RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I BLAME YOU GREAT iRV2 FOLKS FOR THIS PROBLEM.

The DW and I are new to the RV world and we are loving it more each day. We have a 2004 41Ft DS and we are learning more and more each day. We visit this site every night before bed to read your post and the great responses that come from the experienced RVers in this group.

The problem is that you guys make things sound so easy that I felt a little bad about not being a litttle more hands on with our DS. So when I realized that we needed to change the batteries in our unit I figured I would read and study before tackling the job myself. BAD, BAD, BAD MOVE and I have messed things up pretty good here. The starting batteries work fine and fire the unit up with no problems, the house system is not working at all. The Battery Disconnect Panel will not power up at all and the Inverter light is flashing and making a slight ticking noise on the RC7 Remote.

I am going to take my unit in today to the service center, but I would like to know what you guys think may be the problem. It is truly possible that I did not correctly re-connect the new batteries, but I did take a picture before I took it apart and it looks correct. I may have bitten off more than I can chew and I truly hope I didnt do serious damage to our unit.

Okay now I blame all of you good people for making all of this sound so easy LOL. Please tell me what you think may be the problem and what I should look out for at the service center. Thanks from two newbies for your help.

TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Certainly sounds like a battery connection problem. Did you use a meter to check to make sure you have 12v between the main pos and neg connections? If you don't have a meter, you can get a simple one for probably $20 or less at Lowes, HD, or Radio Shack.

Also check the fuse between the battery bank and the inverter.

joe

Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #3

Yep, you probably re-connected the batteries incorrectly. As you suggest, remember to take a picture next time.

Her's my 2001 MADP wiring: http://gallery.me.com/hughes54311#10...Battery_Labels
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Usually when something stops working I go back to the last thing I did Wiring the house batteries up wrong seems a likely place to start. Here is a diagram of how four six volt batteries should be wired. Ignore the Meter shunt as it was added by me to put a current meter inside the coach. Tread it as if it isn't there.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	22071  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is easy provided you follow directions.

Step one. before you go to the battery store go to the hobby shop and get a couple cans of TESTOR spray paint, or you can use nail polish or paint.

RED for the wires on the POSITIVE end of the battery

Black for the other end.

Next.. Take a picture.

Now you know what wire goes where when you re-connect.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TEEGEE1997,
It is easy to determine if the batteries were connected properly. Find all the positive wires going from the battery bank to the coach. There may be more than one. With a meter, connect the positive meter lead to the positive battery wire. Connect the negative meter lead to ground. All the positive wires should read 12 VDC or more.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There should be a small wiring plate located on top of the battery rack just above the handle. Might be really dirty, probably why you haven't noticed it. If not I can post mine for you. Should be almost identical.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pictures of Battery Tray Diagram and Batteries

12 VOLT 6 VOLT
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

TeeGee, Welcome to the forum. Hope you solve your problem...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you folks, we truly appreciate all of your quick and great responses to our issue. Dutchstar 38 thanks for taking the time to send us the pictures, I did find it on my DS. I did get it corrected and things are working great, ill check in with all of you before I take on my next challenge --- replacing the heavy Sony televisions.

TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote