Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has anyone ever spoken to anyone at Newmar why they use such a short bolt?
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #72

Completed the Stage 8 install today on the two kitchen slide motors and the bedroom slide motor. There were a few swear words thrown out during the install. It’s a very tight and dark space to work in as I knew it would be since I have replaced a slide motor before. I’m not sure how anyone used a torque wrench up in the upper bolts. I had to use a box end wrench to get one upper bolt our as there was not enough room to even get one click on my ratchet. Also, I don’t see how it would even be possible to get the exact torque as the bolts do have to be adjusted slightly to get the brackets on. I tightened them as close as I could get. My kitchen slide bolts were somewhat loose and I had just tightened them two months ago.

As for the bedroom slide that’s another thing. I had no idea which side the motor was on so I guessed wrong the first time as I removed the floor panels under the bed on the left side first. The motor of course is on the right side. It’s even worse trying to work on the bedroom slide motor than the kitchen slide. When I tried taking out the first bolt I could tell it wasn’t coming out very easily. I moved the slide in to get it off the locks so I could turn the shaft slightly. The reason the motor had moved slightly on the mount is because all my bedroom motor bolts were finger tight only and, they had blue loctite put in by the dealer when they tightened the bolts. So, I guess I dodged a bullet on the bedroom slide by doing this install before it broke the bolts.

As for getting at the motor under the bed. On my coach the motor is under the right side panels when looking at the bed. There are two panels and each panel is held down by one screw. The small panel has a thumb hole so you can get it out. Then you can pull up the large panel. Be careful of the sleep number bed motor which will just slide off the panel when you remove it. I put the panels back on the left side and kneeled on them to complete the work. Plenty strong enough or you can try just sitting on the wood framing. When you put the large panel back in then you will have to get the sleep number bed pump back on the panel. I included a photo of the bedroom motor. All bolts on my coach were 1/2” bolt heads. So the same part number for all 3 motors.

The install was not as easy as I thought it was going to be but, now all my slide motors are completed and hopefully this will be the end of any further problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05B0C9DC-FCDF-4297-82BE-C340300C3E2A.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	333994  
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #73

Hi to all Stage 8 installers. How do you get the clips on the bolt heads? What tool or method do you use?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Hi to all Stage 8 installers. How do you get the clips on the bolt heads? What tool or method do you use?
Once I had the brackets installed I was able to push the clips on by hand. Then I checked to make sure they rotate freely per the instructions.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #75

Quote:
I pushed them in place with a flathead screwdriver and then made sure they rotated freely after.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I stand to be corrected. only one of the 4 bolts was a 1/2", the rest were 3/4" which meet full strength bolt lengths. There were various grades, grade 5 grade 7. But... I still replaced all with 1" bolts and used loctite red thread locker. I will check in 6 months to see if they have changed. degreased the bolts, brass brushed out the threads, blew out the threads and installed with original lock washer. After thinking about it I remeasured the thickness of the washer and plate, it is a hair bigger than 3/16" thick rather than I reported previously.

I should have at least 13/16" penetration with loctite. Thinking about it some more, bolt strength in this case is more related to total threads engaged than meeting the min req for full strength. Clearly they are far to short. I didn't want to add a washer so went with the 1" grade 8 $.97 each, rather than the 1 1/4" because I was worried about bottoming out and weakening the alum mounting well.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #77
tvp

So I have a 2016 Canyon Star 3710
I know the bedroom slide and the living room slide have different bolt sizes , any one have ordered the Stage 8 kit and if so what part numbers did you use ?
Old 06-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
So I have a 2016 Canyon Star 3710
I know the bedroom slide and the living room slide have different bolt sizes , any one have ordered the Stage 8 kit and if so what part numbers did you use ?
You need to know the bolt head size. Is it 1/2 or something else. You order the kits based on the size of the bolt head. My kitchen and bedroom all had 1/2” bolt heads so same kit for all motors.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #79
tvp

Thanks will check this weekend!
Old 07-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #80

I was going to do the SLS fix but had a hard time obtains the parts in Canada without being a contractor. The border is still closed so can not obtain parts from the US.

So I checked and most bolts were not that loose after 1.5 years of use. I do have the 5/16 bolts with an integrated serrated washer. The thread length is 3/4” grade 5 bolts. They look like the same bolts used with the stage 8 system.

I’m going to try using Permatex orange. 3x blue strength and still can use tools to remove. Looks like strength between blue and red loctite.

In the 1 bolt I removed completely no sign of blue loctite.

I have a late Feb build 2019 Dutchstar.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This thread has been added in the CHECK LIST.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #82

Quote:
I was going to do the SLS fix but had a hard time obtains the parts in Canada without being a contractor. The border is still closed so can not obtain parts from the US.

So I checked and most bolts were not that loose after 1.5 years of use. I do have the 5/16 bolts with an integrated serrated washer. The thread length is 3/4” grade 5 bolts. They look like the same bolts used with the stage 8 system.

I’m going to try using Permatex orange. 3x blue strength and still can use tools to remove. Looks like strength between blue and red loctite.

In the 1 bolt I removed completely no sign of blue loctite.

I have a late Feb build 2019 Dutchstar.
Well I removed all the bolts in the kitchen slide 1 by one and cleaned bolt and holes. Added orange Permatex and torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Marked all the bolts for future checking for loosing. Except one bolt looked mostly stripped when I removed it. I Permatex it and reinstalled for now. I likely should remove and replace. Hope the motor hole is not damaged. Any ideas how it could get stripped as shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34DBFE50-8417-4335-9705-B3E00970F41E.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	335402  
Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #83

Quote:
Well I removed all the bolts in the kitchen slide 1 by one and cleaned bolt and holes. Added orange Permatex and torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Marked all the bolts for future checking for loosing. Except one bolt looked mostly stripped when I removed it. I Permatex it and reinstalled for now. I likely should remove and replace. Hope the motor hole is not damaged. Any ideas how it could get stripped as shown.

Does not look cross threaded. I suspect there was debris in the hole when it was installed.

Given the condition of the steel bolt, I doubt the threads in the aluminum casting are any good. Can you get a look at it using a strong light and mirror? - Paul
Old 07-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #84

Quote:

Looks to need a helicoil to repair. Ditch the bolts and thread locker alone. Fix it right, studs and Nordlock washers with double nut. Fastenal CA should be able to get you your parts.

Tags
motor, slide