Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

HWH jacks

Three of the four HWH jacks on my 2006 Dutch Star do not always retract or "store" in a reasonable amount of time. I am out with a 2X6 most of the time prying them up the final few inches quite often so we can get on our way without the jacks alarm going off. They do go up fully but the springs don't seem to always get them there completely. I would expect the springs that store the jacks to still be pretty tight once the jacks are up but I can wiggle the bottom bases easily when the jacks are up. Does anyone know if the springs ever lose there ability to store the jacks? If so, does anyone know how difficult they are to replace? I spoke with someone at HWH and he didn't think the springs are my problem but my springs are so loose when fully retracted, I think he may be wrong. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experienced the same problem.
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Barry,

It is possible that the springs have to be replaced, however I would try something else first.

Drop all four jacks down and then crawl underneath with silicone spray and a clean rag. Spray the silicone on the shank and then wipe it off right away and then do the same thing to the other side. Then go retract those two. Do the same thing on the other two and then retract them. After they are all up send them down and then hit the store button. They should all retract now. If not repeatrthe above procedure.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

I had the same problem on a 2012 Newmar Ventana. I had been in a campground where the sites were less than level. I got an error message saying that the ground wasn't level enough. I think a couple of the rams got bent when trying to extend so they had to be replaced. Hope your situation is as simple to fix as spraying silicone on the rams and wiping them down. Will be interested in your outcome.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had HWH's on our last two Dutch Stars, have never had a problem getting them to store, have never lubed the shafts and have never replaced the springs either, and, as you can see in my sig it's a 2002 that we ordered new
They can take up to 6 min to fully store and still be within specs. Are you waiting for the system to shut off by itself? I turn the key to Accessory, hit the "Store" button and walk around the rig checking stuff out. Usually by then the jacks are fully retracted and the system has shut off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I tried the silicon spray. It did work but I had to do it every other or third retraction. Switched to transmission fluid and it works like a charm. Only treat the rams a couple of times per year.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have lubed my jacks as Tom does with good results.
The springs can be replace with newer version which have tapped ends.
You could also have a solenoid that the oil passes through into tank that needs replacement or cleaning.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

I forgot to mention I was once advised to use white lithium grease on the shafts and I have used it. I wipe the shaft clean, put on a very small amount of white lithium grease and spread around with my hand. The jacks work great for a short while and then I am back to the same old', same old'. Should a be able to flop the base around with one hand laying on my back reaching to the jack when they are fully retracted? Seems whimpy to me. I would expect the springs to be more tight than that.
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The silicone spray works allot better but do wipe the piston after applying will leave a slick surface on piston.
If your plates flop around maybe its time for newer better springs, you can order from HWH.
Here is more info on jacks and how to replace springs all found in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Commercial Member

if the foot is loose when the jack is retracted, or the jack is very slow to retract, replace the springs. thats the common fix. even if you eventually have to replace the cylinder, its best to replace the springs also.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Barryengleman,
There could be a problem with the springs. A 2006 coach should already have tapered end springs. If you look at the springs and the end of the spring that connects to the hook end of the spring is tapered, you have the latest and greatest spring.

Now for the bad news. Your vintage coach may have jacks where the large seal in the jack collapses in on the piston. If the spraying, posted earlier, does not permanently fix the problem, then the collapsing seal is most likely the problem. The only remedy is to replace or rebuild the jack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They all do not retract fully but it happened one at a time over the last 2 years. Went through opening the relief valves and various lubes to no avail and replaced springs with newer stronger springs and still the jacks do not retract once the couch lowers. I carried a 10 ft 2x4 and a 2 ft 4x4 as a fulcrum to help push the feet up fully. They are getting more and more difficult to push up so my next move will be to replace them.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

From what I was told by the thech at HWH, use WD 40 on your levelers it will not attract dirt as will oil based products.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryengleman View Post
Three of the four HWH jacks on my 2006 Dutch Star do not always retract or "store" in a reasonable amount of time. I am out with a 2X6 most of the time prying them up the final few inches quite often so we can get on our way without the jacks alarm going off. They do go up fully but the springs don't seem to always get them there completely. I would expect the springs that store the jacks to still be pretty tight once the jacks are up but I can wiggle the bottom bases easily when the jacks are up. Does anyone know if the springs ever lose there ability to store the jacks? If so, does anyone know how difficult they are to replace? I spoke with someone at HWH and he didn't think the springs are my problem but my springs are so loose when fully retracted, I think he may be wrong. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experienced the same problem.
Of course I have. I try to keep my cylinders clean and wipe them down good before the start of a trip. Before I put rebuilt cylinders on I would replace the springs. The springs are relatively cheap. There are quite a few methods to replace the springs that you can search for here but the one I found that suit me was extending the jacks and putting in wood spacers. Retract the jacks and remove the springs. Install in reverse order. I like this method because it takes less muscle power. Some guys do it with crowbars. 30 years ago I could have done it that way but no more. You can search for methods or if you like PM me for any specifics.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #14

"I Feel Your Pain"

Had te same deal on my '99. I put up with it for a couple of years. wriggling my old fat bod underneath the coach, wiping down the cylinders, thought I was going to have to get a tow truck to get out.

I finally went to Moscow, IA and had them check them. The decided that ALL FOUR needed replacing. They did have rebuilt ones in stock.

They put them on. NOW---they are up in 34 seconds. My DW is truly a happy camper once again. Replaced all four with rebuilts for less than one new one.

YEE HAW
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote