Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH Computerized Leveling

On a 2003 DP Mountain Aire 40'. We have the above system and it works fine as the selling dealer replaced the main pump unit for our delivery.

I have two questions. First is that on retraction one or two of the jacks cylinders are a bit slow for the last inch or so. I'm in FL and the temps are in the 70's so that isn't the problem. My thought is to use a solvent to clean the bottom couple of inches of the pistons then with a clean rag soaked in ATF or an appropriate oil wipe the lower sections of the pistons.

Second is that the coach levels just fine but when it is done the door on the shower and the toilet room do not stay open they both swing slowly toward forward. Not a real problem but I have experimented a bit and if I manually adjust the front up about an inch the doors stay as they should. So the question is, "Does anyone here have any experience in resetting the level points with in the system?" I have a have a two way level gauge and I can tell you that it reads a bit different on different surfaces in the coach. Not much but some. The bubbles are in between the lines but not exactly in the middle so it is really minor but hey it is nice to have something just really picky to fix than something really bad that needs fixing.

I was told when the dealer installed the new pump that the coach had to go over to one bay that they use to set the leveling so my guess is there is a way to readjust it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

PS. I have gone to the HWH site and they have a very good Q&A section. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html There is a chart on question 93 as to the times that are allowed for retraction at different external temps. 4-5 minutes in 60* and above are not unusual. The recommend WD40 as a wipe solvent. Also the recommend to change the springs to the tapered style if not already done. Si we will have to get under there to see what we have as far as springs go.

They also have a manual on setting the leveling. http://www.hwh.com/ml47508.pdf

PSII. Check out question #111. http://www.hwh.com/ml40256.pdf

So you will have no doubt as to what system you have. Both by year and by wording on the control panel when the years overlap. I got to say these folks have the stuff together for sure.

I would still like to hear from anyone that has done either of the two repairs themselves.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

I had the same system as yours on a previous coach. One rear jack was always slow coming up but within the times specified. I replaced the springs and it made no difference. Wiping down with WD40 before retracting helps. Extend the jacks fully and then spray. Retract while it is still wet.
The automatic leveling is not perfect and like you I use a level and manually adjust to get it right. I wouldn't worry about trying to get it adjusted.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You can adjust what the computer considers level, but even when you get it perfect a couple of months later you'll have to readjust. I agree with Algoma and always double check it with a level and adjust as necessary. When it gets too far off then adjust the computer.
As far as lubrication again I agree with Algoma and spray it with WD-40 then retract, seems to work pretty good.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VP Chianese,
If the jacks have never been replaced, the vintage of your coach tells me cleaning and wiping the piston is a temporary fix. The problem may be the bottom seal in the cylinder is collapsing onto the piston. This is like a cancer. It will slowly get worse. Consider obtaining a 5' steel bar and carry it in the coach basement. One of these days the jack will not retract all the way. You will need to provide some encouragement to the jack. The only permanent fix is to have the jack rebuilt or replaced. Over time, I replaced all my jacks for this reason. Two were saved and I will have them rebuilt.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys.

I will do the wipe thingy and wait for them to fail. Who knows how long that can be.

After reading the material from the company I'm not concerned as much as they are in the three to three and 1/2 minute range right now.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Commercial Member

are you going to the good sam rally in phoenix az the last of feb, or
the fmca rally in madison wi this summer. the last week in july? i would be able to take a look at the problem, if you want. we should have the parts to fix it if necessary. i could arrange to have whatever we need on hand. my cell is 602-549-3638. please feel free to call me anytime.
i do work for hwh, and do no do part sales here, only diagnostics.
thanks, paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
are you going to the good sam rally in phoenix az the last of feb, or
the fmca rally in madison wi this summer. the last week in july? i would be able to take a look at the problem, if you want. we should have the parts to fix it if necessary. i could arrange to have whatever we need on hand. my cell is 602-549-3638. please feel free to call me anytime.
i do work for hwh, and do no do part sales here, only diagnostics.
thanks, paul maddox
Paul,

Thanks for your offer. We may go to the FMCA rally as we are going to a dog show the first week of August in Frankenmuth MI.

After reading the literature from the company I'm not sure I have a problem at all. Now the leveling is just a matter of how picky we want to be. It levels fine except for the door to the bath swinging full open and door to the shower wanting to close on your backside while drying off. Neither a major problem. One thing I do notice is the washer doesn't try to leave it's stand with every slight uneven load when I raise the coach in the front a bit.

I'll let you know and we may come up anyway. Good excuse to join the FMCA.

Tags
computer, hwh, leveling