Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #1

HWH Customer Service

Had an appointment yesterday morning at HWH factory service in Moscow Iowa, to repair their "waterfall" steps on my 2017 LADP. After replacing a split upper glide rail and a bill of $480, steps appeared to work and we were on our way. First stop 100 miles down the road and the steps are not functioning properly, Hydraulic pump does not shut off when steps are in the extended position. Tried to call the service center and all I got was a message that some one would call, this has not happened. Does anyone have a phone number to get directly to Ashley at the service desk? I have only had to deal with HWH on a few occasions and getting to talk to someone has always been a big problem. Any suggestions helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

I would turn back around and go back to HWH.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just called them yesterday and a nice lady picked up right away. First question was, "are you stranded?" "No".
I will schedule a tech to call back in the next day or two.
They are that backed up.

800-321-3494
563-724-3396
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sorry, but HWH is a horrific company when it comes to customer service. If you're not stranded, but working on a broken system, them calling you back in 2-3 days, is not helpful. They were this way before Covid hit. Their only saving grace is Paul Maddox, a field rep, who apparently doesn't go along with their crap service. He'll actually answer a phone and help you, unfortunately, he's only one guy and gets inundated.

Sorry, had to rant!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
Had an appointment yesterday morning at HWH factory service in Moscow Iowa, to repair their "waterfall" steps on my 2017 LADP. After replacing a split upper glide rail and a bill of $480, steps appeared to work and we were on our way. First stop 100 miles down the road and the steps are not functioning properly, Hydraulic pump does not shut off when steps are in the extended position. Tried to call the service center and all I got was a message that some one would call, this has not happened. Does anyone have a phone number to get directly to Ashley at the service desk? I have only had to deal with HWH on a few occasions and getting to talk to someone has always been a big problem. Any suggestions helpful.

Had to fix mine myself. Take plastic cover off and probably connection on magnetic sensor pulled apart. They did not put wires up high enough for step retraction. I am down in Louisiana so everything having to do with HWH, I had to learn to do. It is very aggravating, that they take sometimes weeks to return a call
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Nobody is that busy, and I can't see them having that many problems that they can't return phone calls or respond in a timely manner.

Obviously they just don't care about after the sale service.

Like many of us we found that learning the systems and having the trouble shooting menus your better off fixing it yourself or have friend help you.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
……….

Like many of us we found that learning the systems and having the trouble shooting menus your better off fixing it yourself or have friend help you.
This is so, so true.
Doesn’t matter what the situation is, you can save a lot of head ache if you know how to fix things or learn & understand how things work.

Many on this site (and other sites) complain, complain, complain.
I feel bad for them as these RV machines are built up break and malfunction.

So if you can learn to fix the minor stuff yourself, it reduces the stress of reliance & dependence on others.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Service was excellent. Staff was very accommodating. My appointment was for the Tue. They had an opening Monday afternoon right after I arrived and started to work on it. Only charged an hour labor($98) to diagnose and fix. Staying overnight in the camping area. Very pleased with the service. We stayed in there campground Basic 50a no water or sewer so tank up with water.
CharleyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #9

We have a 18 LA and i know a lot about the 3 step from HWH. Very nice when working but is high maintenance and thank goodness I work on it. The two sensors at the front of the step have both gone bad and replaced them once. Order a extra from HWH for 116$ because Newmar charger us 214$. When it goes out you have no step usage so 1st recommend get one. Both sensors are the same.
Changed the screws for holding bottom plastic cover on so I can get it off in 10 minutes not like the 1st time taking the cover off with numerous different screw taking a half hour.
There is a magnetic switch that control the stopping of the motor running when either opening or closing door which on our wasn't able to adjust so had to add another magnetic to get it to work right.
Do need to tie up the wires so they aren't pulled apart when step is moving.
Should make a You Tube video next time I am down there working on 3 step. Helps when working on it to extend gen. slide.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:15 AM   #10

Tom, can you share with me what you changed the screws to on the plastic cover to for easier removal. Also what type of magnet did you add, and where to get them?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #11

On our 18 LA Newmar had 3 different types of screws so you needed to change different drivers for each type of screw. I put it together with just one size screw so you didn't need to use a number of different tools to get cover off.
When trying to adjust the magnet to shut off the motor when full extended there just wasn't enough length to reach and had to put a another small magnet on top of the HWH magnet to get the adjustment for the stop on motor. Just a small magnet had in the shop but sure ACE would have one too. because another magnet they just stuck together and stayed.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I will schedule a tech to call back in the next day or two.
They are that backed up.
That was the 24th.
Well, it's Monday the 28th and no call back yet.
Waiting.........................😒
Old 06-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #13

My experience was like CharleyL's. On my last Journey motorhome I had an electronic component go bad so if I started the jacks down, they wouldn't stop until they all bottomed out. I called them, they made an appointment for very early morning for two days after I had called. I stayed overnight in their area with hookups. Early the next morning my Journey was in and repaired and the bill was around $100.

That said, there is no excuse for that kind of delay in calling back. In my company, you work after normal hours if your work for the day is not done. They could be doing customer support call backs in the evening.

Unfortunately there are so many "fancy" things in motorhomes and other RV's now-a-days, it just adds to the breakage and need to fix issues...and the complexity of a fix, if one can do it at all on their own.

As Scotty said on Star Trek after sabotaging the Excelsior..."the more complex they make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Old 06-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Still no reply from HWH and also Stuart's. I contacted them as well.

Tags
hwh, service