Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #15

We own a 2017 London Air and have put many miles on it from the East Coast to the West coast to Alaska. Several things that you should have done prior to buying or shortly afterwards are:
1) The cooling fan gearbox mounting frame had a Freightliner mod to beef up the rounded tubular frame to a square support frame because of a cracking issue which resulted in damage to the radiator, fan, and the CAC.
2) There was a Newmar recall on the HWH steps that installed an over ride button by the door to extend the steps in case of the step sensor failure. In addition there was a system reset button installed in the overhead to kill power to the HWH system instead of having to pull a fuse to reset the entire system.
3) Check all the windows for the opening vent portion separating from the interior frame. Very obvious if you just place your hand on the window. A fogging window is a early sign of delam.
4) Check the Oasis summer loop pump to see if it is circulating hot water.
5) Check maintenance records for regular service.
6) The Silverleaf system is complicated and I learn things all the time, so get a good understanding when you pick up the coach.
7) If it has the Xcite radio/Nav unit there is a data card that is used for map and software updates.
8) On the main Silverleaf screen, check the chassis and the coach batteries voltages are the same when the lightning bolt is visible. This indicates that the charge bridge solenoid is operating.
9) With the full wall slide is fully extended, check to see if the floor is level side to side. There was a modification to early model '17 to level the floor.
10) If it has the Whirlpool washer, run the washer and make sure it goes into high spin and will complete a wash load. The Whirlpool washer is not the best thing around.
These are the top ten items that i know about first-hand. It might sound daunting but it is not. We did factory pickup of ours 4 years ago this week. We enjoy it every day. Needless to say you need to check operation of all slides, TV's, AC's, dash AC, lights (interior & exterior), macerator and macerator toilets, and tank level sensors. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post

As I understand it, Newmar produces a small number of this model each year....once was reserved for the founder's and their family members as the story goes.

It was originally built to compete with the bus conversions back in 06/07 era and they only built 15-20~ of them before the recession hit and cancelled plans to keep building them. The family had one and had to sell it back then (along with 15,000 acres of land) to keep Newmar going but they recently got it back and have made it like new again.

That London Aire and the current one are very different, the only thing they share is the name.

RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
We own a 2017 London Air and have put many miles on it from the East Coast to the West coast to Alaska. Several things that you should have done prior to buying or shortly afterwards are:
1) The cooling fan gearbox mounting frame had a Freightliner mod to beef up the rounded tubular frame to a square support frame because of a cracking issue which resulted in damage to the radiator, fan, and the CAC.
2) There was a Newmar recall on the HWH steps that installed an over ride button by the door to extend the steps in case of the step sensor failure. In addition there was a system reset button installed in the overhead to kill power to the HWH system instead of having to pull a fuse to reset the entire system.
3) Check all the windows for the opening vent portion separating from the interior frame. Very obvious if you just place your hand on the window. A fogging window is a early sign of delam.
4) Check the Oasis summer loop pump to see if it is circulating hot water.
5) Check maintenance records for regular service.
6) The Silverleaf system is complicated and I learn things all the time, so get a good understanding when you pick up the coach.
7) If it has the Xcite radio/Nav unit there is a data card that is used for map and software updates.
8) On the main Silverleaf screen, check the chassis and the coach batteries voltages are the same when the lightning bolt is visible. This indicates that the charge bridge solenoid is operating.
9) With the full wall slide is fully extended, check to see if the floor is level side to side. There was a modification to early model '17 to level the floor.
10) If it has the Whirlpool washer, run the washer and make sure it goes into high spin and will complete a wash load. The Whirlpool washer is not the best thing around.
These are the top ten items that i know about first-hand. It might sound daunting but it is not. We did factory pickup of ours 4 years ago this week. We enjoy it every day. Needless to say you need to check operation of all slides, TV's, AC's, dash AC, lights (interior & exterior), macerator and macerator toilets, and tank level sensors. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.
Thank you so much for this!!!! Extremely helpful!!!!!
Prudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #18

Just for clarity, the cooling fan issue was unique to the Freightliner chassis. If it has the Spartan chassis, this is not a concern.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
It was originally built to compete with the bus conversions back in 06/07 era and they only built 15-20~ of them before the recession hit and cancelled plans to keep building them. The family had one and had to sell it back then (along with 15,000 acres of land) to keep Newmar going but they recently got it back and have made it like new again.

That London Aire and the current one are very different, the only thing they share is the name.

That is a beautiful classic looking coach. Love the slides with rounded corners like a Newell.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
That is a beautiful classic looking coach. Love the slides with rounded corners like a Newell.
Yeah. My next coach is going to have those flush slides with the neumatic seals. Probably a Foretravel.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #21

length will restrict you from national and state parks, enjoy its a great life. Create a check list for setting up and leaving. One person inside, one person outside
RVMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #22

Glad to see you asking for advice, and, I have my $.02 to add. Since you're new to this and are asking for advice and obviously you want to make a sound purchase and at a the right price. I suggest you enlist the services of an independent RV Inspector https://nrvia.org/locate/

It is well worth the price to find out what YOU can't see or know to check prior to purchase. If the seller says NO......walk away and look elsewhere. If the seller agrees see if they'll offer to pay half the cost and they can have a copy of the results.

This make for reasonable offer on your end.

Either way good luck and Happy Trails
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Ask for the engine and chassis maintenance records. You may want a Cummins inspection on the engine and a independent RV inspection on the coach. My 2 cents.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #24

That is a lot of rig for a newbie unless you have some truck driving experience. So I advise to take it slow with lots of short trips. If you have room then park it in your front yard and try living in it for a couple days. Get used to the systems. Then take it on a short trip to a local RV Park. Then gradually longer trips. Get used to the water system, heating system, electrical system, etc. It is fun and not so nerve wracking as going on a long trip your first time out. We had a 40' American Eagle and enjoyed the heck out of it. But we like our 33' Tiffin a lot more. Easier to maneuver and can get into most state campgrounds where a 40 footer would find it almost impossible.
Have fun. We love RVing.

Rick Rinehart
2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 33AA Diesel Pusher
2014 Honda CR-V Toad
rvrinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
take lots of notes and i would even recommend taking video with your phone or tablet. There will be so much info given during a walk thru it is so tough to remember it all especially on your first coach. Beautiful coach, you'll love it. Happy camping
have wife with you on the tour around the coach for all the features, knobs, dials, switches ,gauges, etc. This way between the two of you will Remember about 25% and have to learn the hard way the other 75%.
If you are new to motor homing this is to big a rig to introduce your self to
rving.
GOODFUNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #26

It has a Diesel engine.

My RV is in the shop repairing the Cummins diesel. It only has about 70,000 miles on it and the engine has been maintained. The last repair was about $20,000 and this one is about $18,000. You had better have money set aside for repairs if you buy a diesel pusher. At this point, I would only buy a gas powered RV. Cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.
Ian2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #27

BobJan

Have it inspected! I purchased a 2012 phaeton and had it inspected for $900 but negotiated a $10,000 reduction in price!!!
Worth every penny and I’ve had 5 coaches!
Good Luck
BobJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudawg View Post
About to make an offer on a 2017 Newmar London Aire 4519. We are newbies and are ready to make our first purchase. Just curious if anyone has any advice on this coach. Any known issues? What to ask to be included with offer, etc....

We also have a 17 LA on a Spartan chassis. Problem areas for us has been the HWH steps (actually sensors and wiring up under steps) all has been replaced. We just replaced all three of the Oasis circulation pumps to the new style. Replaced Clarion navigation unit with a new Pioneer with wireless Apple CarPlay. We leave the navigation to our Garmin 770RV. We have the collision avoidance system, if you have that you cannot disable it and does not play well in even light traffic.
We are well satisfied with our LA!Click image for larger version

Name:	EB9C0737.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	326291
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london aire, newmar