Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Hydralift Motorcycle Lift

Any coach owners, especially 2017 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis, who have had a Hydralift motorcycle lift installed willing to share their tips/tricks/cautions and installation information? I'm scheduling an install for December with the folks at NIRVC in Dallas.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Any coach owners, especially 2017 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis, who have had a Hydralift motorcycle lift installed willing to share their tips/tricks/cautions and installation information? I'm scheduling an install for December with the folks at NIRVC in Dallas.

I have no experience but have done some prelim research on my own. Just curious what kind of bike are you hauling? I’m trying to convince the wife to let me bring along a Suzuki drz400sm when we head out west after the holidays... I had initially looked at a hydraulic lift but the costs are more than the bike! I’ll probably just end up with a rack and ramp on the back and push it up. It’s not too heavy!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:

On my previous coach, 2011 Winnebago Tour 42 QD I had one. My advice would be to install using the bolt on method as oppose too welding and all the hoses have made with quick-connects, reason being is in case the engine needs repaired the lift would not be in the way. Brackets were welded to the frame however.

I also installed a 2"x2" aluminum square running the length of the lift along with one in the front. I then installed an E Tract to make it easier to tie my 2016 Harley Ultra Limited down. The other benefit was the added height of 2" helped me load and unload the bike. I also ordered the brake light option as well.

Good luck and use plenty o straps in case you are forced into an emergence maneuver. I am quite anal in how I strapped the bike down and used lots of straps
Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Golf Cart version on my Ventana, loaded the golf cart first time today, tomorrow 200 miles, 400 on Tuesday. I'll let you know my opinion on Wednesday....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

I built my own lift. It was a fun project and it likely saved me a lot of money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_150123.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	225035  
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have the Golf Cart version on my Ventana, loaded the golf cart first time today, tomorrow 200 miles, 400 on Tuesday. I'll let you know my opinion on Wednesday....
I'll be curious how it all works out. Would the Golf Cart model work for a Harley Trike (weight approx. 1,200 pounds)?

A buddy who stays in the same winter CG as us has the hydrolift for his 2-wheel Harley and travels constantly during the year. He has had really good luck with it and it loads and unloads easily.

Thinking down the road we may get rid of our enclosed trailer and look at something different to haul the Trike and a car.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Did the first drive of 600 miles the last 2 days with the Golf Cart on the lift and here are my observations:

1. While I could see the top of my Jeep through the rear camera, the primary rear view was the roof of the golf cart moving every time there was a dip in the road.

2. Piece of advice "Don't look at the camera"

3. Made it without any real issues, just visual panic attacks.

4. Well worth the $ expended to be able to carry the golf cart without a trailer or pickup truck in tow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the report Bob. I had heard elsewhere not to watch the camera
Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
A little pic of Ventana, Jeep, Golf Cart
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	225296
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #10

Bob, did you see much difference in the receiver height for you tow bar? Did you need an extension to help move the tow bar back?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Bob, did you see much difference in the receiver height for you tow bar? Did you need an extension to help move the tow bar back?
The golf cart lift came with and extension to help support the lift. Having said that I might even add a few more inches, while it worked on the way home, I'm not positive that in sharp turn the jeep wouldn't hit the lift. The lift is actual higher than the fenders, but not higher that the roof. I have been considering another 2-4" extension to be safe, but haven't gone that route yet. As far as tow bar height, with the whole thing connected I noticed a little drag in on spot at my dealers (went to show them the golf cart on the lift on the way home) that we never had an issue with this coach or our Canyon Star.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]