Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
CD vs IFS

I have had an '08 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 for a little over 4 years and about 30,000 miles. It was the first year of the CD, so sensitivity is not adjustable... Why chose between the two since the models with both are so plentiful? It was a good riding/steering coach, but I must say that having Henderson's align both front and REAR axles as well as upgrading to the heavier Koni shocks has made it a real pleasure to drive long distances regardless of the direction/speed of the wind. A previous alignment by another supposedly well respected shop did not cure the constant wandering even with the CD, so now I am a believer that the whole package needs to be considered for the best ride/steering... If you do order the new coach, I would recommend that after you have it loaded and put just a few thousand miles on it, to have both front and real axles aligned and balance ALL tires, not just the front as some shops recommend...
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #72

Alpine Owners Club
Driveability

Try something different! All this debate about CD and IFS. Find an Allegro Bus or Breeze on the Gary Jones designed Tiffen chassis. Take a test drive and you will be sold! I have driven over 200,000 miles on the same chassis on the Alpine Coach and nothing compares. Jones is the race car chassis designer for Jack Rousch.
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Lisa View Post
I have had an '08 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 for a little over 4 years and about 30,000 miles. It was the first year of the CD, so sensitivity is not adjustable... Why chose between the two since the models with both are so plentiful? It was a good riding/steering coach, but I must say that having Henderson's align both front and REAR axles as well as upgrading to the heavier Koni shocks has made it a real pleasure to drive long distances regardless of the direction/speed of the wind. A previous alignment by another supposedly well respected shop did not cure the constant wandering even with the CD, so now I am a believer that the whole package needs to be considered for the best ride/steering... If you do order the new coach, I would recommend that after you have it loaded and put just a few thousand miles on it, to have both front and real axles aligned and balance ALL tires, not just the front as some shops recommend...

The 3900 KS series are plentiful but the 3623, 24, and 25 either DS or KS after 2008 are like hen’s teeth. Also then you start getting in to the problematic emissions controls years. If I was in the market for something longer, I would already own a 37’ DS.

This would do just fine: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...UTS-5009337499

But the DW is set on something smaller so we are goung to “compromise” on a New Aire 3541

And I fully agree on going the extra mile on alignment and tire balance - definitely road force all 6 unless it behaves perfectly. Hopefully I wont have to do anything else on the coach. Im also going to wimp out and buy a little extra warranty time. Im getting lazy and these rigs are just too damn complex.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Weiss View Post
Try something different! All this debate about CD and IFS. Find an Allegro Bus or Breeze on the Gary Jones designed Tiffen chassis. Take a test drive and you will be sold! I have driven over 200,000 miles on the same chassis on the Alpine Coach and nothing compares. Jones is the race car chassis designer for Jack Rousch.

How many miles or hours have you spent driving a Dutch Star? Just want to understand the basis for this statement?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #75

I know many love it.... I am undecided on comfort drive however my experience is only one test drive. I took a Newmar (not sure the model, 40ft tag axel $230k for a used 2017 if I recall) then a 2012 Fleetwood discovery 40x.

Yes the Newmar did everything better on the same road however I felt it was also a much more expensive coach with the tag.

I didn’t like CD in its most boosted setting, preferred it turned way down.

What really impressed me though was how much quieter the Newmar was and the suspension worked better as well. However they were both out of my price range...

For me comfort drive I do not feel would allow me to drive longer. Then again on my honeymoon I went from Chattanooga TN to Bluewater Key RV resort almost at key west in a day, it was around 900 miles if I recall. Driving a 08 Bounder 38P (workhorse) pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Not a drive I would want to do again, I am referring to 900+ miles in a day and also a long day with my x wife.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #76

Comfort drive is a must.

I have a 2008 Country Star. This is the most stress free coach I have had the privilege to own.
CD is misunderstood by many. Key features are as follows:
1. After a few seconds CD senses what you are trying to adapt to. (Example) the high crown in the road or a strong side wind where you normally keep correcting. It will adapt and automatically keep you straight.
2. There is no lash on the steering wheel and you require no adjustment of the wheel.
3.When turning a corner or backing up the moment you release the wheel it goes back to straight. No guessing how much your wheels are cranked.
Comfort steer is about handling. IFS is about the ride.
I can drive 400 to 500 miles on a windy day with uneven roads without much fatigue. I could never do that in my previous coaches. (Previous coaches include Mountain Air, Eagle, Dynasty)
Comfort Steer is a deal breaker for me.
jeffkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
The 3900 KS series are plentiful but the 3623, 24, and 25 either DS or KS after 2008 are like hen’s teeth. Also then you start getting in to the problematic emissions controls years. If I was in the market for something longer, I would already own a 37’ DS.

This would do just fine: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...UTS-5009337499

But the DW is set on something smaller so we are goung to “compromise” on a New Aire 3541

And I fully agree on going the extra mile on alignment and tire balance - definitely road force all 6 unless it behaves perfectly. Hopefully I wont have to do anything else on the coach. Im also going to wimp out and buy a little extra warranty time. Im getting lazy and these rigs are just too damn complex.

Boy that’s quite the upgrade! A new New Aire ! And a 35! Should be an awesome drive.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I know many love it.... I am undecided on comfort drive however my experience is only one test drive. I didn’t like CD in its most boosted setting, preferred it turned way down..
I may be misinterpreting your comment, but if I understand your meaning correctly, your “most boosted setting” was with the knob turned all the way up. This provides the least assistance, and “turned way down” provides the most. That might explain why it seemed odd or unimpressive to you.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Boy that’s quite the upgrade! A new New Aire ! And a 35! Should be an awesome drive.
Yeah it is. It was quite a nice “compromise”. Its all scheduled for late spring 2020 which is coming up soon, and in the mean time Im like a kid waiting for Christmas. It also makes my Bay Star quite a bit more tolerable. I have three short trips scheduled in it which is really what it was intended for. I like the long hauls and Im not up to that riding an F53, but the Bay Star is a pleasant, even charming, little coach and completely sold me on Newmar.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I may be misinterpreting your comment, but if I understand your meaning correctly, your “most boosted setting” was with the knob turned all the way up. This provides the least assistance, and “turned way down” provides the most. That might explain why it seemed odd or unimpressive to you.
The lower number is the least boosted, however, is is important to note that comfort drive is never truly turned off even at its lowest setting
Old 11-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #81

Comfort drive is hands down winner.......
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #82

I think there is widespread disagreement on the meaning of the word "boost" when discussing a CD because the term comes from the conventional power steering world. Boost was a function of how much power was generated by the hydraulics to assist the driver and is always in the direction of the steering torque.

The confusion happens because the CD sometimes provides power in the direction of the steering torque and sometimes provides power in the direction opposite to the steering torque. Which one of those is "boost" and what is controlled by the efforts control?

To be strict in the definitions, the smallest number is the lightest steering efforts and the largest number is the heaviest efforts. Again, the efforts control governs the torque at the steering wheel, NOT at the motor. How much "boost" or "resistance" is generated by the CD is a function of what all is going on it the chassis at that moment and is irrelevant to what is happening at the wheel.

I know it's a losing battle but I wish we could all use the term "efforts" and leave the term "boost" to the hydraulics guys.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Number one, parking lots and camp grounds. Turn it with one finger.
Number 4.5, highway. Takes more to turn the wheel and the assist it provides on the highway is right for me. Told my wife the other day I wish I had CD on my pickup.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #84

Thanks all now if I just knew what IFS and CD was other than music.
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote