Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #1

How to identify whether Newmar DP has heated floor?

Hi everyone, first post here. My wife and I have had Class C's but are looking to move to a Class A for the first time this year. Maybe a ~2014 DSDP or something along those lines. I've seen a lot of positive comments about having the heated floor tile but it seems to be somewhat rare in the RV listings I see. Or it's possible that some sellers (such as a dealer, not the actual owner) don't realize it or don't mention it. What should I look for in the physical motorhome to know if that option was selected or not? Also, any comments about whether this is something to hold out for and pay much more for? Is regular heating satisfactory? Thanks!
pjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjd123 View Post
Hi everyone, first post here. My wife and I have had Class C's but are looking to move to a Class A for the first time this year. Maybe a ~2014 DSDP or something along those lines. I've seen a lot of positive comments about having the heated floor tile but it seems to be somewhat rare in the RV listings I see. Or it's possible that some sellers (such as a dealer, not the actual owner) don't realize it or don't mention it. What should I look for in the physical motorhome to know if that option was selected or not? Also, any comments about whether this is something to hold out for and pay much more for? Is regular heating satisfactory? Thanks!
I don't believe heated floors were available in 2014, at least at the Dutch Star level. Newmar usually introduces options like that in its high-end luxury line (King Aire and Essex) first and then moves them down model-by-model, year-by-year.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I don't believe heated floors were available in 2014, at least at the Dutch Star level. Newmar usually introduces options like that in its high-end luxury line (King Aire and Essex) first and then moves them down model-by-model, year-by-year.

TJ
My observations track with TJs post above. We have heated floors in our 2015 Dutch Star 4369. That was the same year they also updated end caps and integrated awnings. I think there may have been a few other features trickle down from the Mountain Aire as well.

As far as confirming they are there or not, look for the original build/option sheet for the coach and the control panels for heated floors (one on LR wall, one in Bedroom and one in Master bath (at least on the 43/44 models).

And also to confirm, they ARE a very nice (and pricey) feature. Make sure they work in all zones on any used coach as they can be very expensive to repair a broken element or connection.

Are they necessary, worth holding out for or paying extra ? This is getting a little subjective and hard to say. We have the 3 - 15k ac/heat pumps and Oasis furnace heat in addition to heated tile floors. Newmar DPs are relatively well insulated and ours has more than ample heat for any temps we’ve experienced. I would probably say that heated floors are not needed to be warm, but until we downsize, we do Not want to give them up just yet. Even on 70 deg days, it’s nice to take the chill off the cold tiles in the mornings.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

We have Hydronic heating ( kinda ) in our 2014 Ventana. Oasis system ( Diesel / Electric ) provides endless hot water, plus small blower radiators spaced throughout the Coach. Can choose to operate electric or diesel for those extra cold mornings / boondocking. Have been very happy with Oasis setup - easy to service. They say diesel usage is about. 0.40 gal / hr
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #5

I have heated floors in my 2014 MADP. It was a $10K option back then. If you have the Silverleaf control screens, just look on there to see the Floor heat option. You can also look in the 1/2 bath breaker box & there will be a breaker for floor heat.

We love ours & I would never have another coach without heated floors!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the helpful replies! This confirms that it's something I'd like to have - I expect we'll be in all sorts of weather as we go full-time (probably) for a few years. But it's good to know we'll be okay without it if I can't find the right configuration.
I've thought about getting an older Essex or something like that at a similar price point but I'm not sure about the trade-offs of other advances that might have come to the DS in the intervening years.
pjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would definitely start your search at the 2015 model year Dutch Star. There were a lot of changes between the 2014 and 2015 model, especially the exterior facades long the roof line.

We live in California and almost passed on the heated floors when we built our coach, but our dealer talked us into it. So GLAD he did. The heated floors have kept our coach toasted warm down to 25 degrees, the coldest weather we've been in.

There are many ways to heat a Dutch Star, including the hydronic heating (Oasis furnace), heat pumps and even the fireplace for the main living area. But, two of those require that noisy fans run all the time. With the heated floors, (heat rises) there are no cold areas or chilly spots where a fan misses heating the area. The rooms are consistently heated from bottom to top, with no noise! Wouldn't own a coach without it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

If you can get the VIN call Newmar and ask them for the build sheet.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #9

If it's worth the extra money is suggestive. If you plan on "chasing 70" then absolutely not. We, on the other hand, love winter camping and can often camp in 20-30 degree weather so we wouldn't want RV without it. As someone else pointed out, if you find a used RV that has them, make sure they're fully functioning because repairs can be $$$$. A bit of a disclaimer is to be careful about putting rugs and such on floors when heat is on. I know someone who overheated the area of floor and melted the rugs backing.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
If it's worth the extra money is suggestive. If you plan on "chasing 70" then absolutely not. We, on the other hand, love winter camping and can often camp in 20-30 degree weather so we wouldn't want RV without it. As someone else pointed out, if you find a used RV that has them, make sure they're fully functioning because repairs can be $$$$. A bit of a disclaimer is to be careful about putting rugs and such on floors when heat is on. I know someone who overheated the area of floor and melted the rugs backing.
Rev. Roy- do you know personally about the rug back melting or did you hear that from someone or somewhere?? If you know about it personally- please provide me with the persons name & Ph # so I can call them! I think that is an 'Old Wives Tale' as my floors never get that hot to melt the backing on a rug or mat! We keep a rug on the floor in front of the refrigerator & have never had a problem.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Rev. Roy- do you know personally about the rug back melting or did you hear that from someone or somewhere?? If you know about it personally- please provide me with the persons name & Ph # so I can call them! I think that is an 'Old Wives Tale' as my floors never get that hot to melt the backing on a rug or mat! We keep a rug on the floor in front of the refrigerator & have never had a problem.

Happy Trails
Someone we meet sitting around a campfire told us and showed pictures of a rug. It was a cheap one with a foam backing. He said it may have been the cheap foam backing that was the problem. I can't say for certain it happened the way he claimed. I have left pants beside the bed and they were "toasty" when I put them on not Hot.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #12

We have electric heated floors in our 2013 MADP and love them. Keep in mind, however, that this heat is NOT instant....it takes a little while for cold tile to heat up. But once it does, it's wonderful! A very nice, even, dry heat. I have rarely run ours on more than low heat. Tried high heat once and about cooked us out! Our floors got pretty hot on high. I like having numerous heating options based on what might be needed or desired. We have heat pumps on all three AC's, the Oasis System on diesel or electric, and the heated floors.

As far as identification, our wall control panels show floor heat as an option. It's three zone, and unlike the three AC/HP's that can all be run from the very front control panel, the zoned heat has to be turned on from a panel in each zone (at least it's that way on mine). Net, you should see FLOOR HEAT on the wall control panels.

I looked at the Newmar Product Archives. 2014 Dutch Star does NOT list the heated floors as an option....the 2015 Dutch Star brochure does, so apparently that was the first year it was offered on the DS. The list of Heating and Cooling options in 2015 was substantial compared to the 2014 model.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, newmar