Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Hydraulic leveler stuck in down position

My front right hydraulic leveling jack wouldn't retract all the way up on our last outing. A friend came over with a 2x4 and forced it up. What is the best thing to do if a jack gets stuck retracting? Thanks
campbelljr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #2

I've had that happen and as your friend did, I used a 2x4 and a block of wood to create a lever. When I got home, I extended the jacks and wiped them down with WD40 and that solved the problem. If the 2x4 trick doesn't work, you may have to loosen a hydraulic line but you'll lose some hydraulic oil and it will create a mess. You also may have to still use a 2x4.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Always best to include the leveler manufacturer, series, and coach age when asking questions of this type .

There's good info available from the HWH web site ; if that's your brand .

Welcome to HWH Corporation

Some files on springs and cleaning, of the jacks.
Cleaning often , particularly after long periods of extension , helped my system .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #4

I have that happen to two of mine. I extended them all the way and cleaned them with wd40 wiped them all real good and haven’t had any problems.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'16 Ventana with HWH system. On the side of the pump assembly, facing the outside wall of the coach, there are 4 levers. Lifting them releases the hydraulic pressure, allowing the springs to pull up the pads. Assuming you dont have a bent jack, broken spring, etc. Lift two levers at a time, front or back. I dont remember the order they are in, but they are marked I believe.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If all the help you received still doesn't work than its time to remove jack and get rebuilt at HWH or order a new one from them and a new thread we can help you with that if you want to do work fronts are not bad to replace, rears present different problem.
The seals inside cylinder twist binding the shiny shaft.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:54 AM   #7

WD40 works, but don't forget to wipe it down REALLY good, or else the WD40 will be a dirt magnet. I had a jack that would be contrary, left rear, and I just used the scissor jack from my towed to push it back up.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #8

Another hint that may help.

If you have a jack that is known for sticking in the down position, when dropping that jack, place something under it. This will allow for space to put your 2x4, metal pole or scissor jack so to be able to get leverage on the jack.

I use a pair of cut 2x4's about a foot long each.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Maybe a stronger spring will help. My friend had a similar problem and found that HWH had stronger springs available. As I recall the stronger springs are smaller near the ends while the old ones were same size end to end.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

If you have airbag suspension, you can lower the air right to the bottom after hitting retract all jacks. Start the coach, and let it air up. This will create a couple inches under the jack pad. If prying it up wont do it, put a block of wood under the jack. Drop the airbags again, and it will push the jack up farther. Repeat as many times as required to put it up all the way. This will get you out of a pickle until you can repair it properly. If no airbags, hit retract all and start prying. As stated, use another block for a leverage point. My old coach had jacks that would stick. I got pretty good at putting them back up.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you have airbag suspension, you can lower the air right to the bottom after hitting retract all jacks.

Start the coach, and let it air up. This will create a couple inches under the jack pad. If prying it up wont do it, put a block of wood under the jack. Drop the airbags again, and it will push the jack up farther. Repeat as many times as required to put it up all the way.
Hm. Don't your tires eventually stop this from working?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well step one is to sing that old song. Lubricate, Lubricate Lube per the manual, Lubriate Lubricate lube per the manual (Tune Dancing in the Street).

Folliwing the manual instructions try lubrication.. What those are varies from jack manufacturer to jack mancufaturer so I won't specualte or mis-inform you as to how. But LUBRICATE.

Next.. i carry a floor jack for my car. Works for this too if the jack is far enough up..

Tags
hydraulic