Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Rd1

HWH Jack retracts on its own!

Have had a few issues with the HWH leveling jacks lately, not retracting and occasionally the buzzer goes off when starting the engine, eventhough the jacks have already been stored. now it seems the real problem is showing up. Once the coach is leveled and all fours are down, after a few minutes the LF jack retracts on its own! I can do the auto level and the LF will extend and level, however, after a few minutes it goe back up on its own. I have tried to do manual level and it works fine, once again after a few minutes the LF goes back up! anyone had this issue? thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

I have had issues and found HWH to be very helpful. Contact them at HWH Corporation   Welcome to HWH Corporation Address: 2087 307th St, Moscow, IA 52760 Phone:(563) 724-3396
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have had issues and found HWH to be very helpful. Contact them at HWH Corporation   Welcome to HWH Corporation Address: 2087 307th St, Moscow, IA 52760 Phone:(563) 724-3396
It's been a while, but when I was there for service, the service manager took all the customers to lunch....

Really nice folks.... and a nice facility.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

I had the same issue on my drivers side front jack. You can try and "flush" the solenoid seat by manually retracting, then extending the jack a couple of times, to see if that helps. On mine it worked for a while then eventually nothing would make the jack stay down. In this case I replaced the solenoid, (fairly easy to do) and that has cured it for good
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

I have also had great success w HWH tech rep walking me thru troubleshooting pn the phone while in the CG....and was always able to pinpoint the problem and recommend action.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

I had a similar experience where my RF jack would retract on its own and called HWH for advise. The procedure that I received for flushing my front system is.

Front jacks down, open the solinoid which needs to be flushed, manually raise the jacks until you feel the upward motion, release the raise button. Repeat 3-4 times.

While on the phone I ordered a replacement solinoid and still have it sealed in a plastic bag. It's been 2 years now and working fine.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Try calling them and let us know how that works out. I tried to order parts and they would not talk to me, said it would be a day and half.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Try calling them and let us know how that works out. I tried to order parts and they would not talk to me, said it would be a day and half.
DAJO, I usually call HWH early in the morning and have been able to speak to tech within minutes. The only time that I was asked to leave my phone for a return call, they got back to me within 20 minutes. So the secret may be to do it early in the day before they start getting a backlog of calls.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
DAJO, I usually call HWH early in the morning and have been able to speak to tech within minutes. The only time that I was asked to leave my phone for a return call, they got back to me within 20 minutes. So the secret may be to do it early in the day before they start getting a backlog of calls.
Thanks that is good to know.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Rd1

Thank you for the replies. I did contact HWH, however, they can't help!!!!

They tell me its newmar new policy?!?!? have to go thru newmar.. waiting to hear back from newmar.. '

I did try the flush, now the RR does not retract. will try again tomorrow, too dark and too tired.. thank you for the information.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Any resolution to this? My RF jack is doing the same thing. Newmar thinks it's a valve. I'm trying to reach HWH.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #12
Rd1

They replaced the solenoid for that jack
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

We have had jack trouble with our 2010 Dutch Star 4386. I found on the iRV forum a suggestion to contact Stuart Service in Elkart IN. We did and they only work on HWH jack system. They are very knowledgeable and very helpful and will discuss your problem and help diagnose what the problem could be and what you will need to do. I would contact them and see if they can help. 574-262-0225
krzy parents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same problem!

The difference: it is usually our left rear jack. But recently the right rear jack came up on its own as well.

Then, I started to noticed the jack that came up tended to be the one that came down last and that tends to be the one opposite of the side that needed leveling first (auto level).

No response from HWH (formal email submission for help).

Newmar took weeks to respond via their website help request form (I'm now 3 months out of warranty) and said I must take it into my dealer.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of going to the dealer after all of our warranty visits the first year of ownership. They are not such a bad place, but I would not call them HWH experts and I'm just tired of the whole service visit experience.

So poked around every forum on the web and found that others suggested checking the fluid level. Indeed I found my fluid level was low. I put a whole quart of fluid in the tank and now my jacks stay down! Make sure you do this with the jacks up and don't overfill the tank. There was also talk of solenoids being the problem on those other forums too.

But, I still have a problem... a slow leak somewhere around the manifold. This must be why I had to add hydraulic fluid. I can see a layer of gunk collecting over the reservoir and around some of the hydraulic hoses. So next time out I'll try tightening all of my hoses and hope that does it. If not, I'll just carry around a few quarts of Dexron ATF (I got the NAPA brand) until I have the patience to schedule a visit to the dealer.

There is lots of info on the fluid type on the HWH FAQ website.

Tags
hwh