RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HWH Undersized Springs on my 2004DSDP?

Just had my RV at the dealer for my annual service & inspection & was told by the service dept that in 2004, the spings on my jacks were undersized & should be replaced with new, larger springs. Jacks work fine & never had a problem. Maybe its time to "upgrade"??? Has anyone else had problems with their 2004 jacks retracting & replacing the springs has solved the problem?

bmerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The jacks extend by pressure, and retract by venting the pressure so the springs can pull them up.

If your jacks retract fast enough to suit you, I see absolutely no need for you to make any contributions to the dealers kids college fund.

If you, or anyone else reading this, has some cash they don't need, look up St. Jude's Childrens hospital in Chicago. They fix sick kids. They do it for free, and exist 100% on donations.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

I was having problems with my jacks not retracting on my 04 dpsd. I called newmar who then told me the same thing."I needed the larger springs". I bit, purschased and replaced the old with the new, and TADA, they still dont retract.

I have an old scissor jack and had a shop weld on a chuck to my makita. Going on a trip next week, so well give it a try along with the wd40, and spraying em off. All cheaper that the alternative. Good luck
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have HWH's under our 2002 DSDP. They still work just fine, maybe we got the better springs?
I've never sprayed them with WD-40 (I thought HWH said not to use that). I've never had to wipe the ram down with hydraulic fluid or Dexron III either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Are the retraction springs straight ("old" design) or slightly tapered ("new" design) on the end?

If it ain't broke why fix it???
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

Jack Springs

I have a 2001 Mountain Aire and never had a problem with jacks retracting. I have never use anything on them. No silicone or WD40. It is just getting broken in 78,000 miles and runs great. I had a 1995 London Aire before this one and never had a problem with the jacks.
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dportem View Post
I was having problems with my jacks not retracting on my 04 dpsd. I called newmar who then told me the same thing."I needed the larger springs". I bit, purschased and replaced the old with the new, and TADA, they still dont retract.
Same here. Now the dealer says I may need to rebuild or purchase new HWH levelers. But, for now, all I do is lie down next to the appropriate leveler with a 2x4 and push the sucker up by hand. Hopefully, the NEW springs are helping. Haven't been caught in the rain or mud YET.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

I had trouble with one jack on my '04 and replaced the spring myself, it did fix my problem. I bought two so I now have a spare if another one needs to be done. As another poster stated you can lever them up if they won't return so there is no need to be in a hurry to do the replacements. There are already many threads on this subject plus a huge amount of information on the HWH website.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do not fix something that is working.......
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum bemerpaw.
I'd save your money until you have a problem also.
My 03 has same springs and working with out problems as they age may lose their tension, so far have not.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #11

If your handy, take the springs off and cut one loop off it and try it before you spring for new springs. Worked for me.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bmerpaw,
I agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it. However, my jacks are a bit temper mental. I do carry a "persuasion bar" to help a jack up now and then. There is no rhyme or reason as to when I need the bar. Sometimes a jack just will not retract.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #13

Had to have mine replaced. Tech told me when retracting let the system run the cycle and then hit the "Level" button again. Hold the manual retract buttons approx. 20-30 seconds, turn system off. By doing this, jacks have closed completely and you do not experience the Jacks coming of the sensors and activating the alarm system while traveling. Have not had alarm since following the above.
gmarsha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome gmarsha2 to Newmar forum & irv2.
Thanks for joining us and for your first post.
Enjoy the forums safe travels.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh