RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't ask why, but I need to remove a basement door on a 2002 Mtn aire for repair. A quick call to Newmar engineering said to unhook the lift cylinder and open the door approx 60 degrees and then tap up (yes-up,I asked twice to be sure)on the bottom edge of the door with a rubber mallet to unlock the S shaped hinge.

From what I'm seeing tapping up is working against the hinge. You need to tap down. Either way, ain't much happening.

Has anyone had any luck doing this and having the door pop out as Newmar says will happen ??
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

My DW left a door under the slide open in the fully-open position---unbenonst to me. When I opened the slide the door poped off slicker than a whistle. No damage, no problem, except it was a pickle to put back on.

Duck taped it back on until I got home and then slide it into place along the track.

Oops. Sorry. Thant doesn't help you. I was just reliving a horror story.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
A second call to Newmar provided a page from one of their serive manuals with step by step instructions. A secomd attempt on my part worked great. I will try to upload the information to the file section herein.
Newmar servie rep also told me I could buy a new door direct from Newmar parts department. I have not called yet to get a price but will next week. The skin is held on to the frame with a caulking type adhesive which can be cut and peeled off. I think I'm going to see if I can have a auto- body shop straighten mine and repaint. Worst case, I'll buy a new one
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #4

If you get this information, please post it.

This would be good information to have in our files---For most of us, it will happen sooner or later.. Of course it is BOUND to be some one ELSE's fault.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bdaball,

Come on Bill-- Tell us what happened

Slide moved out with bay door up all the way??
Old 01-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #6

I recently had my door repaired. I bought the metal curved piece from a Newmar Dealer and took it along with damaged door to a fiberglass repair shop. He cut and painted the curved piece, repaired the cracked fiberglass. The paint job is a perfect match and I was only out $400 total. A lot cheaper than buying a new door. That alone will cost $598 plus you still need to get it painted.
Mountain Aire III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
ET

Good luck with the fix. I'm gonna be more careful myself now knowing the price of one of them! WOW
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Come-on Max, You think I would do that? Of course not.
But it was a little tuff trying to close the slide with the door all the way up
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The removal procedures from Newmar have been posted in the file section. File is titled "stordoor.pdf". I have not contacted Newmar for the price of a new door but will post it as soon as I do.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
bdaball, I'm still learning where is the file section. May want to post in Quick Tips for future reference
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Per the response from Jeanne Stump, Newmar Parts department:
Aluminum door skin only part #51006 19-3/8 x 32-1/8 is $57.95 ea. Complete door #05024 is $263.33. Newmar pays UPS ground charges on orders that are $25.00. Sales tax 7%. Lead time is based on production schedule. They worked two days last week (!) All prices are unpainted.

I guess that answers a couple of questions. One, yes you can order parts directly. And two, they are not over $500 as someone mentioned earlier, at least not this size. Jeanne did mention if you call to get a price on one be sure to have your coach number and door size. That makes life easier for her.

As for mine, I'm still putzin around trying to straighten the old one. I have friend who has a machine shop with a roller..
The adhesive is Sika-flex #221. Surface cleaner is Sika-flex #226. try Austin Hdw& Supplies on line, $40 bucks for both
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the info. Have a friend I think he is on his third door just can't make them tight turns.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
you might want to check them before you close your slide as well!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #14

I had received a quote from Camping World on the new door, $500. Nice to see how much they marked it up. About 100%.
Mountain Aire III is offline   Reply With Quote