Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

How to get to the Oasis Distribution module?

Hi,

Some of you have accessed the Oasis distribution model to check or replace pumps.

What is your method to access the front of the panel? I’m 210 on a good day and >65 if that helps to paint the picture.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

The access to the distribution module on my LADP can be done fairly easily. I slide the full (side-to-side) slide all the way out to passenger side. You can also slide it all the way out on the driver's side. Then slide the half slide all the way out on the passenger side. Crawl into the full slide bay and then into the half bay and remove the panel at the end of the half slide. We are close to the same size/age so it can be done. Just take tools in with you or have somebody standing outside to hand you what you forgot to take in with you. If your full slide is powered, watch out for the micro switches and wiring or you will have another job to keep you busy.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On both of my 4018 model coaches, the Oasis was in the 3/4 bay that only has access on the passenger side (opposite the Oasis unit). Again, mine has a false wall (carpet over plywood) that has to be first removed at the back of the bay.

I'm 6'2" and tipping 300 pounds. I've accessed the Oasis distribution module a couple of times. First lesson, if you don't have a helper, take your phone with you when you crawl in the bay, just in case you get stuck.

I found I could crawl in there with a fair amount of room. Remove the false wall, set it to one side and then take the access panel off. Try to take a small work bag with everything imaginable that you might need, so there is only one trip in and out. Another tip, as I've gotten older, it's hard to hold my head up, either while on my side or on back, when working in a tight space....just hard on the neck, so I bring a piece of square foam, 6" x 6" x 6" to rest my head on while I'm working.

Amazon sells what looks like a pair of vice grips with a long snout (no teeth) that is used for pinching hoses closed while working on hoses that contain liquid. I now carry a pair with an extra pump.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have personal experience in removing and replacing the Oasis pumps in our 2017 DS 4369. It is not easy. Here are some tips:

1. If you have sliding drawers in your compartment, removing the drawer completely gives you much needed additional space to operate.
2. After you remove the "wall" to access the distribution module, leave it off for a time so you can re-check your work for leaks easier.
3. As Don mentions, small needle nose locking pliers are essential. Use electrical tape on the jaws so the jaws don't cut into the heater hose.
4. Locking pliers are also very helpful to move the hose clamps if you need to replace a pump.
5. A small LED lantern is very helpful.
5. Have patience and take your time.
6. The job does go a bit quicker the second time you do it, plus you will have a better idea as to what additional tools and/or parts you might need.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
HOW

I would reiterate the advice of going in from the drivers side. Slide the trays out to the passenger side and take some padding to place over the rails and it really isn’t that bad to access the panel.
HOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #6

Thanks to all.

The only thought is how does the slide outs come out? Some Locking tab to remove?

I can hardly wait to dive into the basement...that means it is warmer outside!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
HOW

I did not remove my trays, just sliding them out fully to the passenger side provided me enough room. Hardest part is crawling in under the full wall slide.
One other tip is I purchased a set of heater hose clamps (Auto Zone??) instead of using vise grips with rags as DS Don suggested, they were inexpensive, had wide plastic jaws which did not damage the hoses.
HOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOW View Post
I did not remove my trays, just sliding them out fully to the passenger side provided me enough room. Hardest part is crawling in under the full wall slide.
One other tip is I purchased a set of heater hose clamps (Auto Zone??) instead of using vise grips with rags as DS Don suggested, they were inexpensive, had wide plastic jaws which did not damage the hoses.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post

The only thought is how does the slide outs come out? Some Locking tab to remove?
I've accessed the Oasis distribution module a couple of times to fix a leak, to replace a summer loop pump and to add an engine preheat pump. I've removed the slideout tray and the tray support base each time. I tried the other ways to access the distribution module, but don't bend and twist as well as I once did.

Removing the half slideout tray is not difficult. There is a tab stop on each side of the tray secured by a bolt that has to be removed to take out the tray. Then the tray support base is held in place by 4 lag bolts. With the tray and base removed it is a straight shot to the Oasis module.

I do agree with DSD that head support is a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181029_163055.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	285169  
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I've accessed the Oasis distribution module a couple of times to fix a leak, to replace a summer loop pump and to add an engine preheat pump. I've removed the slideout tray and the tray support base each time. I tried the other ways to access the distribution module, but don't bend and twist as well as I once did.

Removing the half slideout tray is not difficult. There is a tab stop on each side of the tray secured by a bolt that has to be removed to take out the tray. Then the tray support base is held in place by 4 lag bolts. With the tray and base removed it is a straight shot to the Oasis module.

I do agree with DSD that head support is a must.
Ok sounds like a few options depending on how my body reacts
Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2019, I deleted the tray in the pass thru bay and added the 3/4 one way tray in the Oasis bay. I haven't had to access the Oasis, but I always thought having the tray in there would reduce height, but might make it easier for a big guy to just slide in and out via the tray.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've tried it both ways. It is easier to slide in with the tray installed, but in my experience, that is the only advantage. The tray and the particle board bottom reduce the working height a lot. And, the tray moves every time you move once you are in position. Also the inside edge of the tray limits access to the bottom areas of the distribution module.

Removing the tray is a two person job. The particle board bottom is held by 4 phillips head screws. Once you remove the screws, the board has to be pushed up and over the inside tray edge in order to clear the front locking mechanism. This is best done from the bottom while holding the tray from moving. After the particle board bottom is removed, you will get access to the lag bolts on each side of the tray. These four bolts can be removed using a socket on the nuts from the bottom side of the stops. Once the stops are removed, the tray can be removed. Be careful...the tray is quite heavy and requires two people..one on each side to remove without damage or falling on your foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On my 2019, I deleted the tray in the pass thru bay and added the 3/4 one way tray in the Oasis bay. I haven't had to access the Oasis, but I always thought having the tray in there would reduce height, but might make it easier for a big guy to just slide in and out via the tray.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oh yeah, that was a fun one. 6ft, 240 lbs, and old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AA95889-7526-45EC-983D-8B53916A01C5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	285454  
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Oh yeah, that was a fun one. 6ft, 240 lbs, and old.
That is an odd place for a nap!

Tags
oasis

« 15 amp | Wash help »