Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HWH Jacks Fixed

Pulled into the Tampa RV Super Show. Went to deploy the jacks and no joy. Key in ACC and HWH panel shows the system is on. When I pushed any jack button the system would make a noise reminding me of some who is trying to bench press too much weight. Then all the HWH lights would go off, at the driver's control panel. The lights on the HWH circuit board remained on.

I know the drill. Document all the lights (off, red or yellow) and call HWH. They called me back the same day! The tech told me as someone pressed the jack button, take a voltage reading between a point on the circuit board and the circuit board ground point. Then take a reading between the same circuit board point and chassis ground. The first reading was 6 VDC. The second reading was 11 VDC. The tech said I had a bad ground. I was to run a new ground wire from the negative side of the pump to chassis ground.

I'm not sure how the pros do this, but I was not able to access the negative side of the pump. Newmar put the HWH system on before the coach is mounted to the chassis. Obviously, they never expect anyone of shade tree skill to attempt to get at the pump connections. So, I decide to run a new ground wire direct from the circuit board to the chassis. I remove the seal and front plastic window. Next, I removed the screw holding one end of the circuit board ground wire. Bad decision. I hear tinkle, tinkle, tinkle! There is a nut on the back of this screw that has now fallen to the bottom of the housing for the HWH circuit board. To make a long story short, I had to take out the entire metal housing that contains the circuit board (no small trick). The hardest part was getting the 5 plugs unplugged. Now that the housing was out of the coach I could repair my mistake and use the other end of the wire to make my connection. Put it all back together, then put the assembly back into the coach. Ran the new ground wire to chassis ground.

The jack worked flawlessly. Better than new.

All the above took about 1 day. What a way to start the Tampa RV Show.

Lastly, the level adjustment needed to be re adjusted.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

Hey Gary

That is a bit of a Squeeeze to get at that control Box!!!!!

Rick
Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rick,
You are correct. After I got done, I felt like I had been water skiing all day. It is the same muscle ache, just not as much fun as water skiing.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Gary,thanks for the write up. Those guys at HWH are great. I had a problem with a jack that would not deploy and 1 that would not retract each time. Randy, the tech, gave me some trouble shooting instructions which I went thru with no joy, called back got more instructions again no joy...called back and Randy stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour walking me thru detailed disassembly and meter checks.
Resolution was a not fully seated connector to the 12 pin part of the circuit board.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
This is an update. It has been mentioned to me that a ground wire coming from the circuit board may not be the best way to make the ground connection. HWH did tell me to make this connection via the ground connection on the pump. Sooooooo, I get my skinny body and skinny arms under the right front of the coach with all the appropriate tools (I thought). Once under the coach I took a VDC reading off the hot lead. Sure enough, the lead is hot all the time! Awe shucks, I said. This reminds me of starter motor connections and why I learned a long time ago to disconnect the batteries before working on 12 VDC. Sooooooo, I crawl out from under the coach and hit the coach disconnect and the chassis disconnect switches. Back under the coach I go. I take another reading and see no VDC. There are 4 connections on the HWH pump. Two are obviously hot leads. The other two are ambiguous (remember electricity is color blind). Both wires read a direct connection to chassis ground. Sooooo, how could I go wrong? I had taken every wrench with me. However, the one I needed was not in the handful I brought with me. Awe shucks I said again. Soooo, I crawl out from under the coach and find the missing wrench. Then back under the coach again. I connect the new ground wire to the pump connection. Crawl out from under the coach. Turn everything on and try the jacks. No joy. Awe shucks and golly darn I said. The new ground wire seemed to be a dead short! Sooooo, I crawl back under the coach, forgetting to turn off all the power. Awe shucks, golly darn and gee whiz I said. I did remember before I did anything and crawled out from under the coach and turned off all coach and chassis power. Back under the coach again and connected the new ground wire to the other pump lead. Crawled out from under the coach, turned everything on and tried the jacks. All worked correctly. Yippee I said. Next I cut my original new ground wire coming from the HWH mother board. Tried the jacks again and all worked correctly! There is a RV God, I said.
What a way to spend a Sunday. I felt so good I had a Milky Way candy bar!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You sound like me, always forgetting something must be age or something.
Can I ask why the pump mounted on chassis frame didn't have sufficient grounding or was it the curcuit board that need a better ground?
Thanks for info will check my pump when it warms up during spring checkup.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I do not know why HWH said to make the new ground via the pump. When I checked all the HWH grounds, with a meter, they are all good. They did not want me to use the circuit board as a channel for the ground because of the high AMP components the HWH system includes. If the ground was ever called into use, the circuit board would be fried.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for an excellent write up. I started to have flash backs of about every RV project that involved the front area. I think I need a Milky Way now.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi KayLarGo, I'm so excited to see a gasser posting on Newmar forum.

How's the W-24 running no brake problems right, more beefier system on them.
Its good to hear from you,safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
007 -- Good to hear from you too. We have moved to Buckeye AZ in a new house so haven't been on here for awhile. The MH sits in storage crying because she wants to go. No brake issues on the W-24 so far. We are at 27,000 miles now and runs like a charm. All our problems have been very minor in nature and some of my own making. Hope spring comes soon for you and hope to see you on the trail this summer. I guess I need to update the profile.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I wish HWH would redesign is the front clear window on the control panel as far as removing or putting it back in. That thing is a pain i the butt. I know there's not much room to work under the hood but by just turning that control box to face you would be a heck of an improvement.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I do not know why HWH said to make the new ground via the pump.
gary and 007 - It seems that with ANY HWH "issue" Newmar will first thing (before you even finish describing the "issue") install a #4 wire directly from the motor housing to the chassis. Then they'll let the customer finish.....