Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

Hydraulic steps

Good day fellow Newmar fans
I had a mishap with my 2019 London aire steps
I stopped for fuel at a card lock and the step came out when I opened the door, and the corner of the step caught the edge of the island and the step kept a coming resulting in the arms and welded nuts all to bend and break apart until the rams had fully extended, the step has stop sensors on the bottom and middle portion of the first step but none on the corners. No replacement parts in stock at HWH only one complete step at Newmar which they shipped for free. With taxes, duty and exchange I am at $ 10k Canadian, [mod edit]
Just wanted to put it out there for you all to be careful where you park.
shanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ouch !
Old 05-31-2022, 07:13 AM   #3

Hydraulic steps

The exact same thing happened at my first Flying J stop in the new coach. Fortunately the step hit the adjacent concrete island dead center so the sensor activated and the step stopped. We now do not open the door until we confirm we have clearance.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had issues with my hydraulic steps and broke part of the linkage. In my case, after a few rebuild attempts at Nirvc had to replace the entire unit because could not get the steps square.

If you do order them. Make sure you get all the sensors and bit parts also.
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Been there, done that! Part of my fueling parking check is to ensure there's room on the PS to deploy the steps. I also have stopped at a truck stop - some fueling bays seem more narrow than others - and had the same issue with the corner of the steps contacting a post. I was watching to check for a clean deployment and immediately re-closed the door ... inched forward a bit, then tried again. I think I caught it before the hydraulics broke anything.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #6

Shanes
Could you pass on the date this took place and date your stairs were ordered. For us with the same stairs being damaged, It's been 6 weeks and still no stairs. The information would help.
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #7

Yes go ahead and message me
shanes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, steps