Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #1

HWH 3 step broken and contact with HWH

On our 2018 London Aire I wondered why the left side of step going into the coach was a lot lower then the other side. When checking to see the problem you can see in the photo the step arm is broken and it looks like I might have to remove the step assembly to weld or replace. A lot of work not sure which way to go but have an idea and see if it works tomorrow.
Contacted HWH on Monday of last week in the morning and was told there would be a contact soon. Waited until Tuesday afternoon and called again and was told again soon someone would contact me. Did this each day till Friday and still never got a call back. I have the parts number and a price which I got from an email to them but can't order until you get a call back for Credit Card and shipping. Be prepared for this if you need HWH parts.
Those with the HWH 3 step might check and see if your step arms are not bent, damaged or need lubrication.

Newmar Man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	338842  
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Rd1

It was discussed here;

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hwh...ed-544058.html
Old 08-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #3

Tom,
As they say, been there done that. The link in the above reply is my experience with HWH, Newmar, and how I replaced the broken support rail. I thought about having the old one welded but after replacing with a new support rail, I don't believe a repaired rail would have worked in my case. The old rail was cracked in two directions. If you need more information on replacing the rail, PM me and I will be happy to share my experience.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

I have posted on my experience with this problem on other threads. This is my observation on this issue; over the past month traveling I have observed about a half dozen coaches with these steps in CG's, all but one were showing signs of cracking and in the same area. Engineering wise this is a very poor design, and I believe simply replacing the broken part will not solve the problem to prevent the repeating of the issue. The steps when extended are cantilevered out from the coach, it is natural to reach to open the door with the right hand, thus stepping on the lower left side of the bottom step to enter the coach, this induces torque into the step assembly putting excessive load into the upper left rail, ( I am sure this rail was cold formed and the metal has already been stretched in the area of the failure) thus the constant flexing of the bend in the upper left rail I believe is creating metal fatique at that point leading to the failure of the part. Simply replacing the part is just going to start the cycle again. In fact if you step on the middle of the lower extended step there is considerable flexing in the whole unit. The challenge now is what to do to prevent a repeat of what we just fixed. I think for now I will just put a stack of wood blocks under the lower step until we can come up with a better solution. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
I have posted on my experience with this problem on other threads. This is my observation on this issue; over the past month traveling I have observed about a half dozen coaches with these steps in CG's, all but one were showing signs of cracking and in the same area. Engineering wise this is a very poor design, and I believe simply replacing the broken part will not solve the problem to prevent the repeating of the issue. The steps when extended are cantilevered out from the coach, it is natural to reach to open the door with the right hand, thus stepping on the lower left side of the bottom step to enter the coach, this induces torque into the step assembly putting excessive load into the upper left rail, ( I am sure this rail was cold formed and the metal has already been stretched in the area of the failure) thus the constant flexing of the bend in the upper left rail I believe is creating metal fatique at that point leading to the failure of the part. Simply replacing the part is just going to start the cycle again. In fact if you step on the middle of the lower extended step there is considerable flexing in the whole unit. The challenge now is what to do to prevent a repeat of what we just fixed. I think for now I will just put a stack of wood blocks under the lower step until we can come up with a better solution. Just my $.02 worth.
The problem with your track is two fold. If you are up on jacks and a jack leaks you could bend your steps. If you are on air bags and they drop, you could bend your steps. The safest position would be air bags dumped sitting on the frame. The only thing that could happen then would be a flat tire which would be rare.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #6

That is a valid point and surely a possibility, and I have considered that. Also looking for a reasonable solution to be able to level the coach and overcome the issues you describe. So far it has eluded me. OBTW, after having the split rail replaced at HWH last month, and at a cost of almost $500, I had to remove the bottom cover and realign the magnetic switch that the tech failed to secure within the first 100 miles. Yesterday I noticed two of the rivets that hold the small black guides in place had sheared off and the guide was about halfway from falling out. The tech apparently did not use the washers on the pop rivets when he replaced them during the repair, allowing them to get loose and shear off. I am not impressed with the design of these steps nor the workmanship at the factory repair center, just saying.
resullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

HWH did get back with us on Monday and did order the 2 tension rods which broke when the step bracket broke. Knowing that replacing the same bracket that broke was going to happen again decided to fix the damaged bracket and then build a metal brace to hold it tight and stop the movement of the step when going in and out of coach. Bent the bracket back to the correct shape and then added some angle iron about 10 inches long to give it more strength. Since no space to work to either weld or bolt support on used JB Weld. Then built a brace that attached to the two bolts on the damaged bracket to add more support to the left side of step assembly. Just a slight bit of movement when using steps and a lot more supportive than just what HWH had.
Newmar Man
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	339090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	339092