Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

HWH leveling and air bags won't inflate - please help

Good morning! Taking a chance here that someone out there might be able to help me. I am stuck at a CG in South Dakota trying to make my way home to Indiana. I was deploying my jacks with auto level and it did not seem to complete the cycle. The rear jacks came down, then the front right, but the left front was still not coming down and the motor was running continuously and I could see there was a problem because the frame of my coach was slightly twisted. So I pressed the cancel button and turned the key off. But my attempts to raise the jacks failed, so I opened the solenoids manually and raised the jacks that way. But now my jack leveling system won't respond anymore. I can't lower them again, the blue light flashes but nothing happens. The worst part is when I start my engine the system airs up but my suspension air bags won't fill up because there is some kind of interference between the leveling system. I can't move if I can't inflate my air bags and get to ride height. Can anyone tell me how to override the HWH system and get my suspension air bags to inflate?
My coach is a 2013 Newmar mountain aire diesel pusher (Freightliner chassis). I just left the FMCA event in Gillette, WY and while I was there a young man from HWH named John (he is the Newmar rep for HWH) had worked on my manifold and changed 2 o-rings to fix a small leak. We verified that the jacks were working fine after his work, but could it be a coincidence?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Call Paul with HWH at 602-549-3638
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Call Paul with HWH at 602-549-3638
FYI - spoke with Paul. He got me squared away so I'm good to go. Up on air again. Always something new to learn everyday.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #4

I just saw your post, and was going to say that I've gone through the exact same problem.
There is a "shuttle valve" under the front suspension, that you have to climb underneath and manually depress the button for it to start filling up the air bags.
I ended up having Paul send me a new HWH control module, and installed it.
Solved the problem, and pretty easy "plug and play" install.
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Aire View Post
I just saw your post, and was going to say that I've gone through the exact same problem.
There is a "shuttle valve" under the front suspension, that you have to climb underneath and manually depress the button for it to start filling up the air bags.
I ended up having Paul send me a new HWH control module, and installed it.
Solved the problem, and pretty easy "plug and play" install.
Thanks. I had found the dump valve that you mentioned and closed it manually. Solved the problem.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reyburn View Post
Thanks. I had found the dump valve that you mentioned and closed it manually. Solved the problem.
Glad to hear it Dave

Paul is a life saver isn't he!!!
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If someone could, it would be nice to see a close and distant photo of the button, so others could see where it's at in relationship to the front end.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If someone could, it would be nice to see a close and distant photo of the button, so others could see where it's at in relationship to the front end.
I’m curious about what models and years have this button?

Sounds like something I need to know if my ‘01 DSDP has it.
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like this was resolved but we have been having this same problem for the last 8 months on a 21 New Aire. It's currently at Newmar for a few fixes and they think it's a sticky shuttle valve.

On our coach If you autoleveled then stored the jacks in a relatively short period of time (<1 day) everything worked as it should. But if we stayed on autolevel for a day or more after auto storing the jacks the coach would never air up.

We did eventually find out we would get it to air up by raising the front jacks in manual mode then lowering. There was no way we could get under the coach to look at was going on due to clearance issues.
bsla11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your HWH pump should have two large solenoids. The one on the left side is the master and it controls all power to the air dump valve and the individual solenoids. The most common problem is burned or corroded contacts inside the solenoid. Next time it fails to operate, check the voltage to ground on both of the large terminals. It should be the same and if not it's not passing power to the pump relay or the rest of the system.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Your HWH pump should have two large solenoids. The one on the left side is the master and it controls all power to the air dump valve and the individual solenoids. The most common problem is burned or corroded contacts inside the solenoid. Next time it fails to operate, check the voltage to ground on both of the large terminals. It should be the same and if not it's not passing power to the pump relay or the rest of the system.
Lt. Dan! Your assessment of the problem was spot on! My master relay (solenoid) had gone bad. I ordered a new one and also the intermittent duty pump relay since I figured they should both be changed out together. They arrived 2 days later from HWH, I installed them yesterday and my leveling jacks are working like new again. Thank you so much for helping me understand the jack situation. I also spent considerable time on the HWH web site learning all the details about my leveling jacks system and downloaded numerous elec. and hydraulic diagrams. I feel like I learned a lot and am better prepared to handle any further situation with the HWH equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_185019.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	336827  
Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's a pic of the shuttle valve in question. The HWH leveler sends a 12v signal to either dump the air in auto level mode, or to close it when retracting jacks so the air tanks will refill the suspension air bags. In my case the master relay failed in the middle of trying to auto level and left things in a bad state. You can manually force the shuttle valve to dump or close by pressing one of the red buttons. The left button causes the air bags to dump the air, the right button causes the air bags to fill again. On my MADP this is mounted to a vertical plate located directly behind the generator. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_102828.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	336830  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reyburn View Post
Here's a pic of the shuttle valve in question. The HWH leveler sends a 12v signal to either dump the air in auto level mode, or to close it when retracting jacks so the air tanks will refill the suspension air bags. In my case the master relay failed in the middle of trying to auto level and left things in a bad state. You can manually force the shuttle valve to dump or close by pressing one of the red buttons. The left button causes the air bags to dump the air, the right button causes the air bags to fill again. On my MADP this is mounted to a vertical plate located directly behind the generator. Hope this helps.
Great picture...thanks.

Good info from Lt Dan too!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, hwh, leveling