Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How well does Newmar back its warranty and support the customer?

In researching our Class A diesel pusher purchase, I ask current and recent Newmar owners, "How well does Newmar back its warranty and support the customer?"

In 2006, Newmar shortened their new motorhome bumper-to-bumper warranty from three years to one year. Some iRV2 forum members expressed their concern that Newmar might transition to a focus on profits at the expense of customer focus.

Entegra Coach still offers a two year bumper-to-bumper warranty on their new motorhomes. I am asking a similar question on their owner forum.

Certainly, many factors will come into play in our final decision besides the length of warranty, would we buy new.

Thank you.

Vic
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We’ve had great customer service with our 2012 Dutch Star, although we bought it used and it was out of warranty. The Bay Star we had before this coach was purchased new and we had excellent warranty coverage on it although we only had a couple of issues while it was under warranty.
We’ve looked at Entegra and that’s a nice looking coach but since Thor owns them now we’ll be staying with our DSDP.
We’re active in the Newmar Kountry Klub, go to rallies and look at lots of new coaches but we love our “typical quad”, midship bath floor plan and will likely keep customizing, maintaining or remodeling it to serve our needs
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Warranty wasn’t a big factor for me as I grew up around RV’s and I’m comfortable repairing most things. Chassis and engine is the same.
Just me, but more important question is how do you feel after a six hour drive with crosswinds. Newmar’s Comfort Drive is a true differentiator.
Both are great coaches and both stand behind their brand.
So, both are great coaches, which one leaves the driver more relaxed at the end of a 400 mile day?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Our experience with Newmar has been great. We bought our current coach used, though only slightly. It had 3K miles on it; 2.5K were delivery miles. So, Newmar had no warranty obligation to us as coverage is only for the original purchaser.

Nevertheless, when we had a sidewall delamination, I called Newmar customer service to find out where I could get it fixed properly. The CS rep asked me to e-mail a couple of photos of the damage. I did so and within a day, I was told "that never should have happened, we'll take care of fixing it." I was directed to a Newmar dealer/service center in Oregon that got us right in and did a fantastic job of fixing the damage...under warranty. That's above and beyond in my book!

When we began the order process for our new coach; a Newmar Mountain Aire 4047, we worked with Michelle on some specials and questions on certain options. She was fabulous; we couldn't have asked for better customer service!

Bottom like: have no worry about Newmar's warranty and customer service performance.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The length of the warranty is not as important as getting the MH you want and need. There is no doubt in my mind that Newmar's Comfort Drive is a game changer. You usually don't find many warranty issues after the first year anyway. IMO you buy the coach not the warranty.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Our experience continues to be absolutely superb. This is our third coach and second Newmar. We really love our DS 4369 and enjoy driving it. Since we purcchased it in January, we have put ~8k miles on it which includes one cross country and back trip. There were a small number of issues, mostly with third party equipment, that were corrected with the help of Newmar CS. Most significant was with the KIB mother board that controlled the autofill. The CS worked all weekend including Saturday night trying to get it repaired. I purchased the coach for Newmar quality and CS and have not been disappointed -only impressed. As a side note, the Millers were asked at a recent rally why they changed the warranty to two years and they said the dealerships took advantge of it. My expereince with dealerships has not been good and like others here, I fix most of my stuff. Lastly, there are plenty of posts that confirm Newmar honors warranty beyond the year deadline - as do other quality coach manufacturers. At this point, we are happy customers.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #7

Russ, I'm a little confused about the "changed the warranty to two years" comment above . . . Isn't the Newmar warranty only ONE year?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #8

You pose the question about WARRANTY & SUPPORT........

While the warranty on the coach side is one year, remember the chassis which may even be more important is 2 years. This heavy lifting" part may be more important.

That said, in our personal experience, their support is "ongoing".
They are responsive, fair, and diligent in their communications when there is a problem. We have been out of warranty and they still honored an issue that they felt was their responsibility.

Each time we have had to call for "support" they have been terrific.

One cannot ask for more than that.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Russ, I'm a little confused about the "changed the warranty to two years" comment above . . . Isn't the Newmar warranty only ONE year?!?
Sorry --- fat fingers... should have read from two years to one year.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #10

We are probably going to "test the waters" on Newmars one year factory warranty. We have a couple minor issues that may or may not be taken care of prior to this coming November when our factory warranty expires. I am making Newmar aware of these issues but I certainly am not driving hundreds of miles out of my way or altering my travel plans this summer and fall to find a dealer, plus I heard the factory is already up to October on appointments. I plan on making an appointment for December at my selling dealer in SW Florida and having any issues taken care of then, which will be a month after my warranty officially expires.

We recently stayed in Red Bay AL and had a vendor install LEDs under our coach. While there we talked to numerous Tiffin owners obviously. Many were years out of factory warranty but Tiffin was doing some of their repairs at no cost, depending on what they were. We are hoping Newmar steps up for their customers also.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some factors to consider and the excellent help from Newmar forum members.
Plus some good people to help you out for specials you may consider in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #12

Our Baystar is just over a year old. Just after taking delivery, we discovered a handful of issues, many of these should have been taken care of by the dealer, but weren't (not one of the recommended dealers). I decided to take it to the factory for work last summer. GREAT job, very positive experience. Discovered a few more issues last fall and winter trip. Called my service pro (Steve, a great guy), and as he knew we were traveling, suggested I might save a trip by stopping at Freedom RV in Tucson. He got their service manager on the line and we setup an appointment. Freedom RV got it all fixed for me and I didn't have to make a special trip. Kudos to Steve and Brad at Newmar, and Brad and Dusty at Freedom.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #13

Vic I posted an answer to you over on the Entegra forum. I'll reiterate that first find a floor plan that you and your other half like. And the primary difference after that, if you are ordering a coach built for you rather than one off the lot, is that you can do lots of customization to a Newmar. If you like the flooring in a King Aire then it can be added to the coach you want to order as a 'special'. That is something exclusive to Newmar.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
A heartfelt "Thank You!" to all who have responded so quickly to my question about warranty and customer service.

Newmar and Entegra Coach are both great brands, as are a number of others.

Vic

Tags
newmar, warranty