Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mteerjim
HWH jack system failure with six on board

On vacation with four adults and two grandkids. Returned to KOA site to settle in for night. Then as I atempted leveling, the jacks they would not come down. Indicator light said "severe slop" but I an on the same level pad for the third night! I tried the "manual" method as stated in instructions, but no dice. Retried several times and even moved the RV back on and off the pad. I could hear what sounded like a motor start running under the front, but no jacks down front or rear when HWH lights went out each time.
This four day trip started with a bad generator governor ($350.), then I added in a burned up water pump by draining out the stale water w/o turning off the pump ($150.) now this . My wife is ready to sell it and rent a car to go home. Any ideas folks?
Mteerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple things first, are you in park, with parking brake set?

If you have an indicator light saying "severe slope", you have a feature mine does not have, however there is a "level sensor" that is part of the controls. It is usually in the HWH control box, which should be near the pump. It will have a clear, plexiglass cover on it. Your HWH manual should give you information on how to reset that level indicator device. If you do not have the manual, in the Newmar forum, go to the "QUICK FIXES AND EASY MODS" post. There is a discussion on resetting the level sensor in that.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't find a solution, you indicated you were on a reasonably level site. If so, don't worry about not having the jacks down. You will have some rocking about as people walk around, but it's not enough of a problem to let it ruin your weekend.
(We did not have jacks on our first Pace Arrow, so it's not so big a thing if the ones we have now do not work for a weekend or even a trip. We have had troubles, and we don't let not having them spoil what we are doing.)
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

Sounds like your having too much fun. Could it be as simple as a low battery condition? Bad connections ? Blown fuse from the governor failure ? Hook to shore power for an hour then try again. My first experiance with a MH leveler, helping a friend , turned out to be a bad battery.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
Simple things first, are you in park, with parking brake set?

If you have an indicator light saying "severe slope", you have a feature mine does not have, however there is a "level sensor" that is part of the controls. It is usually in the HWH control box, which should be near the pump. It will have a clear, plexiglass cover on it. Your HWH manual should give you information on how to reset that level indicator device. If you do not have the manual, in the Newmar forum, go to the "QUICK FIXES AND EASY MODS" post. There is a discussion on resetting the level sensor in that.
Thanks, i will give that a look. We are heading home today and won't need the slides, so I will check that when i am home with more time. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
If you don't find a solution, you indicated you were on a reasonably level site. If so, don't worry about not having the jacks down. You will have some rocking about as people walk around, but it's not enough of a problem to let it ruin your weekend.
(We did not have jacks on our first Pace Arrow, so it's not so big a thing if the ones we have now do not work for a weekend or even a trip. We have had troubles, and we don't let not having them spoil what we are doing.)
I have four slides which make for great space for the six of us, but you can't run them out without being jacked. So the jacks being down is important. We made it through the night with one grandkid in bed with us and one on the floor. We are pulling up stakes today for home. I will get it checked out there. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sounds like your having too much fun. Could it be as simple as a low battery condition? Bad connections ? Blown fuse from the governor failure ? Hook to shore power for an hour then try again. My first experiance with a MH leveler, helping a friend , turned out to be a bad battery.
Battery seems fine. I am on shore power with both house and engin batteries cranking. We made in through the night a bit cramped but all survived. One thing i quickly learned in the few months I have owned this thing is the more gear you have, the more goes wrong. 50 years ago as an Eagle Scout, I was happy with a sleeping bag and a flashlight. Never had a problem with either.
Thanks for the post.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #8

If you were in the same spot for 3 nights why did you need to put the jacks down on the last night, weren't they already down? I hope you're not bringing them up each day.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I suggest calling HWH for tech assistance. I had a problem in 2009 with a jack not extending. Tech rep gave me advice for resolving...did not work. Called back and the tech stayed on the phone with me as I was under the coach for about 1/2 hour as we checked things out...problem resolved. Give them a try.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

Mteerjim,

It is usually helpful to include coach info ie model and yr and model of the system under discussion.

I second the suggestion about calling HWH, they are very helpful, careful about adjusting the leveling system behind the plastic cover it is very sensitive and can be easily destroyed.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #11

I'm confused by your comment that you can't put the slides out without the jacks down. I do that routinely on my DSDP. Of course, I'm also level before I extend the slides. But many times I'm level without deploying the jacks.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob Cook is correct should be no problem opening slide on a level pad.
As someone has said HWH information in Quick Tips & Mods.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
If you were in the same spot for 3 nights why did you need to put the jacks down on the last night, weren't they already down? I hope you're not bringing them up each day.
Yes, we did. I did not tow a car, so we used the RV as a cab to get to the attractions around Williamsburg VA.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
I'm confused by your comment that you can't put the slides out without the jacks down. I do that routinely on my DSDP. Of course, I'm also level before I extend the slides. But many times I'm level without deploying the jacks.
I assumed that we would get a lot of sway number one and number two we might stress the housing. Not true??? This is only my third time out as the new owner and I am learning the hard way.

Tags
hwh