Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 11:57 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Does not look cross threaded. I suspect there was debris in the hole when it was installed.

Given the condition of the steel bolt, I doubt the threads in the aluminum casting are any good. Can you get a look at it using a strong light and mirror? - Paul
The hole is one of the top holes further from my eye even with a mirror.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Looks to need a helicoil to repair. Ditch the bolts and thread locker alone. Fix it right, studs and Nordlock washers with double nut. Fastenal CA should be able to get you your parts.
Fastenal Canada only sells to business. They also mentioned this is a North American policy just in case I had any other ideas.

I will eventually work my way to the “Fix”.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #87
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Well I removed all the bolts in the kitchen slide 1 by one and cleaned bolt and holes. Added orange Permatex and torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Marked all the bolts for future checking for loosing. Except one bolt looked mostly stripped when I removed it. I Permatex it and reinstalled for now. I likely should remove and replace. Hope the motor hole is not damaged. Any ideas how it could get stripped as shown.
Looks like the screw was binding in the bracket hole and was damaged as it was unscrewed.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #88

Quote:
Well I removed all the bolts in the kitchen slide 1 by one and cleaned bolt and holes. Added orange Permatex and torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Marked all the bolts for future checking for loosing. Except one bolt looked mostly stripped when I removed it. I Permatex it and reinstalled for now. I likely should remove and replace. Hope the motor hole is not damaged. Any ideas how it could get stripped as shown.
It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me more like the bolt is not striped but the threads are full of aluminum or pot metal from the motor bolt hole. I had the same problem with the bolt holes gulling and I had to use a thread chaser to clean them up. I believe they were over torqued in production.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #89

Quote:
Fastenal Canada only sells to business. They also mentioned this is a North American policy just in case I had any other ideas.

I will eventually work my way to the “Fix”.

I had the same issue here in the states. I was referred to their website where I purchased all the parts. If you can buy from Fastenal.ca, let me know and I can send you the part#’s you will need.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:16 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I had the same issue here in the states. I was referred to their website where I purchased all the parts. If you can buy from Fastenal.ca, let me know and I can send you the part#’s you will need.
Thanks I have all the part numbers and the place in town have they in inventory!
Old 07-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me more like the bolt is not striped but the threads are full of aluminum or pot metal from the motor bolt hole. I had the same problem with the bolt holes gulling and I had to use a thread chaser to clean them up. I believe they were over torqued in production.
I marked the bolts and will watch that bolt and all the others for movement.

I will look for a thread chaser for the 5/16 -18 hole.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Looks like the screw was binding in the bracket hole and was damaged as it was unscrewed.

That is a good possibility. If the bolt was tight to remove, all the way out, that's probably what did it. If so, he could run a tap in and thread the overlap on the bracket. Would just need a new bolt, then. - Paul
Old 07-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
That is a good possibility. If the bolt was tight to remove, all the way out, that's probably what did it. If so, he could run a tap in and thread the overlap on the bracket. Would just need a new bolt, then. - Paul
Hi,

Not sure what "thread the overlap on the bracket" means
Old 07-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #94

I find it’s better to run the slide out far enough to be off the locks. That way you can rotate the shaft if necessary so it doesn’t bind the motor bolts. If they have been even slightly loose then the motor will move enough to cause one or all the bolts to bind. If the bolt is not coming out easily then this may be the problem.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I find it’s better to run the slide out far enough to be off the locks. That way you can rotate the shaft if necessary so it doesn’t bind the motor bolts. If they have been even slightly loose then the motor will move enough to cause one or all the bolts to bind. If the bolt is not coming out easily then this may be the problem.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowntown View Post
I finally got around to completing my retrofit of the slideout motor bolts with the Stage 8 locking solution. Yes they are pricey but so is anything manufactured by Newmar. A new motor can cost over 600 dollars plus install.

The entire job took about 1 1/2 hour, the motor under the slide is a bear to get to for a tall guy.

The install is straight forward and everything is supplied to complete the job. I used a 1/2 ratchet wrench,a electric socket wrench, a torque wrench and some needle nose vice grips.

For those that have not done anything with the slide motors, on my coach, a 2017 3736, the kitchen slide motors are inside the 1st and 2nd bay doors on the passenger side, remove the black covers to get to the motors. The bedroom slide is under the bed and after removing the floor panels, you will see the motor. I have included photos of the install.

I previously tried the stud, lock washer and blue loctite, the studs came loose on the bedroom slide this year during inspection so I went for this solution

[ATTACH]330669[ATTACH]330670[ATTACH]330671[ATTACH]330672[ATTACH]330673[ATTACH]330674[ATTACH]330677[ATTACH]330678[ATTACH]330679[ATTACH]Attachment 1Attachment 330682[ATTACH]330671
Thanks for the post and nice job!

I've been looking for a small compact torque wrench. Where did you get yours?
elees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #97

On our 18 London Aire we found that our slide out motor bolts were all lose when we checked them about 6 months after we picked up new coach. Contacted Newmar and was told that our slide out motor bolts were Loc-tited which when we check non of the bolts had been Lok-tited. Put 1 1/2 inch long studs with Lok-tite on the the stud and then doubled nutted one serrated nut and then one nylon nut. That was 3 years ago and all good today. If using studs use Loc-tite on stud and torque too 25 ft. lbs.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by elees View Post
Thanks for the post and nice job!

I've been looking for a small compact torque wrench. Where did you get yours?

Sears
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, slide