Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

HWH Slide Issue

Just got an estimate for our HWH slide that had one side stuck closed. Labor alone will be almost $4,000 and the part is $400 (and two months out from the factory). Our fall trips just got cancelled.... I will let everyone know when I get a breakdown of the exact cause.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are near Elkhart IN call chuck at Stewart Services he his the expert on HWH has al the parts in stock and can give advice on the phone. Good Luck
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:12 AM   #3

Was that estimate from Newmar or HWH?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Was that estimate from Newmar or HWH?
The HWH service that Newmar sent me to in Southern California.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #5

Is the coach usable with that one slide in? If so, I'd keep the trips. For overnight stops, I usually only put one of the big slides out. Works fine.. Just a little less space.
GWBGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDP Jeff View Post

Curious as to whom they are recommending?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDP Jeff View Post
If your fall trip plans took you near Iowa, I'd go to HWH and get the work done.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #8

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for keeping us updated on the cause and how the repair goes
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #9

Labor is expensive.. parts cheap.. ask your local vehicle repair place you trust.. see if they recommend anyone.. try it yourself.. lots of vids on you tube.. but you are saving bloody knuckles.. have you investigated why it will not extend..? Good luck let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you..
Old 09-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #10

Definitely post your symptoms. Do you have more than one hydraulic slide but only one is stuck? Do your hydraulic jacks work but the slide doesnít? $400 part and $4k labor sounds like hydraulics, bleeding, etc.. Sounds like a lot for a 2019. Likely a decent mobile tech could take care of that if you can source the part. Also, post the estimate breakdown. Maybe local folks can recommend an alternative shop that can get you on the road.

Iíve had to do several DIY HWH hydraulic/electrical repairs myself that Iím sure a local mobile tech could do if you are not comfortable attempting yourself.

In two cases I had Tiffin and HWH overnight the parts to me directly. In a pinch cylinders are rebuildable at a local hydraulics shop if that is the problem.

Good luck.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Curious as to whom they are recommending?
Ricks RV in El Cajon is the HWH service center for SO Cal.
DSDP Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaRVGazer View Post
Definitely post your symptoms. Do you have more than one hydraulic slide but only one is stuck? Do your hydraulic jacks work but the slide doesnít? $400 part and $4k labor sounds like hydraulics, bleeding, etc.. Sounds like a lot for a 2019. Likely a decent mobile tech could take care of that if you can source the part. Also, post the estimate breakdown. Maybe local folks can recommend an alternative shop that can get you on the road.

Iíve had to do several DIY HWH hydraulic/electrical repairs myself that Iím sure a local mobile tech could do if you are not comfortable attempting yourself.

In two cases I had Tiffin and HWH overnight the parts to me directly. In a pinch cylinders are rebuildable at a local hydraulics shop if that is the problem.

Good luck.

Paul
All the jacks work fine. I was lucky to catch it before I took out my mirror. Shop said it was a Ram that failed. They didnít indicate that it was rebuildable. Expecting a detailed analysis this week. We did do a couple ďskinnyĒ trips with it.
DSDP Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

When my synchronizing cylinder failed on the living room slide I took it to the hydraulic shop that services our heavy equipment. Basically they told me it was a throwaway b/c they were relatively inexpensive and easily available but he could definitely rebuild it with better seals. I spoke to Tiffin and they felt it shouldn't have failed so soon (18 months) so they sent one from inventory.

Fast forward to now, parts are definitely harder to get. Maybe you can talk Newmar into sending one from inventory. If not, rebuild may be a viable option.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, slide