Newmar owners to access folks on the assembly line who really KNEW how are specific rigs and features were installed and who could give us good advice when we have to dig into components we're unsure about. Also, it sure would be a GREAT marketing feature for Newmar particularly in these tough market times where company survival is a concern. Oh well, at least we've got you guys to offer help. Thanks again. Steve & Lynette
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #11

Hi! Glad you were able to get it fixed! I never realized the mildew issue with a front loader. Good info. Not just an RV problem. Paul
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
RV Dude: Yup, this Maytag model anyway (MAH24) did permit the quarter all the way into the inflow port of the pump, and the "intact" toothpick past that quarter into the impeller section of the pump. Not a good design. The front loading washer we had in our home (made in Sweden..can't recall brand) at least had an easily accessible debris trap to catch such items.

Ironman: (Re: draining ALL water from machine to prevent mildew) Just thought you might find it interesting that the Maytag svc. tech said (while here working on our machine) that they often get brand new machines delivered from Maytag to there store for sale that still have small amounts water inside from the factory!

Steve & Lynette