Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #1

Hydra-Hot heating or heat pumps

I have a Hydra-Hot system in my (new to me) 2007 MADP. I also have a “heat pump” setting on my thermostat control, but not sure if I even have heat pumps. I am testing the heating system for the first time and not really sure what to expect from Hydra-Hot or the heat pumps. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On your thermostat control you will have a furnace setting that will control the Hydro-Hot ( select elect for a little heat or diesel for a lot of heat). Heat pump on the thermostat will turn them on for heat down to about 38 degrees.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

So, if I understand this correctly…..l do have heat pumps and they are built into the AC’s. The Hydra-Hot is separate of course and when set to electrical, they provide a small amount of heat and when the diesel option is selected, the furnace will provide a lot of heat.

Do you know what temperature range can be expected from each option?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

On my unit the heat pumps are adequate to remove the chill from the air and that's how I use them. My Aqua hot on electric will keep the M/H warm if very little hot water is used. To keep the M/H toasty I turn the electric and diesrl switches on. The diesel only activates when the electric is not providing enough to keep the thermostat tempeture.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I find that using the heat pumps, which is a very expensive piece of equipment, for the small amount of heat they provide, not worth it for heating. I have other options such as electric heaters which take the chill off just as effectively. I would rather save the heat pump/air conditioners for the summer when I don't have any other option for cooling. Hydo-Hot is one of the best sources of comfortable heat on the market today.

I purchased my rv in Buffalo, NY in February when the temperatures were in the low to mid teens. I spent the first night at a Walmart parking lot in Cleveland OH. Zone 1(front part) was only working because they had replace the rear air conditioner and didn't set the switches on the unit correctly. Even at those low temperatures and half my heating system working I was perfectly comfortable for the night and the Hydro-Hot didn't run continuously. I think it was a combination of how well the rv was insulated and how efficient the Hydo-Hot system operates.

The Hydro-Hot uses about a half gallon of diesel fuel and hour(varies with temperature) so I know it will carry me through those really cold temperatures of winter. But I try to avoid those really cold temperatures of winter!!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Quick Tips & Mods there is much info on your topic.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote