Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone else had problems with their solenoids repeatedly failing to open? I am on my second constant solenoid and yesterday, when getting the coach ready to come home - the jacks would not retract - yet again . Well, a good whack with a hammer closed the contact, but it is scary to see the coach heading for your head as you lay under it, not to mention a pain in the a** getting down & up again.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone else had problems with their solenoids repeatedly failing to open? I am on my second constant solenoid and yesterday, when getting the coach ready to come home - the jacks would not retract - yet again . Well, a good whack with a hammer closed the contact, but it is scary to see the coach heading for your head as you lay under it, not to mention a pain in the a** getting down & up again.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #3

i have had relays fail. solenoids leak. jacks leak, but i have never fixed anything with a hammer. could you describe where the part is located and where to hit it. i am always looking for new ways to avoid going to an rv garage??
1996 kountrystar, hwh 610 jacks.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Doc,if the solenoid is activated with 12VDC,
is it getting the full voltage? Can you start retracting while still on shore power or after starting the engine.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Mark, I went through several solenoids on the Essex, I swore it was because of the way they were mounted and lo and behold I received a TSB and a bracket to turn them on their side...

I'm not familiar with your rig,but if your solenoids are mounted with the lugs facing straight UP and they're subject the weather, I think that's someplace to start...

The solenoids on the EXDP are mounted in front of the right front tire and directly behind the front cowl.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #6

Hi Mark! Make sure your solenoid has been modified and turned sideways. If not get the update kit from Newmar. It solved our problem for awhile. We then had a bad ground connection under the HWH assembly up front. When that was fixed all of our problems cleared up. Paul
Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Something else I thought of and it'll depend once again on where your relays are located...

I had investigated the possibility of relocating the solenoid/relays over into the first compartment on the driver's side and all it would've taken was some 12V wiring...
That was something I was going to do, had I kept the EXDP...

Now owning the LADB, I have a bazillion more of those little buggers in addition to the HWH system....I now have a "fill" water solenoid to fill the water tank AND a "feed" water solenoid, which takes care of the water softener, keeping it from regenerating and filling the gray tank.....SHEESH!!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #8

My situation is that the jacks will not go down. The road tech from North Trail thought it was a solenoid problem and he replaced it with a "sealed" unit. Did not fix my problem and HWH is sending a new touch pad and a complete new control unit. There is some guessing going on at this time as the exact problem has not been pin-pointed. But the key to some of your problems may be the sealed unit which prevents water from entering the unit regardless of the mounting position.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

John, the remount kit is used even in the case of the sealed relays...
Nothing more than an "L" bracket that turns the relays on their side...

Sounds like Terry from North Trail is staying pretty busy,as another friend of mine over in Cypress Woods is waiting for him to do an awning repair BEFORE he can move his coach...

Brand new TS Select Limited and it's awning caught a microburst and flipped OVER the rig.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">replaced it with a "sealed" unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi John! I thought we got all the bugs out? See what happens when I leave Florida. When you say sealed unit do you mean just the solenoid, or did they come up with a fix where both solenoids and wiring are now sealed form the elements? Paul
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, he is referring to the solenoid itself being a sealed unit..

They've not made the determination that the entire shooting match needs to be out of the elements, although I MADE that determination with respect to the Essex...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #12

Hey Guy's
Read about this problem when we first got our coach.
The easeist solution is to buy a can of undercoating spray from your local auto supply store. Spray it all over that little thing.
For some reason, they mounted it in the gen dept right where all the water and grime from the road would get all over it! Over the right front tire.
Also, NAPA has a sealed one you might want to keep around. Part #ST85.
07 Essex 4508
eglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:55 AM   #13

Generally those soleniods, the valving, the wiring and motor will survive the elements as they are used in under the hood applications such as snow plowing. I believe they are made by Fenner Stone.

Peter
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Mark & Sheila,

My rig is older, but a few weeks ago my jacks wouldn't retract. I crawled under and checked some contacts and had Patty push the store button. I know what you mean by the coach comming down . But the problem came up again, and I couldn't even get them to manually retract by opening the solenoids.

A call to a friend told me it was a bad "shuttle valve". He told me to open a nut on top of the HWH manifold. I heard a metallic click, pushed the store button and up they went . I thought I had an electrical problem too. I called HWH and they confirmed.

Check to see if your new unit has a shuttle valve.