RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

HWH Jacks not working

When I stored the jacks yesterday, I didn't see that a heavy wood branch was on the right read pad. The jack didn't retract all the way. So I looked underneath, saw the problem and removed the branch. The jack still did not retract further. The warning light on the control panel for that jack was still on. I hit store and it only clicked. I hit extend and the same. If I put a jack under the jack the light goes out, but comes back on when the jack is removed. I checked for fuses and couldn't locate one. So I can neither extend or retract any of the system. REALLY need help on this as we are try to prepare to head south for the winter. Thanks, Ike
Ikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

You can contact Paul (AZPETE) at pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped other on this forum and I am sure he can help you.

I shamelessly copied this from another post.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Do you know your HWH leveling system series number ?

Do you have the users manual with trouble shooting guide ?

When you were lifting on the extended jack did you have the solenoid manually opened ?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #4

Since the jacks on a HWH system are retracted with springs, I would think that the branch didn't do any damage to the jack. As Skip, suggested, look in the manual at the troubleshooting section.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #5

It would help us help you if you say which HWH system you have.

You should be able to retract the jack manually in most cases. There are four styles of HWH solenoid valve that I know of. One cannot be released manually, but I think it's a pretty old style.

The other three have a 1/4" nut, a T-handle, or a lever to release the solenoid. Your owner's manual will show you which valve is which so you know which solenoid valve to release. The hydraulic fluid reservoir for the HWH system's vent plug (the one you remove to check or add fluid) might have a handy 1/4" nut driver built in if you need one, but you can use a 1/4" wrench or a socket on a finger ratchet (fastest) or a ratchet handle (still faster than a wrench). The 1/4" nut and T-handle get turned counter-clockwise until the jack starts to retract, but not too many turns (your owner's manual should say how many). The lever gets pushed so it winds up at right angles to the axis of the solenoid valve. In any event, after manually retracting a jack, I have closed the valve afterward. However, thermal expansion could cause a jack to extend far enough to activate the "jacks down" alarm in transit. In that case, you'd have to stop and repeat the procedure to re-stow the jack. This has not happened to me after three or four manual retractions, but you should be aware that it's possible with the valve closed-.

If you have a system with the old non-releasable valves, you will have to loosen a hyrdraulic hose to manually retract a jack. Hydraulic fluid will come out and make a mess you should be prepared to deal with so that it doesn't soak into the ground or screw up the pavement.

HTH...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Got it Fixed?

Thanks everyone. The problem started when I retracted the jacks and a branch was stuck above the pad and jammed against the jack body. I didn't realize what had happened and left the system on in Store mode for a long time. It appears that the system was overloaded and a solderless connection in the 10 gauge wire to the pump melted. I replaced cut off the bad portion of the wire and spliced it together. System is working fine now. E special thanks for Paul for helping me out with manuals and advice.
Ikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester View Post
Thanks everyone. The problem started when I retracted the jacks and a branch was stuck above the pad and jammed against the jack body. I didn't realize what had happened and left the system on in Store mode for a long time. It appears that the system was overloaded and a solderless connection in the 10 gauge wire to the pump melted. I replaced cut off the bad portion of the wire and spliced it together. System is working fine now. E special thanks for Paul for helping me out with manuals and advice.
Glad you got it fixed. Paul warned me not to leave my system in store more than 5 mins or you risk burning out the solenoid windings over time. I think the system will let them stay active for 25-30 mins.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks