Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

I want to add 2nd grab-rail inside stairwell

Our 2008 KSDP only came with a single grab-rail inside the entry stairwell. I've seen that newer Newmars have a second one mounted diagonally under the dashboard. I want one like that.

I asked the Newmar service place where I was yesterday if he could do it and he just said NO. But I'm sure there's a way. I figure that either some plywood backing needs to be added to the inside of the dashboard to stiffen it, or angle-iron bracing needs to be added behind the dashboard.

My immediate problem is that I can't figure out how to get back inside there. There are no visible screws. So I'm wondering if Newmar used automotive type snap fittings (such as found on car interiors).

If anybody has suggestions regarding the grab rail or how to get into the dashboard area there, please let me know.

Here are a couple of photos of our stairwell. I've marked in green where I want to bolt the diagonal grab-rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375_6_7_Smooth -1200.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	250320

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3378_79_80_Realistic-1200.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	250321
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help you on how to mount it but I can say it's a great idea.

We have a friend who fell out of her RV and an extra rail would have possibly prevented it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about mounting but I will say location on 2019 models seems a little better. I have as you are thinking and will say once on the interior steps it becomes a little low. 2019 it is horizontal and a little higher and I noticed it right away when looking at the new models.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"WoodyS".....Under the dash panel where you want to install the grab handle, is a black metal grate that runs from the front door, around the center of the dash and over to the throttle pedal. It has several screws that hold it in place. You need to remove those screws and remove that grate. There are a couple of screws up under the edge of that panel that need to be removed and then the panel will come off. Once off, use some plywood as a backer, glue it on and then add the handle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #5

Don,

Thank you very much! I found those screws. I'll remove them tomorrow and go from there. Gluing on a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" ply was my thinking too. I'll just have to see how much room there is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"WoodyS".....When you reinstall the panel. Push it upward and then install the screws that hold the panel. The reason being, the upper dash rests atop that lower panel. If you don't use a little upward pressure when installing and tightening those screws, the dash will want to flex when you push on it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

How flimsy is the plastic? Now that you know how to access the rear of it, you might need to keep someone from ripping the whole panel off (or damage the console) if they lose their balance. Look to see if you can reinforce the whole panel plus where you'll attach the handles (good idea on the handles though).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:20 PM   #8

Rick,

It turns out, only the curved part of the vertical panel is plastic. The frame is 3/4" x 3/4" solid stringers every 7.5" -- with 3/4" x 3/4" solid wood around the outside. Where the plastic attaches to the straight parts, the curved part of the frame is 3/4" plywood cut to the curve radius with aluminum stapled on both sides.

The actual dashboard top is framed with pieces of 2" x 2" and even some 2" x 4". Then the top is 1/4" plywood with the plastic on top of that. So it's actually pretty strong.

The flat vertical panels attach at the bottom to a bent steel structure -- the black kick-plate with the louvers in it. It rests on bent steel flanges with screws going through the flanges and into the panel's external wood frame.

I cut four blocks of 3/4" ACX plywood to fit between the frame stringers and glued them in with Gorilla Glue. So now I've got a solid 7/8" thick (3/4" plywood and stringers plus the original 1/8" plywood) vertical panel under the dash. I intend to through-bolt the grab handle through all that 7/8" of wood.

The handle is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I'm not sure my handle will fully support 200 lbs., but I think it'll be plenty stiff and solid enough.

When I'm done I'll post photos of the process here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 AM   #9

That's good to know WoodyS
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air