Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH solenoid o'ring size for 310 or 325

I have a 01 DSDP. Solenoid valve is leaking right where it screws into the valve block and the rear jack is leaking down. Yes I have a manual and it is pretty clear where it is leaking. Need to replace the solenoid o'ring that seals the solenoid to the valve body.

Does any body here know what size the o'rings for the HWH 310 solenoids use? 310's and 325's use the same kit. Looks like there are 3? 2 external and one internal? R7430 Kit is way over priced at $25 incl ship for 8 o'rings. Normally pay 5 cents for each o'ring if I know the size. For some reason the sizes are being withheld and HWH does not want to give them up.

Some one out there must have already has to replace them and knows the sizes.

thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Old threads on this subject talked about tKing the 0 rings to the hardware and matching them up.
Some ordered by the bag from Amazon.
The material the 0 rings are made of make a difference for some replacing them.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Auto parts stores usually have many sizes that you could remove your old ones without damaging and take them to the store for a match.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don’t know the correct size but this might be a solution for you if you have a harbor freight tool store close by.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf %2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=O+ring

Eight dollars will buy you a 380 piece assortment and either metric or SAE sizes. Don’t forget your 20% off coupon and freebie with any purchase
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 3 boxs of assorted orings that occasionally I get lucky and can get a fit out of. there are 475 different sizes of orings. Most kits have only 15 or so of these. They are made in a dozen different materials. the type of oring I need is a buna-n. Then there are the metric sizes...... I was just hoping that some one knew what size they were. I've searched to forums with no success.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I dropped him an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never heard from azpete so....

Hydraulic jacks and it is still dropping in the drivers rear due to leaky valve. Decided to pull valve and see what kind of o-rings. Found scratches on the valve that makes me suspect it was removed before. Noticed as I was removing it that the t-valve was loose which may have caused the leak down problem. Tvalve was not leaking, oring at threaded solenoid entrance was leaking due to earlier damage. Pulled valve and found 2 square cut orings around the base that were both damaged. Found 2 square cut orings on the tip with a regular oring between them. One of the square cut rings on the tip was damaged. Suspect the round oring on the tip is not original. New oring kit is $25. So decided to try to fit new ones from my AC kit. Used petroleum jelly as a prelube for the orings.
Original square cut dimensions for base orings:
Mounted overall =.795 actual…. all measurements in inchs
Side to side thickness: .045
Outside to inside thickness: .05
ID: .710
OD: .800 (estimated without damage)
I replaced the base orings with green HNBR AC orings, size: A015
which measure: 9/16 x 11/16 x 1/16 inches .063 thick. I found that the green AC orings were slightly thinner than the BUNA orings but had higher ratings.
Mounted overall, new: .815 on base

Tip round oring: 015 BUNA (black) mounted overall .815
I didn’t bother measuring the flat orings on the tip and I didn’t replace them. I left them in place and installed a new round oring. I used a A015 green AC . new measurement same as old one .815 inches. Guessing that the valve was leaking so some just added the BUNA oring to slow or stop it. I think it would be good to pull the 2 flat ones and just have 2 round ones should I choose rebuild the rest of the solenoids. There may be more orings inside the solenoid but I didn’t bother to open it and replace them. Testing so far: no leaks from around solenoid and no jack drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0337.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	238650   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0338.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	238651  

Old 03-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #9

I sent all four solenoids in to HWH for rebuild - got them back in a couple weeks and the cost was less than one new solenoid would be. Call their CS if you want to send yours back.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
72 hours, no leak and leak down on the jack piston. so, looks like the round o'rings will work just as well as the $27 square cut kit. I would use the green AC o'rings as they will handle more chemicals at a higher temp. Since I took them out of my AC kit, estimate cost at about .15 cents for the 3 of them.... The thing about the regular buna o'rings is that they don't handle as wide of chemical range.....

Green HNBR AC o'rings, size: A015 are the correct o'rings to do the job...
Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Commercial Member

lonfu, sorry if i didnt reply. ive had the flu for over a week and a half, and cant seem to shake it.
i had to work the fmca rally in perry ga. the same time. never again.
what you did will work just fine. ive use the green orings when i didnt have the ones from hwh. leaving the square ones in place is the right thing to do. they are just spacers. they dont seal anything. great to see someone with ingenuity,
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
lonfu, sorry if i didnt reply. ive had the flu for over a week and a half, and cant seem to shake it.
i had to work the fmca rally in perry ga. the same time. never again.
what you did will work just fine. ive use the green orings when i didnt have the ones from hwh. leaving the square ones in place is the right thing to do. they are just spacers. they dont seal anything. great to see someone with ingenuity,
paul maddox
Sorry to hear about your flu bug. I had it and it lasted through Nov. and Dec., then came down again just last week. whew.... gotta be old age... "work".... I've heard of that stuff before but forgotten what it is...

thanks for getting back to me. I was pretty sure I had it right. what do you think about using a couple of o'rings on the tip if the square cut ones are toasted? This was the only thing I was wondering about.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
7 days, no leakdown and no leaks....
Old 03-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #14
Commercial Member

yeah, that should work
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, solenoid