Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
HWH leveling system issues?????

I have been having some issues with my HWH 625 leveling system. Hopefully someone here will have a clue where to start.

About a month ago I went to level the coach, hit the hyd button to turn on, then pressed it again to activate auto. Air dumped and after the normal delay the jacks started down. The problem is the right side (front and back) extended fully and the left side did not go down, entire right side of the coach was off the ground. When the system shut down I started the sequence again, except to retract to get ready to travel. All worked fine. I the restarted the system and it leveled as it should without issue.

Move ahead a week, and I leveled the coach via auto and it was way off level. I read the manual and found how to calibrate, I did that and it worked well, leveled well and no issues at all.

Move ahead to two weeks ago, I initiated leveling and all went well until the coach was level, but instead of the system turning itself off the pump (I think) went into a high pitched sound like it was moving the jacks, but nothing was moving (coach was level). Except it was not a normal pump sound. Anyway we sat there for a week and when we got ready to go the system worked as it should and we moved 500 miles.

Move ahead one more week, once we moved the 500 miles we set up again, no issues at all. Coach leveled, system worked as it should. we set there for a week and then left. Once again all retracted fine with no issues at all.

Move ahead to today, after driving home for two long days I backed into the driveway and went to level and set up so that we could unlad and clean. I hit the hyd button to turn the system on, pushed it again and the air dumped, then after it's normal delay there was the same high pitched pump noise mentioned above, but this time it was at the begining of the sequece and only lasted for about 2 seconds. Then that stopped, the system clicked as though it had leveled and then turned itself off.

I tried to level again and pushed the hyd button once, the red light came one, I pushed it the second time and the red light flashed (like it is supposed to) then after the normal delay they system shut itself off as though it had leveled, but nothing happened. I turned it back on and tried leveling in manual mode and could not get any jacks to extend, no noise, no nothing. I then aired the system back up like we would be leaving and tried again. It will dump air, go into its wait mode, then shut down like it was finished in its leveling sequece.

Sorry this is so long, but does anyone have any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir tank which on the bell vent the shaft will have one or two lines to indicate the fluid is at correct level with all jacks retracted.
On the solenoids there are white wires that go some place common on a bolt shaft on your chassis frame or nut and bolt to chassis, make sure all wires are terminated to a clean connection on chassis frame.
Lastly is your chassis batteries all clean connections and most important the battery cable to the chassis is a clean connection.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
KIX

Sounds like low fluid level to me too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #4

Fluid is fine, just topped off before this last trip. Will check wiring this morning. My thouhgt is that something shook lose on the return leg home, but I don't really know. How is HWH tech support over the phone?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very good and they will walk you through the problem, at least that is what I and others have found.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

it is either a control box or more likely pressure switches on the jacks.
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

I checked agai this am and fluid is fine. I pulled the plexiglass window from the control box and checked all the fuses, all good there. Tired the system again and again it came on with the first button push (solid red light), the second button push resulted in the red flashing light, the delay time passed and the the system turned itself off. Guess I will be calling HWH. Thanks to all.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

I would sure like to know what HWH tells you. And what the final outcome is. I'll be replacing one set of springs on mine today.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

I will certainly post the outcome, it may be a couple days befoe I can get home from work in time to call them.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

Well, I came home from work early today so that I could call HWH before they closed while I was with the coach. I did talk with a lady at HWH, problem is, HWH Tech support is only taking caller information at this time. She said they would call me back. I asked if it would be today as i had left work early to be able to talk to them and she stated she had no idea what their callback time was, but that she suspected it would not be today. :-( Maybe we will be able to connect with each other while I am actually home. It is hard to deal with a tech support that works the same hours I do....I will keep all posted of the problem if I get a chance to talk to them.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
When you talk to HWH you will need to know the condition of the lights on the control board. Your user manual should have a section that describes the lights. Best memory the colors are red, yellow and off. There are several groups of lights located in different parts of the control board. The user manual should tell you what the problem is based on the condition of the lights. You may need an assistant to push the control panel buttons as you observe the lights.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #12

Another day goes by without a call back from HWH. Glad I am not stuck in a campground away from home and can't move.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
While you are patently waiting for thier call go out and check over the "level sensor" and its wire connections if there is any, if you find connections take them apart and inspect them and if you have any good electrical spray give it a shot and see if this changes anything. The control board gets its "level signal" from this pod to instruct it on where to start the leveling process after the timed air dump. My pod is over the front passanger steer tire mounted to the frame. Just a idea while you are waiting....
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #14

Already done all that. My level sensor is a circuit board inside the control box. everything I can see or check appears to be ok. There are some lights that come one inside the control box as it moves through the process, but I don't know if they are normal lights or not normal lights. I dounloaded the trouble shooting manual but I cannot find half of the wires/fuses it says to check.

Tags
hwh, leveling