Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2023, 05:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HWH Steps Supported by Wood Blocks Opinions Solicited

We have the HWH hydraulic steps. We like them. Being three steps makes the need for adding a step stool rare, which is nice.

Care is necessary to avoid damaging them; having them hit the ground / curb when extending, grounding when the coach lowers during leveling, stepping on the lower step's corner stressing the left support.

The purpose of this discussion is supporting the bottom step with wood blocks. At our winter home port RV Resort, we have three or four folks who place a wood block beneath them.

I asked our NewServe mobile repair guy what he thought of that. He wondered if one knows the coach will always be exactly at the same height when parked for a prolonged time. We are full timers and parked there five months per year, so the steps get used 10-20 times per day.

Opinions on externally supporting the steps ???
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2023, 06:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Tony, if your jack's settle at all it will put a lot of stress on the steps. Most when staying long term build a set of step's and put wheels on them so they can be moved easily and turn the switch off for the steps leaving them in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steps.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	393811  
Old 05-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello Tony, if your jack's settle at all it will put a lot of stress on the steps. Most when staying long term build a set of step's and put wheels on them so they can be moved easily and turn the switch off for the steps leaving them in.
We used a porch when we had a Ventana. Had to cut power (there is no fuse) to the step so they wouldn't extend when the door is open, but it worked well.

That porch is not wide enough for these steps because of there is a wide plate that hides them when retracted. I need to learn how to cut power to these steps (just haven't read up on it yet) and do what you suggest.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Going to have to find the fuse for the steps Tony, pulling that would be the easiest. In doing a quick search, looks like fuse 11 in the compartment under the drivers seat powers the steps. Try to confirm this though, or pull it and see if the steps stay in Tony. Hope this helps you! Have a great holiday weekend!
Old 05-26-2023, 08:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Going to have to find the fuse for the steps Tony, pulling that would be the easiest. In doing a quick search, looks like fuse 11 in the compartment under the drivers seat powers the steps. Try to confirm this though, or pull it and see if the steps stay in Tony. Hope this helps you! Have a great holiday weekend!
Just took a peak, at the F11 fuse the circuit board says 'NO STEP'. Looks like you nailed it. Did not test yet, but will when we get back to home port. Paranoid about doing tests while on the road; even the benign.

Thanks very much.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you make anything, look at these.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...ent=0%20-%2030
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:56 AM   #7

DON'T DO IT!!!!!! And I speak from experience, I did the block trick and the coach settled and damaged the steps.

What I did was installed a cut off switch on the HWH pump and bought a set of stairs to use when I am home in my garage.

FYI as mentioned above, this switch it tied to the F11 fuse so the other option is to simply pull that fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stairs.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	393892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	393893  

sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!!! And I speak from experience, I did the block trick and the coach settled and damaged the steps.

What I did was installed a cut off switch on the HWH pump and bought a set of stairs to use when I am home in my garage.

FYI as mentioned above, this switch it tied to the F11 fuse so the other option is to simply pull that fuse.
GREAT!!!! Thanks. Am I correct F11 is only for the steps and nothing else? Reason I ask is the manual mentions F11 for trouble shooting the entire HWH system, but the circuit board says NO STEP next to F11.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
GREAT!!!! Thanks. Am I correct F11 is only for the steps and nothing else? Reason I ask is the manual mentions F11 for trouble shooting the entire HWH system, but the circuit board says NO STEP next to F11.
No, it kills everything HWH. Steps, Full Wall Slide, Jacks and Gen slide if equipped
Old 05-28-2023, 03:36 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
No, it kills everything HWH. Steps, Full Wall Slide, Jacks and Gen slide if equipped
Thinking it through, that makes sense as it is the hydraulic pump that drives all four. So if I choose to access the generator area to periodically check the hydraulic fluid level, then I have to be sure to move the porch away before re-inserting the fuse F11. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:33 AM   #11

On a level pad my air dumps then the jacks just touch and shut off. It it does that you don't have much chance of it settling, it's sitting on the bottomed out suspension.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Thinking it through, that makes sense as it is the hydraulic pump that drives all four. So if I choose to access the generator area to periodically check the hydraulic fluid level, then I have to be sure to move the porch away before re-inserting the fuse F11. Thanks for your help.
Yes, you are correct.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Just learned that F11 fuse affects the MIOM. Question, what is MIOM?
Old 06-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Just learned that F11 fuse affects the MIOM. Question, what is MIOM?
In light of everything F11 affects, I'd be inclined to find the door open magnetic switch line and put an inline switch on that instead.

-Ben

Tags
hwh, steps