Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ignition Switch spins!

Can't fire engine! Key switch doesn't catch and fire engine!

What is the fix?

Very little room to reach up under dash.

How can I get back on the road!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replace the lock cylinder.. I'm serious.. TO do this, assuming a column mounted lock you pull the steering wheel. There is a button on the lock under the wheel.. (or a hole) turn the cylinder till a "Button" appears in the hole. Using a pick or other narrow tool push the button and pull the cylinder out, Key and alll

Go to locksmith.. Hand him cylinder.. And key

Take new properly "keyed" cylindedr and snap it back in (You may need to depress the same button like thing to get it in. REplace wheel, properly torquing the loose nut that holds it so it's not loose. Replace horn button, Install Loose nut behind wheel (ER, that's you and the "nut" eval is per a former co-worker of mine, Frankly I think she's the nut, she'd rather stay in hotels) and try again.

Been there.. Done that.. By the way. I used a scrwdriver so we could go camping till I got to the locksmith.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I "Think" the OP is saying that the cylinder spins in the housing, but won't catch the switch mechanism.

Is this a dash mounted switch?

You really have no choice but to replace the entire ignition switch.
You could try to remove the lock cylinder to see what is broken.
50/50 chance of being the cylinder or the housing.

But since your not trying to match the ignition key, I think the cheaper and easier thing is to just replace the complete ignition switch.

Just to get you running, if you can buy the switch, you will be able to get an idea of how the connector works.
You could unplug the wiring connector, and leave it dangling and then plug in the new switch. This might get you home if you feel you can't access under the dash properly.

Or if you just trying to get back on the road, pop the cylinder, and use a screwdriver to turn it....just like a car thief

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Before you go spending money, try to get to the back of the switch reach underneath the dash, grab the switch and the try turning the key. If it tries to start you will need to tighten the nut that holds the switch to the dash. It is located in the front. They make a special wrench but you may be able to use a screwdriver to tighten. Mine worked loose and I was able to fix mine as I described.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have the dash mounted switch there may be a collar(on mine it Is funnel shaped) there are notches on it that take a special tool as noted above, I used a needle nosed plires held open so the ends of the jaws will engage two of the three notches and turn them to tighten.
You do have to reach under and hold the cylender in place. This is easier on mine when I removed the panel in the dash (4 screws) that held the radio, and various switches. The panel can just hang there with the components such as the radio in place. Then you can reach right in and get the cylinder. If you have the removable cutout panel on the top of the dash in front of the drivers seat you can get someone to reach down and hold the cylender. Need to be careful not to knock loose any connected wires. I took a picture first since factory wiring that is added may not be that tight.
Lots of variety in the setups.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Smile Ignition Switch Spins!

Thanks to all that responded!

I finally spoke with Spartan, and their fix is to move the key to acc
position (approx.), and using a paper clip insert it at the small pinhole at about the 4 o'clock position.

This will depress a spring and the cylinder can be pulled straight out. Keep cylinder at that same position for later insertion.

The BEZEL with the 3 notches on its perimeter is what needs to be tightened.

They said a spanner wrench will fit in the 3 notches. A screwdriver
can be used, just more difficult to do all 3 notches.

Once BEZEL is tight, reinsert cylinder in the exact position that you removed it. Insert till it locks in place again!

You should be good to go!

I will update when I finish the repair!

Again Thanks to all!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Talking Ignition Switch Spins!

Solution was as easy as reaching behind ignition stopping it from spinning; and using an open needle nose to turn the bezel with it's notches.

Unit is a 2004 DSDP with a dash ignition which appears to be GM manufacture.

Thanks to all, good for another 100K miles!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad that worked for you
Old 12-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for sharing it can very well help someone else in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

X2 on what JohnRR said. I have put Spartan's instructions in my "Hints" file for future reference.
Glad you were able to fix it.
Merry Christmas to all!!

Tags
ignition