Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #1

I hope to buy a Newmar this week, a few questions, though.

We are looking at an 04 Kountry Star 3904 Freightliner with the Cat 330.
Are there any commonly known issues (that I don't know) with this model?
Any concerns with this engine? I hear so much about Cummins, but haven't really read all that much regarding the Cat.
I would sincerely appreciate any and all feedback, as we endeavor to join the Newmar family...
BWSJKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #2

There are far more Cummins engines in Newmar motor homes and for that matter all diesel coaches. Since Cat got out of the highway diesel engines around 2008 it is harder to get service centers to get service for Cat engines. I don't think it should stop you from your Newmar purchase but if you have a choice a Cummins would be a better choice.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
laj

there is no problem getting cats worked on at all. no problems getting parts either. personally i won't own a cummins at all. you hear more about problems with cummins because they have more problems, and there is a reason they're cheaper to buy and parts are cheaper. if you gave the mdl. of the engine your looking at could be more specific. the biggest issue with some cat c-7 engines are the pumps. several threads about the issue and cure for this.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a C-9 and have no problem getting service work or diagnostics done on it. There are CAT dealers all over the place and any good diesel mechanic will be able to work on it. That said there are more Cummins due to CAT exiting the business.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the Newmar family!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

When Cat was in the market in 04 thru 08 Cummins were by far the most requested and used diesel engines in the RV business. If you have a choice of diesel power for your RV Cummins would be the choice by at least 5 to 1.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

I sincerely appreciate all the responses. Thank you.
BWSJKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #8

I had an 2004 Itasca Meridian with the Cat C-7 330 HP engine for 11 years and my only concern ever was the fan hub bearing. In 2004 Cat went from a greaseable bearing to a sealed bearing and I read about some started going bad anywhere from 15,000 miles to 40-50,000, which usually sent the fan through the shroud and radiator. I finally had mine replaced at around 60,000 miles for peace of mind, which ran about $2,000 requiring working under the bed over the top of the engine or removing the rear radiator.

Shouldn't be any concern with the Cat engine, other than finding out if that bearing has been replaced. The Cat 330 HP engine pushed my 36' Meridian as well or better than the Cummins 450 HP does with my 40' Dutch Star and got about 1 1/2-2 MPG better than the 450 does. Assuming Cat was still supplying engines for motor homes and the choice was there I would have taken the Cat for my 2015 Dutch Star.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar