Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #1

How to use ac heat and burner automatically. (Oasis)

I have searched and could not find a straight answer to this, so I am asking to see if anyone may have any experience with this.

I am wondering if there is a way to use primarily ac heat on the oasis and have it automatically kick in the burner when the ac heat cant keep up. Then go back to using the ac heat once it catches up. Is there a way for it to do this without needing to manually manage and switch between ac and burner? Maybe by turning on both ac heat and burner switches?

Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

From the Oasis manual.
The OASIS Heating Module uses a diesel burner (12 VDC) controlled by a multi- functional electronic controller as the primary source of heating coolant fluid (anti- freeze and water). Two 1500 Watt, 120 VAC immersion elements are used as secondary heat sources.

What your asking is the exact opposite of how the system is designed to work. I use the Oasis system frequently in temperatures below freezing. The AC elements will not keep up with heating the coach. The burner will do this just fine and, the AC elements will kick on when the burner needs a boost. This usually will happen when you are calling for hot water while also heating the coach.

I recently was boondocking and I only used the diesel burner in temperatures down as low as 12F. There was no need for the AC elements and I would have had to run the generator to use them.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use my system a little different. I primarily use the AC I/II for hot water and the heat pumps for heating. If the heat pumps can not be used I then use the AC I/II for heat also.(furnace setting) I do switch on the burner if the temperature is going into the low 30s. What I see is the AC elements come on first and then the burner. If the elements can not maintain the coolant temperature above what is required by the system the burner kicks in.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

You might be able to take this concept to accomplish what you are wanting...

https://outsideourbubble.com/hey-dav...hack-aqua-hot/
Old 11-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I belive I mis worded my original post. I said use ac heat primarily and burner when ac can't keep up as I assumed that would be the way it would be designed to work, but I see my assumption was mistaken.
What i really meant to ask is how to set the oasis to use both the ac heat and the burner, in order to take advantage of both of them as to reduce wear and tear of one. But without needing to manually switch them on and off as it needs it. I had a look at the manual and it looks like it can be done by turning on the burner switch and then the ac heat switch. Then they will both work jointly.
We are new to the oasis and have only used it in the summer and left it off only just turning on the burner for showers then turning it off afterwards. Didnt use the ac heat as we were preserving our amps for air conditioning most of the time. So this winter I am interested in gaining a better understanding of how we can take advantage of the ac heat so the burner doesn't work to hard, as we won't be needing the extra amps for the air conditioning. The manual seemed to explain this pretty well as I said above. I am interested in starting a discussion incase there are any real world experience caveats that wouldn't be disclosed in the manual.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Old 11-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #6

What heat pumps do you have and what does your thermostat look like?

On my 2004 MA, I can accomplish what you are talking about by putting both both heat pumps in "HP" mode via the thermostat and turning on the Hydrohot diesel burner.

The heat pumps will work down to the mid 30s or so, then switch automatically to the Hydrohot furnace. The heat pumps will switch back on when the temps rise.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
What heat pumps do you have and what does your thermostat look like?

On my 2004 MA, I can accomplish what you are talking about by putting both both heat pumps in "HP" mode via the thermostat and turning on the Hydrohot diesel burner.

The heat pumps will work down to the mid 30s or so, then switch automatically to the Hydrohot furnace. The heat pumps will switch back on when the temps rise.
Just for clarification, by "ac heat" i am referring to the alternating current electric heating elements inside the oasis system, not the heat pumps, but wow, that is an interesting feature to be able to automatically take advantage of the heat pumps also automatically switching. I don't believe i have that feature, my thermostat only has 2 heating settings, heat pump and furnace. This sounds like a very interesting feature to have.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was trying to say that in my previous post. I use my system as stated in the manual. If its going to be cold enough that I figure the AC I/II can't manage I turn the burner on along with the AC I/II. This way the burner only come on when the AC I/II can't maintain the your desired temperature setting.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
I was trying to say that in my previous post. I use my system as stated in the manual. If its going to be cold enough that I figure the AC I/II can't manage I turn the burner on along with the AC I/II. This way the burner only come on when the AC I/II can't maintain the your desired temperature setting.
Yep. This is what I will end up doing I think. Appreciate the info.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"caleb1"....This is something I wrote when I first started using Oasis. It should answer most of your questions. It's a short read.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oas...es-229100.html
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What your asking for is the way the older Hydro Hots, early Aqua Hot's worked.
They had two seperate set's of thermostats to control the electric side, and diesel side. They operated exactly as you describe, starting the burner only if the electric couldn't keep up.
Unfortunately, sometime about 05', they changed them, and both electric and diesel burner share the same set of low/ hi temp thermostats. Now, when the boiler fluid temp drops to a preset temp, both start up simultaneously !
Old 11-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"caleb1"....This is something I wrote when I first started using Oasis. It should answer most of your questions. It's a short read.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oas...es-229100.html
I will take a look. Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
What your asking for is the way the older Hydro Hots, early Aqua Hot's worked.
They had two seperate set's of thermostats to control the electric side, and diesel side. They operated exactly as you describe, starting the burner only if the electric couldn't keep up.
Unfortunately, sometime about 05', they changed them, and both electric and diesel burner share the same set of low/ hi temp thermostats. Now, when the boiler fluid temp drops to a preset temp, both start up simultaneously !
I see. Well even if they both kick in at the same time, its still reducing wear and tear on them as they won't be on for as much time as if only one was on by itself without the other.

Tags
heat, oasis