Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question How to remove Jack Knife sofa?

Anyone that has removed the jack knife sofa or witnessed how it's done....I'm curious what it takes to get it out of the coach. I know it's held down by four bolts, my question is what is required to get it out. Do you have to disassemble it in any way to make it easier to get out or does it go out the door as is with one person on each end?

I'm considering replacing it with an updesk to make a better office space. The jack knife sofa is nice for socializing but that is a rare item compared to the amount of time I'm working in my mobile roaming office. It was also mainly for the dog during travel, until another dog comes along I'd like to consider a desk option. If/when another dog comes along the JK sofa will likely be reinstalled, we'll see.

So again, how do you get this sofa out and how hard is it to do?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed one to replace in my 2013.

The 4 bolts allow you access to the remaining screws.you will have 2 sides , 1 front, 1 back, and the top seating area when fully disassembled
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I had to take the arms off the sofa and take the co-pilot seat out.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sawzall if nothing else!
In the '02 DSDP I unbolted it and found the screws holding it together. Came out in pieces then.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

Neal,

I have a smaller coach than you, but I like our layout -- which includes an "office" space. Our coach has a shorter couch than yours probably is -- and then Newmar's really useful combination desk/computer station/dining table.

In 2008, Newmar offered four versions of this "Combo desk/dinette" for different floorplans. At that time Newmar's option numbers for them were K125_1, K125_2, K125_5, and K125_6.

The left side of ours has a cupboard with roll-out keyboard tray (and the keyboard can stay on the tray when rolled in), and then a large cabinet under that with another roll-out tray where you can put a tower computer or printer/scanner. There's space behind the drawers and cupboards for permanently attached cables. There's also a duplex AC outlet inside the compartment. And there's a pop-out cable dressing hole in the countertop for power and video cables for monitors and speakers, etc.

With the dining table deployed -- you have plenty of flat space on your right while sitting in front of the keyboard tray. Or, you can fold the table away and have a traditional desk with drawers (including the keyboard tray and CPU/Printer compartment) on both sides. It's quite a flexible system.

Once I saw this piece of optional furniture and saw how it worked, it became a deal-breaker for me. It's where I usually am. My wife gets the couch -- which is her favorite place.

Newmar's desk/computer station/dining table option is pretty long, so in our 37 ft. coach, they had to put in a shorter couch to make room for it. Even though your coach is longer, I'm guessing you'd still need a shorter couch too if you were able to find and buy this desk/table and install it.

I believe this desk/table option is still offered by Newmar, so maybe you could order one from them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

I just did this on my Alpine which only has a 26" front door.

Unbolted the couch, removed the end arm rests (3 bolts each side), removed the back (4 bolts), removed legs (4 bolts), and carried it out the door by myself. Took pictures befor removing each part so reassembly would go smoothly. No need to remove front seat.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Anyone that has removed the jack knife sofa or witnessed how it's done....I'm curious what it takes to get it out of the coach. I know it's held down by four bolts, my question is what is required to get it out. Do you have to disassemble it in any way to make it easier to get out or does it go out the door as is with one person on each end?

I'm considering replacing it with an updesk to make a better office space. The jack knife sofa is nice for socializing but that is a rare item compared to the amount of time I'm working in my mobile roaming office. It was also mainly for the dog during travel, until another dog comes along I'd like to consider a desk option. If/when another dog comes along the JK sofa will likely be reinstalled, we'll see.

So again, how do you get this sofa out and how hard is it to do?
you lost sam ? if that was posted somewhere, i missed it....
if so, always a sad day to lose a pup.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
you lost sam ? if that was posted somewhere, i missed it....
if so, always a sad day to lose a pup.....
Yes, very unexpectedly due to liver cancer. My post in Rainbow Bridge here. From the time I noticed something not quite right 3 weeks later she was gone at the young age of 12. She was so healthy, this was a shock. This past RV trip was my first without her (to Gaffney for annual service) and it was a very different experience. Odd how RVing with a pet, your best friend, is such a better experience than alone. She was the reason to explore and do things. Well, we all know this...but we'll see what time holds as to if/when I'll get another as Sam and I had a very special bond that I didn't have with my previous two labs and not sure I'll ever have again.

As to the posts about removing the JK sofa, thank you. It sounds like something I'll be able to do on my own and be able to reinstall when the time comes for the next pet chariot.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I had them swap out the hide-a-bed for the jack-knife in my CS, the dealer thought they would have to go out the window. Thankfully, the learned you do disassemble/reassemble it and take them in/out the door in pieces.

I have liked/enjoyed dogs, but this bond with my hound is beyond measure. That jack-knife sofa was money well spent. I wish it had been an option in my NA. I am willing to accept FT RV'ing could be over once she passes. She was my 'why' for do it in the first place. Anytime I spend even a few hours alone, the space feels hollow without her presence.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #10

Always a lonesome time after losing a cherished pet, even with a lot of people around.
Don't wait too long to get another.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all regarding the comments about Sam. As to the JK sofa it has been removed. I was able to do this by myself so I didn't have to bother someone to help me out. It was tough getting the base out but I'm glad I didn't scratch or ding anything getting it out. It was sorta simple disassembling, I hope I don't have to reinstall it someday.

The updesk has been installed, I will post pictures on my next trip when it's in functional mode i.e. the computer is setup with monitor as I keep that in the house for use while not traveling. The desk is heavy so that was a treat getting it in but I did so alone again. My motto is "if caveman could do it by himself so can I." - sometimes I need my caveman neighbor to help out

I think this is going to be a nice improvement for being more productive with my business while traveling which has been a challenge to date for many reasons (exhaustion, tinkering/mods, lack of motivation, master of procrastination to name a few).

Again, pictures will be posted of the office desk mode in place of the JK sofa in a few weeks, maybe sooner.