RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

Hughes Autoformer in 40' Ventana

I was wondering if anyone has installed an autoformer in the electrical service compartment on a 40 foot Ventana. The 43' foot coach looks like it would have plenty of room but I'm not sure about the 40 foot one. I was hoping to have Newmar wire this in next month when we pick up the coach.

Thanks

sbahrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

One caution, if you choose the TRC autoformer, which I use, it does not have internal surge protection so use a surge protector on front of it. I did not install mine permanently but will soon

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
One caution, if you choose the TRC autoformer, which I use, it does not have internal surge protection so use a surge protector on front of it. I did not install mine permanently but will soon
If you install a surge protector with low & high voltage protection upstream (in front of) an autoformer/voltage regulator, the autoformer will probably never come on because the surge protector will shut off the electrical connection at low/high voltages and before the autoformer/voltage regulator kicks in.

TRC recommends using their "entry level" Model 44270 upstream of TRC's voltage regulator.

The 44270 is just a fancy LED indicator for Open Ground, Open Neutral, and Polarity electrical errors. In other words it tells you the problem, but does nothing to protect against it.

The idea behind the 44270 is that you plug it into the power pedestal first before connecting anything else. So if it indicates an Open Neutral, leave the campground.

However, if the the 44270 shows that everything is hunky dory and you then connect your autoformer/voltage regulator, your autoformer/voltage regulator is not protected if a fault occurs later.

TRC is very plain about their voltage regulator protection . . . "The TRC Voltage Regulator is not a protective device and the connected RV will not be protected from damage should an open neutral or surge develop during the course of operation. The fault indicator panel is for indication only".

On the other hand, the Hughes autoformer manual vaguely states that their autoformer is protected from "various spikes and surges. In certain instances, a surge or spike might actually damage your Autoformer while it’s protecting your RV". Exactly what kind of spikes and surges?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

I spoke with Hughes and they recommendedee a surge protector in front of the autoformer that would protect against surges and spikes but not low voltage. I plan to put the Progressive Industries Smart Surge in between the park power source and the autoformer. Hughes said that they are developing a new unit that will have the surge protection built in, however it isn't ready for sale yet.

My question, however, is whether or not the Hughes Autoformer can be installed in the electric service compartment on the 40' Ventana. I was hoping to have Newmar install it on delivery and I thought maybe someone has tried it and could advise me of any issues that they may have had.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Proressive Industries makes both a good Surge Protector Power Monitor and a cheap one.. The Cheap one has what looks like LED lights but NO LDC

That one goes in FRONT of the Hughes

The one WITH the LCD, follows.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, I would think there would be plenty of room, maybe someone can post a photo of their electrical bay, here is mine.........
Mine has been n service for 6 years now, works fine with my surge guard in front of it, protecting it from damage. I would not want to ship one of these units back for service! Flat out, they are a large transformer! and very heavy! Might just as well buy a new one per the shipping charges plus repairs
When my in-coming service gets down to 113 VAC, it boosts...........my surge guard does not shut down in coming power till 103 VAC. I have had folks on both sides of me, when experiencing low voltage in campgrounds, during a brown out, loose their AC compressors!
There have been other that installed the autoformer before their surge protector, and after needing to have to ship it in for repairs......, I have read where they have changed their minds, and changed what it is in the line of "Fire" first
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Steve, I would think there would be plenty of room, maybe someone can post a photo of their electrical bay, here is mine.........
Mine has been n service for 6 years now, works fine with my surge guard in front of it, protecting it from damage. I would not want to ship one of these units back for service! Flat out, they are a large transformer! and very heavy! Might just as well buy a new one per the shipping charges plus repairs
When my in-coming service gets down to 113 VAC, it boosts...........my surge guard does not shut down in coming power till 103 VAC. I have had folks on both sides of me, when experiencing low voltage in campgrounds, during a brown out, loose their AC compressors!
There have been other that installed the autoformer before their surge protector, and after needing to have to ship it in for repairs......, I have read where they have changed their minds, and changed what it is in the line of "Fire" first
Thanks to all for your replies. Palehorse, you have gobs of room compared to the pics I have seen of the Ventana's compartment. I have only viewed a video of the compartment and unfortunately, I don't have a picture that I can post. I have the power reel which takes up space and it just looks tight in there. It is hard to tell from the video, but maybe moving things around in there will make enough room. The wet bay is next to it on the one side and the hydronic heat is on the other so I can't steal room from there if needed. I think that the small compartment with the slide tray is behind it. Maybe someone could post a pic of their Ventana electric service compartment.

We were in Brevard County, FL last year with our TT and I had the PI surge with low voltage protection and several times over the weekend the surge protector shut down the power because of the voltage. Because of that we decided to get an autoformer for the new coach. Hopefully, we can fit it in somewhow. If not, I will have to formulate a plan B and you're right it is a heavy sucker.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck in your quest Steve, and make sure to post photo's on your new Coach when you get it! There is a way to do anything...........
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Steve, were you able to fit the Hughes unit and the Progressive surge suppressor in this week? Did the service guys do it during your CPU? How much did they charge?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Hey Steve, were you able to fit the Hughes unit and the Progressive surge suppressor in this week? Did the service guys do it during your CPU? How much did they charge?
Frank,

I was going to write a little about it in my delivery comments when I get a chance to take a few pics inside and write something. We are in Illinois visiting my mother and will be here for a week so I'm hopeful I can get that done.

Unfortunately, it really wouldn't work. In fact, it wouldn't fit between the power reel and the already installed electrical box. They could have moved the reel over to the right against the wall and made enough room for it to fit but with the re-wiring they would have had to do it would have packed in there like a can of sardines. I don't know how much ventilation it might need, but I assume some heat is generated. Anyway, I made the decision to forgo it for now. If I'm at a campground that appears to be suspect for it's power distribution, I can hook it up outside. I also have a 50 amp surge protector that goes outside, although there should be room inside for that. When I first looked at the space, I was looking at a 43' Ventana and it didn't dawn on me that the 40' might have less space. I never got to the point of a quote.

Overall, a great experience and in my opinion well worth the money and time. Met lots of super people too!!

Oh and it drives like a dream. I've got my first 300 miles under my belt and two construction zones with barriers on both sides. Thank goodness for Comfort Drive. Wind was sideways at 15 to 20 and some gusts, but it was easy to hold on line.

Later
Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
OK thanks for the update, sorry it didn't work out for you, hopefully in my 43 DSDP I will have room.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
But great to hear it went well, can't wait to see pics!
Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, There are surge protectors and there are "surge protectors"
My my dictionary a surge is a sustained high voltage
A SPIKE on the other hand is a very fast transient. (Like less than 1/30 second)

Spike supressors are sold as SURGE guards

I do not know if the Hughes Autoformer can deal with 240 volts or not, but Progressive Industries makes basically 3 times 2 surge protectors

First the 2,, 30 or 50 amp
Now the 3
One is a low cost (roughly 100 bucks) had a few LED type indicators, no LCD display.. This is a spike supressor. plug it into 220 volts by mistake and it sounds like fire crackers as MOV's inside blow up.. The Hughes Autoformor has some of those MOVs too You can and likely should put one of these before the Hughes.

The other two have LCD displays (HD or PT) the HD the lcd is remote and the device is designed to be Hard Wired, the PT the lcd is part of the plug in and plug into box.

THESE should go AFTER the HUGHES so they can let the hughes do it's thing in a low voltage park.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!

Tags
vent