Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
mahdi.....get a helper to operate the jacks while you install the pads. I took some Dawn soap on my finger and rubbed it around the edge of the SnapPad opening. I had someone lower the jacks until the pads just fit under them. I centered the two fronts and then lowered the jacks the rest of the way, until the coach started to lift.

I did the same for the rears. They can be a little deceptive when looking at them, but make sure the jack is seated all the way around, by looking at the edge of the pad where you placed the soap. If you have an issue with a portion not seating, they recommend placing a mall block of wood under the section that is not seating properly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dutchstar411......If you get a chance, I would spray those springs with some type of silicone or WD40 to protect them. I know of one coach where they rusted like that and the loop on the end of the springs, that holds the foot, snapped off. It happened to several springs. Those spring ends are fairly thin and the rust can eat through them quickly.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #17

For the pad users out there, what are the pros and cons of adding pads beyond complying with campgrounds that require a pad, which has been limited in frequency for us.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
For the pad users out there, what are the pros and cons of adding pads beyond complying with campgrounds that require a pad, which has been limited in frequency for us.

I don't have these pads...yet...but would like to add a comment on using the pads.

I have a leaking HWH jack cylinder and to replace it you have to remove the "foot" from the cylinder. Having a really stuck-on pad on that foot would seem to make that job quite difficult unless there is an easy way to get them off. And, if you do remove them will they be able to be re-attached without losing their grip strength?

Also, anybody know the foot pad dimensions for a 2020 New Aire 4543? Mine is 100 miles away and we won't see it again for a while.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #19

Our HiWay 8 model snappads increases pad size from 8” diameter to ~10” diameter. Pretty large increase in sq in on the ground. Also the rubber reduces slippage on wet or slightly uneven surfaces.
On our HWH jacks (Series 310) all you have to do is expand the spring to get the pad off (ie use the paint stick or nail method). No connection from the pad to be jack, just spring pressure.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Having to remove a metal jack pad, is literally a one in a million problem. So concerns of dealing with the SnapPad removal is probably something most will never have to do.

I just don't see a downside to putting them on.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Dutchstar411......If you get a chance, I would spray those springs with some type of silicone or WD40 to protect them. I know of one coach where they rusted like that and the loop on the end of the springs, that holds the foot, snapped off. It happened to several springs. Those spring ends are fairly thin and the rust can eat through them quickly.
Totally agree. I did one of the backs with WD40 but never finished the others. Will finish when I'm not on someone else's pad.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Great advice. Thank you. I shall plan to silicone spray for the springs. And will use dish soap on the pad lips when installing. Any other advice would be helpful. Good point about needing to remove pod by releasing the springs. That would have to be done by a much younger person.

Mahdi
2019 Dutch Star 4018
2020 Tahoe
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I don't have these pads...yet...but would like to add a comment on using the pads.

I have a leaking HWH jack cylinder and to replace it you have to remove the "foot" from the cylinder. Having a really stuck-on pad on that foot would seem to make that job quite difficult unless there is an easy way to get them off. And, if you do remove them will they be able to be re-attached without losing their grip strength?

Also, anybody know the foot pad dimensions for a 2020 New Aire 4543? Mine is 100 miles away and we won't see it again for a while.
For a New Aire you need two 8's and two 10"s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install was easy using dish soap and a helper. I built a pad of 2x4's with a long stick attached to assist in moving the snap pad in place without sticking my head under the coach. The 2x4's also helped in raising up the pad so the jack did not have to travel down so far.

The only issue I had was to trim the front mudflats a bit where the snap pad hit them on the way down
Fordie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #24

Thanks now I have to spend more money ...Good thread thanks everyone..
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #25

Dutchstardon
Is there an issue regarding the extra weight of the snap pad when the return springs begin to loose their strength? Will I have to start "prying" or having to help the leveling jack back up because the springs are getting weaker with age?
Thanks
"You don't know what you don't know until you know that you don't know"
Koalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The jacks have some pretty hefty springs....I don't foresee any issues.

Tags
hwh