Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I love full-timing...

Hi Guys,

I have been full-timing for 8 months and I LOVE IT!! And I dearly love my DSDP! It took about an eight month runup to my departure for me to feel prepared, but here I am and I'm planning on being on the road for the next few years, at least. I'm writing this note just to tell others that you should follow your own instincts or intuition about what is right for you. It's good to listen to your heart, too.

I had literally never even been inside a motor home before I bought my '02 DSDP. I wasn't flying blind, though. I had performed EXTENSIVE research not only of the market in general, but of Dutch Stars as well. The end result of all my mental and physical labors is something that makes me proud. I might have the nicest equipped motor home on the planet. Ok, I know that's not true, but with everything I've done to my DSDP I've made it truly mine and a reflection of me. There is no doubt that I bit off a big chunk with my first RV experience, but it was not a mistake. There were naysayers who basically told me it was a mistake of epic proportions to jump into the deep end of the pool so quickly. They would have had me crawl before I walk as a precautionary measure to avoid financial ruin or worse. And to their credit they were offering opinions and advice without actually knowing me. My take is they possessed the best of intentions and were trying to protect me from myself. That's how it is around here. If you're reading this and you're considering a full-timer career just know that going full-time isn't a life or death decision. It's merely a lifestyle adjustment it is a lot easier than the uninitiated might think. And it's really fun and rewarding on a personal level!! If you're the kind of person who welcomes challenges and accepts that life is a continuing education to the very end then you'll love full-timing. Like a car or a stick house things can and will go wrong, but that's part of the challenge. With each and every challenge met comes a real sense of satisfaction and a new level of confidence in my ability to rise to the occasion. Truth is I'm still a rookie on some levels and there are those on IRV2 who have forgotten more about my motor home than I'll likely ever learn. And they are a most valuable asset to access when the need arises. And to them I offer my most humble thanks for all the time they've invested into this forum.

Oh, and one other thing. Full-timing is all about making your RV into a home that feels like home. I have thoroughly enjoyed making the modifications to my DSDP and turning it into my home, surround sound, LED TV's, additional refrigeration and all the other stuff I've changed or added. Sure, I could live without a deep freeze in my basement, but then I wouldn't be able to take near as much food with me. Right now in my deep freeze there are Dolphin and Snapper fillets that I caught here in Hobe Sound, Florida. I'll be thawing them out and grilling them in Montana on the gas grill I've mounted to the side of my coach. That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. So, make your motor home yours by changing up all the stuff that will make your life as a full-timer better and better.

Again, thank you IRV2 for all the help and advice over the last year. You've made my RV life just a little bit easier than it might have been otherwise. Now, if I can only find a good woman who loves to travel then I'll have it all.

Best Regards,

John
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee what's to like about full timing,, Let's see:

Property tax,, A modest home in Easily over 3,000 a year
A modest Class A gasser easily under 400 a year

Electric bill: Easily 100-150 a month, more this summer fo r the house
Or, Well it is included in my less that 100 a month membership dues in the summer
and in the less than 200/month dues + additional parking in the winter.

Gas (natural/Propane) House was easily 100/month in winter less in summer, Motor home I fill the propane tank usually 3 times a year less than 75 dollars a fill.

Snow: Had to be shoveled, Leaves had to be raked.. Now I shovel off to where there is not so much snow you need to shovel it and someone else rakes the leaves.

Gee, I can't find a think to like about full timing... Unless, that is, I look

I fully agree, Full timing is great!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
8 days until we start full-timing! Getting the S & B emptied out and ready for my son to move in to. The wait is driving me nuts but I'm sure the result will be worth it!!

Thanks for the post!

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

And where do you pack the mower? Oh, that's right, you don't need it!
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many safe happy full years in your adventure John and miles to boot.
Time mores faster as you get older, "ENJOY" some of us have come to the end of our travels and we had some great times traveling also.
Full timing just makes it all the better.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Have been fulltiming for 1 year - no house, taxes, local lectric-water bills, insurance on house etc. etc. (in Canada)

Fulltiming is an adjustement in lifestyle and that is what we are doing, adjusting and it is not 100% without little problems.....you just adjust as you go along.........ìt is very different in our Country as compared to the USA, cause we are allowed only 6 months per yr in the US and we have to plan Medical Insurance...the most important insurance of all !!and our WEATHER
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Renden,

I gave my ex-wife the second car and with the exception of a few sentimental family items I also gave her all the contents of my house. I, too, have basically cut the cord. So, where ever I am is where I call home. The adjustment period for me is over. I'm quite comfortable in my DSDP. When I think about it this motor home has everything I have ever needed in a home. It's got a good leather recliner, surround sound, new LED 3D TV's, and all the other amenities that make a house a home. And I don't have to cut the grass! I know there is no such thing as a perfect motor home and I know of a few issues I'm still having to chase, but all in all I'm really happy. I just hope that the next person who owns this motor home will be able to appreciate all of the many mods I'd done to make it so livable.

Hope to see you all on the road on day.

Best, John
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote