Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

I hear the “Banjos”

What are some of the strangest and weird places some of you ended up at, thinking you were pulling into a nice RV park for the night. Sometimes out on the road you need to find an RV park just for a quick rest before continuing on your trip. You find what you think is a nice place on your internet search. The pictures look great and you make the decision to stay there for the one night. Well when you get there it is nothing like what the pictures depicted. As you enter you hear Banjos. “DELIVERANCE”. What I’m saying is unless you do your research very well before departing on your trip you may end up in one of these places. Yes I’ve been there. Walmart parking lot is looking good.

JMcG
2016 Ventana 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

Arkansas comes to mind.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A RV park just outside of Salt Lick Kentucky. Nobody had shoes on and we actually locked the door right away. Scariest park we've seen in the whole country.

It was near dark when we got there so stayed overnight but left early the next morning.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

I guess I'm not sure how that could happen if you do a little research prior to booking a spot. Between RVParky and some other sites there are always recent reviews on about any site or CG.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I just pull out my Banjo and join in.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

There's a little place down in Ranger, TX. Only been there once but would might go back if I have to.

Pulled into a wheat field with gravel parking spots. Sign on building said to pick your spot and leave money in envelope.

Before I could complete paperwork a big old car came flying down the gravel road and slid to a stop sideways to where I was standing. Would have run but nowhere to go in an open field. Driver opened the passenger window and asked what I was doing. Said I had a reservation and was working on the paperwork.

To my surprise he smiled and said OK and took off in a cloud of dust.

Never saw anyone else the rest of the night and left as soon as I could get my clothes on in the morning.

Dave C.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I just pull out my Banjo and join in.

Deliverance was about my family so never found a RV Park scarier then a family reunion

(I was the FIRST 'YANKEE" born into the 'clan'....and only one until my son was born)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you hear a banjo played very badly, it could be me, bought a banjo to learn to play, turns out I have no talent what so ever.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #9

We've had a few campgrounds that didn't really live up to the pictures and reports made online. One CG (the location escapes me) we were parked in the first spot next to the entry road. This place was located right behind a truck stop and not in the nicest section of town. There was an endless parade of cars and people on foot up and down that road going back and forth to the "permanent resident" section of the park that lasted till the wee hours of the morning. Didn't have any issues, but I slept very light that night.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I pulled into a park for an overnighter in Texas recently that caused me to chuckle a little. This park was about 80% permanent residents. Directly across the street from me was a park model that was occupied by a gentleman in his 70s and his little dog. Friendly guy, nothing wrong with him. But, he was a total doppelgänger for the actor that played Jim Lahey in the Canadian TV series Trailer Park Boys. I couldn’t shake that image and would grin every time I saw him.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
Before I could complete paperwork a big old car came flying down the gravel road and slid to a stop sideways to where I was standing. Would have run but nowhere to go in an open field. Driver opened the passenger window and asked what I was doing. Said I had a reservation and was working on the paperwork.

To my surprise he smiled and said OK and took off in a cloud of dust.
That actually read like it was out of an early chapter of a Jack Reacher book. You shoulda stayed for the exciting parts that always follow.

KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think we may have scared some people. Thirty years ago, we owned a truck with a slide in camper and my sister/BIL owned an older Fireball Class C. We had stopped overnight at COE campground. About 3:00am, my sister was banging at our door with her three daughters in tow. She dragged them into our camper and said.....there is a terrible smell in the coach, we couldn't breathe. Fearing it was really serious, I just took off running.....in my underwear.

I met my brother in law in front of the Fireball and he said there was gas filling the coach, their dog had awakened them to the odor. He was also only in his underwear. We made several trips into the coach with our mouth and nose covered and finally found the odor. They had stored a bottle of the old toilet chemical, with formaldehyde, next to the water pump under the sink. The pump froze and overheated. It meted the chemical bottle and was now off gassing formaldehyde.

We removed the bottle, opened all the windows and turned on all the lights. Now this is where the weird part comes in. We both grabbed pillows and started waving them around in the coach to air it out. For anyone just waking up in the middle of the night, all they saw were two men having a pillow fight in their underwear in the middle of the night.

We left quietly in the morning.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We both grabbed pillows and started waving them around in the coach to air it out. For anyone just waking up in the middle of the night, all they saw were two men having a pillow fight in their underwear in the middle of the night.

We left quietly in the morning.
LMAO !!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #14

Now THAT'S a good one!
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote