Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
HWH Steps - go part way out then stop

We have had intermittent issues with our HWH steps where they go out partially (1/3 of the way) then stop. all sensors have been checked, wire harness and one cylinder have been replaced and it has been looked at by two shops and Newmar's service center.. after leaving Newmar, it appeared they were fixed.. then after driving home (~1200 miles) they are doing the same thing again... anyone ever face this issue and figure out how to get it resolved?
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS2000 View Post
We have had intermittent issues with our HWH steps where they go out partially (1/3 of the way) then stop. all sensors have been checked, wire harness and one cylinder have been replaced and it has been looked at by two shops and Newmar's service center.. after leaving Newmar, it appeared they were fixed.. then after driving home (~1200 miles) they are doing the same thing again... anyone ever face this issue and figure out how to get it resolved?

Typically when this happens I find it is one of the 2 shin kick sensors. When you push the force button just inside the door do they go all the way out? That is a sign that on of them is getting grounded out or activating while it travels.
Thanks
Justin
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
Director of Training 770-628-5966
Justin Townley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Townley View Post
Typically when this happens I find it is one of the 2 shin kick sensors. When you push the force button just inside the door do they go all the way out? That is a sign that on of them is getting grounded out or activating while it travels.
Thanks
Justin
They will go out using the over ride switch.. sensors were checked in Nappanee and they said they were all good.. but im thinking I may try to see if they are getting wet as we did go through some rain on the way home.. anyone know a good way to avoid them getting water in them? if that turns out to be the case?
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 10-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Same issue on our Essex, somehow the sensor(s) internal switch gets wet, producing a short, which the system interprets as a sensor contact ... and stops extension of the steps. On our system when the steps do this the HWH system also locks out deployment of the leveling jacks (but not the stow function).

We had the sensors replaced a couple of years back, only to have it repeat just a day or two later. I have found the sensors are fine if the steps are left out when it rains, the issue reappears to be when the curb feeler sensor is very close to the ground or touching wet grass. Sometimes it dries out after a day's drive, other times it takes several days of leaving them stowed and out of the elements before things recover.

I do have a couple of new sensors in the basement. Changing them out is a pain, because I don't have 4 foot long fingers it needs the lower pan removed to undo the connectors.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRog View Post
Same issue on our Essex, somehow the sensor(s) internal switch gets wet, producing a short, which the system interprets as a sensor contact ... and stops extension of the steps. On our system when the steps do this the HWH system also locks out deployment of the leveling jacks (but not the stow function).

We had the sensors replaced a couple of years back, only to have it repeat just a day or two later. I have found the sensors are fine if the steps are left out when it rains, the issue reappears to be when the curb feeler sensor is very close to the ground or touching wet grass. Sometimes it dries out after a day's drive, other times it takes several days of leaving them stowed and out of the elements before things recover.

I do have a couple of new sensors in the basement. Changing them out is a pain, because I don't have 4 foot long fingers it needs the lower pan removed to undo the connectors.
well thats not good... you'd think they would have figured out how to seal that better by now... gonna get out the blow dryer and dry it all out and see if that fixes things... thanks!!
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 10-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

Had the same problem with my 2019 DS 4018. In my case after driving thru heavy rain the steps went out, un be known to me !! Didn't realize they were out till my next stop. Fortunately i didn't drive thru any toll booths or gas stations during that time. Very lucky. I was able to disconnect and close steps till we got home. Once dried out was ok. Called Lippert and they sent out a new module, I looked the old one over closely and could not see any way of water intrusion, but obviously there was some. Haven't been in heavy rain since. This is something that needs to be looked into because serious damage could be done.
ESTANG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #7

My 2015 Ventana did the same thing on vacation. Your step motor sounds like its going bad. You can find the same motor on Amazon 50% cheaper than Newmar. I changed mine at campground in 20 minutes...good luck
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
well thats not good... you'd think they would have figured out how to seal that better by now... gonna get out the blow dryer and dry it all out and see if that fixes things... thanks!!

I wound up cutting off the shin sensor that's adhered to the lowest step, fixed the shenanigans with the step not going out. You may not have noticed, but it also affects your leveling system too. When the shin sensor is triggered, the auto level controller pours all the air in the tanks back into the air suspension and will lift you off the jacks.

I left the curb sensors (the two ball detent switches mounted under the middle step slides) hooked up as they don't seem to have any issues. If the step hits any appreciable obstruction on the way down or out, they will sense it, just after more force is applied to shins. Not a hair trigger like the shin sensor strip.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Our issue may be different. I disconnected the shin sensor and they still won’t come out. Tried disconnecting the curb sensors. Still No go.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 10-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #10

Where did you disconnect the shin sensor at to test it?

I think the shin sensor was a Normally Open circuit and the curb sensors were Normally Closed. Disconnecting the curb sensors may have actually activated them. I put a multimeter across all of mine to test them before I cut my shin sensor off.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Newmar tested the sensors at Nappanee this last week and all sensors tested good. when our step stops on the way out.. it has no effect on the levelers others experience.. so looks like our issue may be a little different I guess
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 10-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Think I found the culprit... intermittent connection on one of the curb sensors.. the sensor tests ok when tested on its own, but the connector locking mechanism is loose (where the curb sensor connects to the HWH wiring harness) which can allow it to back out from road vibrations and also possibly allow water ingress... I used a cable tie to hold tension on the connection and its working great now.. also cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner and sealed then with dielectric grease.. will see how this works on the next trip out!
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 10-21-2021, 05:38 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
They will go out using the over ride switch.. sensors were checked in Nappanee and they said they were all good.. but im thinking I may try to see if they are getting wet as we did go through some rain on the way home.. anyone know a good way to avoid them getting water in them? if that turns out to be the case?

The wire connections go up the rear side of the step frame, if you remove the plastic end caps you will see them. Heat shrinking the wire connections and inspecting them for breaks would be a good way but it will require you to cut them to slip the heat shrink over them.

Thanks
Justin
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
Director of Training 770-628-5966
Justin Townley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Townley View Post
The wire connections go up the rear side of the step frame, if you remove the plastic end caps you will see them. Heat shrinking the wire connections and inspecting them for breaks would be a good way but it will require you to cut them to slip the heat shrink over them.

Thanks
Justin
Thanks Justin... I put dielectric grease in all the connections yesterday and locked them all in place using tie wraps so they cannot back out... hopefully this will solve the issues.!
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A

Tags
hwh, steps