Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

HWH system

I am having a problem with the right rear leveler coming down while driving it only comes down a little but sets the alarm off and it is the only one that does this. Can someone tell me what the problem might be and how to repair it.
kejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You did not say what system you have? If the jacks have large springs on them, most likely the springs are getting weak and need replaced due to they are failing to hold he jack cylinder up.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 AM   #3

My left rear was doing the same thing. What I was doing wrong was hitting the off button as soon as the alarm & lights went off, rather than letting the system shut itself off. You may want to also give the pistons a good cleaning with WD40. Just make sure you wipe them down really good so none of it is left. If not the WD40 will be like a dirt magnet.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #4

I have also experienced many of the problems that have been expressed in this post. After a visit to the factory I had all of the retraction springs replaced. The factory technician told me a technique which I use consistently and the results work very well. After the auto process has been used for retracting the cylinders, I restart the process as if I am going to level the coach. I then manually hold and retract the cylinders for approx. 30 seconds. In the automatic process the system shuts down when it reaches the lower limit. By manually retracting the cylinders they completely empty. By doing this I have never experienced the cylinder dropping while travelling. I also wipe down the Cylinders with WD40, making them retract much quicker. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems normal that a jack may come down a bit to trip the alarm. I was told to always drive with the system in the "Store" position on. Whenever a jack may drop the system automatically pulls it back up. Hope this helps.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH system

Had same problem on 2008 DSDP, was told by Newmar that heat from muffler was causing jack fluid to expand; solution was hit store button. Problem never solved went away when purchased 2011 DSDP.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When the solenoids open, when in the store position on control board, the springs are what returns all the fluid back to the reservoir tank and hold jacks up so no alarm.
Any heat created to fluid will only expand back to tank not jack itself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't claim to be an expert on operation of HWH jacks only sharing my experience and NewMar instruction on how to fix. Was told by NewMar that this was a known problem and they were working with HWH to solve it. Normal travel mode light is on when traveling and when alarm went off I would hit store button to solve problem with jack. This problem was never solved in the time that I owned the 2008 DSDP.

FYI.....
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #9

I ended up disconnecting the sensor on top of the jack that kept giving me the problem. No more alarm coming on when hurtling down the road. After retracting, I never move the coach without physically inspecting the jacks anyhow.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

I had this issue for the first time this year, it was the RR, closest to the exhaust, and I'm blaming it on the original springs and the fact it happened after 40 miles on the road after 5 months extended.
A mobile store cycle , cancelled the alarm, updated springs on the to-do list.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Seems normal that a jack may come down a bit to trip the alarm. I was told to always drive with the system in the "Store" position on. Whenever a jack may drop the system automatically pulls it back up. Hope this helps.

Yep, HWH advised me to travel with the system in "store" mode.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Yep, HWH advised me to travel with the system in "store" mode.
Maybe that was their fix for the issue , BUT, on the older systems like mine the store mode times out and powers the system down 2 mins. after all the lights , for jacks down , go off.
Do the newer systems do the same ?
Or is store mode on till the next ignition cycle ?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Same advice from previous owner, he said he got the info from Newmar to operate the unit in the "Store" mode when driving. Problem solved. It's worked well for me, Washington State to Alaska and more. On another note, I have a problem with the left rear jack not fully retracting, 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire gas. I had to use some manual "force" to get it to the full stored position the last time I tried to retract them (yesterday). Been rooting around this forum for a while this morning looking for solutions and have come to the conclusion that 1) a good cylinder cleaning/WD40 lube job is in order and probably 2) soon replacement of the retract springs. My question is this; several people on this forum have mentioned that HWH came out with "new" and better springs to replace the "old" ones, but no where can I find the "when"? How do I know if I have the "new" vs the "old"? I know the previous owner replaced the springs as he told me he did, but I don't know when so I don't know if I have the old or new. Obviously, when I do purchase replacement springs I'm assuming they will be the "new" ones, but how can I tell the difference? I'd hate to get stuck with the old type that someone had left over. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
PalmerAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #14

Tapered ends on the springs vs square.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 41 views)

Tags
hwh